Cache size descriptions?

The Sidecar Bandit!

Hello! I have a question. I've been digging and digging and I simply CANNOT find a guide that explains the various cache sizes. I know there's an ammo can and a film container simply because they're mentioned so often, but I've yet to find anything that breaks the size categories down. Can someone please spell it out for me, or point me at the page I've been overlooking? Thanks!

~TSB

The latest version of the guidelines seems to have lost the basic summary of cache sizes. Here it is courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

• Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 litres -- typically containing only a logbook)
  • Small (Sandwich-sized Tupperware-style container or similar -- less than approximately 1 quart or litre -- holds trade items as well as a logbook)
  • Regular (Tupperware-style container or ammo can)
  • Large (5 gallon/20 litre bucket or larger)

The latest version of the guidelines seems to have lost the basic summary of cache sizes.

That is a great help, thanks niraD.

You will find the smaller sizes are frequently mislabeled on the cache page. At least that has been my experience. Since there is no description for a "nano" they are frequently labeled "micro". and film can size is frequently labeled "small" in our area. Could be just because of lack of a clearer description in the Guidelines.

You will find the smaller sizes are frequently mislabeled on the cache page. At least that has been my experience. Since there is no description for a "nano" they are frequently labeled "micro". and film can size is frequently labeled "small" in our area. Could be just because of lack of a clearer description in the Guidelines.

The "and smaller" part of the definition for a micro applies to so called nanos - they are properly lableled as micro.

Film cans are the essence of the definition of micro and should also be a micro.

Metal and plastic tubes for fizzy tablets seem to be popular around these parts and I've seen them described as both small and micro, even if I expect more room when a hide is listed as small. <_< They seem pretty waterproof but the plastic aren't as robust.

Overall I find many containers that I would have put in a smaller size category given the guidelines I've seen, so you should probably check what's common for your area. I'd rather have a container listed as a smaller size when it's just between two sizes, but that's just me. Larger box than expected = :grin: