What to do if you're spammed by a solicitor after finding a geocache

First off, not all ISPs provide free blocking, some even charge for such a feature.

If you're contacted by a spammer after finding a geocache, please contact me. I'm well known in other communities for finding people and their personal information, I'll get them to stop.

Sincerely,

Insane Kangaroo

First off, not all ISPs provide free blocking, some even charge for such a feature.

If you're contacted by a spammer after finding a geocache, please contact me. I'm well known in other communities for finding people and their personal information, I'll get them to stop.

Sincerely,

Insane Kangaroo

To stoop to the same levels as a spammer is bad, bad, bad.

To go on the same level as the spammer would be to spam others with nonsense and unsolicited offers.

I go on the offensive by making sure they know it's not okay. If they persist I call their place of employment.

If you don't like it, tough. Nothing I'll say will change your mind.

I'm certainly not a pacifist who will allow rats to trample over me.

Just to be clear.....

You have evidence that folks are receiving junk email simply because they have visited a certain cache and logged it online??

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=247302&view=findpost&p=4333596

To go on the same level as the spammer would be to spam others with nonsense and unsolicited offers.

I go on the offensive by making sure they know it's not okay. If they persist I call their place of employment.

If you don't like it, tough. Nothing I'll say will change your mind.

I'm certainly not a pacifist who will allow rats to trample over me.

Just to be clear.....

You have evidence that folks are receiving junk email simply because they have visited a certain cache and logged it online??

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=247302&view=findpost&p=4333596

forget it. There's no hope.

Edited by bflentje

Just to be clear.....

So the answer would be "NO".

A piece of advertising in a cache is really not uncommon.

I don't find an ad for a coin to be offensive in the least. Besides - sounds like you may be targeting the wrong folks. Some innocent Geocacher may have placed those after receiving good service from the company. Why target the company for that.

Just to be clear.....

You're using one incident, posted 15 May 2010, as evidence that this is a problem?

If it is a problem, then the correct procedure would be to contact Groundspeak.

I don't think that "hiring" you to deal with it is in any way kosher. In fact, I'm wondering if your offer to harass people is legal. Or if it's something that Groundspeak should deal with, seeing as you are using their website/listing service, etc to drum up "customers".

So the answer would be "NO".

A piece of advertising in a cache is really not uncommon.

I don't find an ad for a coin to be offensive in the least. Besides - sounds like you may be targeting the wrong folks. Some innocent Geocacher may have placed those after receiving good service from the company. Why target the company for that.

Read the link again and get back to me when you realize the answer is "YES."

A person was spammed by the owner of the cache after finding said cache.

You're using one incident, posted 15 May 2010, as evidence that this is a problem?

If it is a problem, then the correct procedure would be to contact Groundspeak.

I don't think that "hiring" you to deal with it is in any way kosher. In fact, I'm wondering if your offer to harass people is legal. Or if it's something that Groundspeak should deal with, seeing as you are using their website/listing service, etc to drum up "customers".

Please don't be a smart-allec, it's simply informing who is spamming, etc. there is no change of money or any product, therefore its not "hiring" it's more like tattling on spammers. :)

Just read your other thread.

You really need to get over yourself.

You're confusing spammers and cache owners and people who drop silly advertising into caches. As Groundspeak has informed everyone, the contents of a cache don't fall under the "commercial" guidelines.

It would be more productive to put all that energy towards something helpful and positive.

ibtl

Edited by Pup Patrol

You're confusing spammers and cache owners and people who drop silly advertising into caches. As Groundspeak has informed everyone, the contents of a cache don't fall under the "commercial" guidelines.

It would be more productive to put all that energy towards something helpful and positive.

YOU READ THE OTHER THREAD!

Roo people are idiots who can't read.

Let me try to dumb down the 4-6 sentences in the other thread for you.

1) Found geocache

2) Geocache owner sent me emails trying to sell me things

1) Found geocache

You really should learn how to effectively communicate with people. Because your rude, and threatening tone isn't really the way to go.

I did read the other thread. I pointed out to you that you are carping about a post from a year ago.

Shall I point out the the sticky that is titled "Reporting Abusive Posts or Correspondence" for you?

Here's the link to it:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=238349

If you start harassing people that you accuse of being spammers, you could very well find yourself on the other end of the stick or admin brick.

The "NO" part is that you have the direct evidence and/or that you are a victim and/or that it has happened to anybody else anywhere.

.....and that thread is about an advertisment left in caches.

Yes the thread is, but I linked to a very specific post. If all you did was read the thread title and thought "No" then you fail sir!

Oh, and a "solicitor" is a lawyer.

:rolleyes:

That's one of the definitions for solicitor in a legal manner, yes. i.e. a solicitor for the county

The main definition is:

a person whose business it is to solicit business, trade, etc

:rolleyes:

Please learn about this thing called a "dictionary."

1) Found geocache

Here's a link that may interest you: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

The "NO" part is that you have the direct evidence and/or that you are a victim and/or that it has happened to anybody else anywhere.

.....and that thread is about an advertisment left in caches.

Yes the thread is, but I linked to a very specific post. If all you did was read the thread title and thought "No" then you fail sir!

Dude, do not harass the poor EatStayPlay.com lady a year after she stopped the promotion. And forget about someone from Oregon reporting getting spam email after finding a cache 13 months ago. Oh, and make sure you join PAGA. :ph34r:

Dude, do not harass the poor EatStayPlay.com lady a year after she stopped the promotion. And forget about someone from Oregon reporting getting spam email after finding a cache 13 months ago. Oh, and make sure you join PAGA. :ph34r:

I haven't harassed her, I simply sent an email to the website thanking them for the free tactical targets.

I haven't harassed her, I simply sent an email to the website thanking them for the free tactical targets.

An example of what's wrong with America.

What would you call this? Three of the four threads that you have started or posted in here are about your problems with EatStayPlay. I would call that harassment. Wouldn't you? You have been informed that this is an old problem that has been dealt with to the satisfaction of everyone but yourself, so I think that shows where the real problem lies.

What would you call this? Three of the four threads that you have started or posted in here are about your problems with EatStayPlay. I would call that harassment. Wouldn't you? You have been informed that this is an old problem that has been dealt with to the satisfaction of everyone but yourself, so I think that shows where the real problem lies.

Where the real problem lies... the problem of I shouldn't had to see the geo-SPAM in the first place, OKAY! :anibad:

It's called placing the frustration of having to deal with spam on a public outlet so people know of said spam is still out there.

I generally don't post on these type of forums since I usually don't have anything to say, therefore the only type of posts you will generally see are reports and incidents.

Other people on the other hand love to be keyboard armchair warriors, nothing wrong with that.

Oh never mind then, you're good. :D

Indeed. :rolleyes:

Roo haven't read anything about the "commercial" guidelines, how they don't apply to cache contents or travellers.

Yet you feel justified in creating some misguided campaign about an old, dead issue.

I can only hope that the person you are harassing knows to report you to Groundspeak.

ibtl

I'd never heard of EatStayPlay site until these topics started up about it.

Its almost as if they are actually trying to bring attention to them - in essence advertising for them.

Quick call thier employer!!!

:omnomnom: - I'll join you for some donuts......

Where the real problem lies... the problem of I shouldn't had to see the geo-SPAM in the first place, OKAY! :anibad:

It's called placing the frustration of having to deal with spam on a public outlet so people know of said spam is still out there.

I generally don't post on these type of forums since I usually don't have anything to say, therefore the only type of posts you will generally see are reports and incidents.

Other people on the other hand love to be keyboard armchair warriors, nothing wrong with that.

I am sorry, where is it written that YOU can't be inconvenienced? I love the attitude that some think they have the right to this or that.

I am sorry, where is it written that YOU can't be inconvenienced? I love the attitude that some think they have the right to this or that.

Isn't that somewhere in the Bill of Rights? Or is it the Bible? Constitution? :huh: I give up.

This thread is

part of a global

conspiracy by the

OTO and

ALIEN SHAPESHIFTER INVADERS USING MIND CONTROL TO TAKE OVER THE ENTIRE PLANET IN 2012 USING HYPNOSIS, BACON AND SPAM !!!

but its nothing to get alarmed about. :rolleyes:

MMMMMM.....BACON! AND SPAM!!!! (fried, on toast, with a bit of cheese and mayo please)

Edited by Semper Questio

Seems to me that you still don't have anything to say.

I got a suggestion. Get yourself some stickers and when you find the cache slap a sticker on the outside. Then you don't have to open the cache and get your knickers in a knot because you saw some commercial advertisement. You will be a lot happier.