Found geo-SPAM, collecting geo-SPAM

Hello geocachers!

I just recently started finding caches again, my current count of 21, in Pennsylvania. I moved from Alaska and am disturbed(not insane) by the presence of geo-SPAM in caches.

I found a cache yesterday with geo-SPAM offering free geocoins from eatstayplay.com

Why the coins are geo-SPAM

The website:

1. offers clothing products
  2. offers camping products
  3. offers people to 'advertise with us'
  4. offers an email solicitation
  5. attempts to get geocachers to do photography work for free

I've read some previous forum posts on the topic, and I'd like to share a specific use to which I use these geo-SPAM coins. :anibad:

I have also seen some posts regarding geocaches being linked to spam, I'll make a follow-up post on this issue.

I glue them to a my tactical targets and practice how many times I can hit the specific geocoins while actively moving! :D

You may consider them some form of SPAM, but others may want the coins or even the advertising. As you long as you trade even or up for the questionable (in your eyes, anyway) swag, you can then do with it as you wish.

The coins are spam, aka trash. I take them without trading anything as people should.

You know what they are so.......... maybe just ignore them?????????

No, I do my geocacher responsibility by cleaning trash out of caches.

The eatstayplay promotion is long since over. Yes, it annoyed many people, and Groundspeak received many complaints. She (the owner of the website) was told it was an unauthorized commercial promotion, and ended it. Probably almost a year ago, not totally sure. A very nice lady (I follow her on Twitter and read her blog), who made a bad decision, but it's ovah. Long since ovah. So keep them. You always wanted to try TiddlyWinks anyways, didn't you? :lol:

If you know what to do then why you posting it here asking about what to do?

Speaking up like all decent people should be doing. If you don't speak up, nothing will change.

Misapplied logic. You already mentioned you took care of the problem. Move on. And this is me speaking up.

Yawn, Kim is a super nice person, I spoke with her many times, and I placed 50 of her tokens and got a geocoin at no expense to myself. Her website is a great collection of information, and has been useful to me on more than one occassion. Therefore, not spam to me, but your mileage can (and apparently does) vary.

Needless to say you are about a year late to the party move along like everyone else.

You may consider them some form of SPAM, but others may want the coins or even the advertising. As you long as you trade even or up for the questionable (in your eyes, anyway) swag, you can then do with it as you wish.

The coins are spam, aka trash. I take them without trading anything as people should.

By YOUR definition, but yours is not the one that counts. Have a nice day.

By YOUR definition, but yours is not the one that counts. Have a nice day.

Well, I can't believe I'm going to help Roo out here, but I will. See Roo? This promotion is so long gone and forgotten, you have multiple people posting here who don't even know what you're talking about, and are just reacting to your ranting.

What rules did this promotion that was given a cease and desist order by Groundspeak break? I'll let Eartha explain it here.

EatStayPlay.com would give out free eatstayplay.com geocoins to anyone who agreed to place 50 EatStayPlay.com plastic tokens in Geocaches, tokens which promoted their website, and encouraged others to order 50 themselves to place in caches.

Hello geocachers!

I just recently started finding caches again, my current count of 21, in Pennsylvania. I moved from Alaska and am disturbed(not insane) by the presence of geo-SPAM in caches.

I found a cache yesterday with geo-SPAM offering free geocoins from eatstayplay.com

Why the coins are geo-SPAM

The website:

1. offers clothing products
  2. offers camping products
  3. offers people to 'advertise with us'
  4. offers an email solicitation
  5. attempts to get geocachers to do photography work for free

I've read some previous forum posts on the topic, and I'd like to share a specific use to which I use these geo-SPAM coins. :anibad:

I have also seen some posts regarding geocaches being linked to spam, I'll make a follow-up post on this issue.

I glue them to a my tactical targets and practice how many times I can hit the specific geocoins while actively moving! :D

I'm fairly new to the sport, and this posting and the following controversy (for lack of a better word) sparked my interest and I just had to check out the site. So, by posting this stuff is just going to give the site (it's pretty cool also) more traffic.

The eatstayplay promotion is long since over.

I'd prefer there to be a reprimand due to the spam. The spam is now there, people will buy stuff on their website, they basically received loads of free advertising by breaking the rules they knowingly broke.

I'd prefer if there were a reprimand for general stupidity, but that's probably not going to happen either. So I figure you have two choices. You can let it go like a normal adult might. Or you can continue to make people wonder about your mental capacity and continue to rag on something that hasn't been a problem since before you got "back" into geocaching.

I got one of the eatstayplay geocoins when I first got into geocaching. I also understand people's frustrations with the commercialized nature of the promotion. I don't support it, nor do I condone it. But I do like to see a level of civility in these forums and in geocaching as a whole, and threads like this do not promote it.

I just recovered one of these tokens yesterday.

I did look to see what the catch was about a free coin, but all I found was something about taking some pics for the website. I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't much interested. I didn't see anything about the "promotion" being over, but I just kinda scanned the page.

So, I had to comment. Like beating a dead horse, huh?

I just recovered one of these tokens yesterday.

I did look to see what the catch was about a free coin, but all I found was something about taking some pics for the website. I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't much interested. I didn't see anything about the "promotion" being over, but I just kinda scanned the page.

So, I had to comment. Like beating a dead horse, huh?

Well, she had to change the promotion. Believe me, it used to be "get a free geocoin for dropping 50 plastic tokens in caches" I remember it was a maximum of 5 per cache, and most participants would drop 5 each in 10 caches and be done with it.

I was actually a big critic of this, as there were probably about 10 threads on the subject back in the day. Something that was long since forgotten. Until today, of course. <_<

The eatstayplay promotion is long since over.

I'd prefer there to be a reprimand due to the spam. The spam is now there, people will buy stuff on their website, they basically received loads of free advertising by breaking the rules they knowingly broke.

So what do you think you should get as a reprimand by spreading this free advertising?

For something that ended a year ago? there sure are a lot of the still circulating. I have found them in quite a few caches locally.

They never seem to have caught on around here. I never saw one until I visited Atlanta. I saw a few of them in caches down there, about a year ago.

For something that ended a year ago? there sure are a lot of the still circulating. I have found them in quite a few caches locally.

They never seem to have caught on around here. I never saw one until I visited Atlanta. I saw a few of them in caches down there, about a year ago.

For whatever reason, I seem to find them in Tennessee more than anywhere else, but my finds aren't evenly distributed across all the sates I've found caches in. I took one to see what the deal was, now I just leave them in the cache or trade them for something somebody would actually want.

I just read this awesome book,Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It has the word muggle in it. It means non magical person. I think we should call non geocachers muggles cuz they dont know what geocaching is! How cool is that!!!??? think it will catch on?

A Flogging Molly fan? Cool! Listening to them on Pandora right now!

Sorry for the OT tangent. I return you to your regularly scheduled whatever this is. :blink:

Edited by Semper Questio

Short of something dangerous or illegal, I really don't care what's in a cache.

One man's trash may be another man's treasure. I ain't in the business of determining how high up the swag is on the treasure scale.

It's really easy to just ignore what you don't want to trade for.

I'll save my angst for much more important issues.

I just recently started finding caches again, my current count of 21, in Pennsylvania. I moved from Alaska and am disturbed(not insane) by the presence of geo-SPAM in caches. I found a cache yesterday with geo-SPAM offering free geocoins from eatstayplay.com

21 total finds, only 2 in the past five months, and suddenly you want to start blowing away eatstayplay tokens. Sheesh. You sure you're just disturbed by these things? I'd hate to see what sets you off next.

21 total finds, only 2 in the past five months, and suddenly you want to start blowing away eatstayplay tokens. Sheesh. You sure you're just disturbed by these things? I'd hate to see what sets you off next.

Aw, don't do that. Quoting finds just seem to weaken anything you're trying to say. I don't care if he has 21 finds or 21,000, he seems to be prone to over-reacting. This is the second thread started by him where he ends up promoting what he says he's against. I guess he didn't pick the name "Insane Kangaroo" for nothing.

Edited by Chrysalides

Aw, don't do that. Quoting finds just seem to weaken anything you're trying to say. I don't care if he has 21 finds or 21,000, he seems to be prone to over-reacting. This is the second thread started by him where he ends up promoting what he says he's against. I guess he didn't pick the name "Insane Kangaroo" for nothing.

Wasn't quoting finds to discount his opinion, I was doing it to question his stability/anger management -- since he's only found two caches recently, there's only so many of these tokens he could have come across.

Edited by hzoi

Anyone who wants some of those things come caching in north east Ohio. I think I find a hand full of the things every time I go out on a run. Actually started collecting the things, though I do not yet know what I will do with them. I thought about grinding the ads off and using them as duplicates of geocoins. Any other ideas?