Garmin 62s - recovery of GPX/GC's that ' disappeared'

mikeD

Thought I would share my near disaster experience with the forum

Just back from 6 weeks in HK, australia and thailand. loaded 8 GPX files with 2500 Gc's on to my new 62s with Opensource maps on a micro SD card. [One card for each country]

I Still have a 60CSX and My wife while in Sydney asked the temperature [ near 38C it was] I recalled the 60CSX would give you the temp if you pressed on/off plus Enter. You get a whole load of basic data as well.

I thought I would try it with the 62S. No temperature shown

I then rebooted the 62S and soon found that all GC's on a 40 mile radius had disappeared!!!!!!!!!

The 62s had lost all the data so it seemed

Not realising what I had done and the impact of it I then tried the same again to check the temp. issue . Still no temperature

I rebooted and found that all GC's in a 2000 mile radius had gone!!! .. Didnt have a laptop!

DISASTER!!!!!

A night of analysis and logic thought then followed!

Found a coin slot PC and plugged in the 62s with a USB cable, went to the 'drive' with the 'GPX' folder and the GPX files were still there. They had not disappeared

It seems that doing ' on/off plus enter' some how had removed a link to the GPX files so they were now seen by the 62S

THE FIX

I copied all the GPX files in the GPX folder to the SD card [ just another drive on the PC the drive with the maps].

I then deleted the the files from the GPX folder on the 62s.. Rebooted the 62s - no GC's as expected

Re Attached the 62s to the PC again and copied back the GPX files to their original 'GPX' folder and hey presto

ALL WAS RESTORED!!

Moral

1.dont fiddle with 62s as I did unless you have PC handy..

2.Make sure you have an SD card on board

3.Copy the GPX files to the SD card as well as a back up

Hope this tale helps someone down the track

Mike

An even easier way to avoid the PC issue is to load your GPX files to you uSD card. That way if they dissapear in the field again, you can remove the card, reboot without it, then reinstall and reboot again and *POOF* all of your caches are back. Just put them in the uSD:\Garmin\GPX folder.

The first time that happened to me, I was headed out of town on business, but had a Sunday's worth of travel time to get some caches along the way. After loading in the two or three gpx files into the internal memory my 62s, I set off. When I got near the first location I turned on the gpsr and the only caches listed were from the last gpx file that I loaded - which were for the route home rather than where I was headed.

Fortunately, I had a laptop with me so I could see what was going on. Unfortunately, the battery needs replacement and I had to plug it in to operate. But the place where I was headed was a state park, so I ended up plugging the laptop in a restroom. I was glad that I was the only one there. When I saw that each of the gpx files were on the unit, I copied them to the sd card and all was well.

I contacted Garmin about this problem. After some back and forth, they noted the issue and sent the report to the development team, but blamed geocaching.com for the way it forms gpx files. I thought that if the unit could read them on the sd card, it should be able to read them in internal memory, so something else might be going on, but whether Garmin will address it is another matter.

Since then, I have been loading the gpx files to the sd card. But the other day, the unit failed to read the gpx files there until I copied them into internal memory. So now I always check before heading out the door. Bullygoat29's method of reinserting the sd card might have been helpful to try.

Edited by mulvaney

Thank you both for your feedback & experience

I tried Bullygoats method and it works.

What I did by way of test was to have 1 GPX on internal memory- no SD card -GPSr read that OK

then

deleted that single file then

put in Sd card with 3 GPX files ie the original GPX plus 2 others - booted and GPSr read all three

[ for clarity I set up a new folder under GARMIN on the SD card called GPX ie GARMIN/GPX and put the GPX files in that]

It seems that if there is no 'readable or existing GPX file ' on internal memory the GPSr goes to look at the SD card and reads from there. if it is set up as above

Is that your take on how it seems to work?

Mike

As we have agreed have the GPX files on the SD card as a backup!

Note my previous post here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269464

Have you tried this?....

1) Delete all gpx files in the garmin/gpx directory ( back up any that you want to keep )

2) Unplug usb from PC

3) Reboot GPS. wait for it to fully load the map screen.

4) Reconnect usb

5) Load the new gpx files to the garmin/gpx directory and copy across those that you saved and want in the gps

6) Unplug usb from PC

7) Turn on the gps and view all details in the gpx files incl new caches.

I think this is one of those things that Garmin claim is GC.com fault..... I dont know why tho...... just read it in another thread.

The above works everytime for me on the 62s - a pain I know, but at least it works for me.....

Hope this helps.

Steve