Connecticut Cache

cjvas7

I am new at geocaching and have started my search with the cache nearest me on my own campus at CCSU. It is called CCSU Altitude, and my roommate and I have gone to the site where the cache is supposed to be twice now without success. It is a micro and supposedly one of the more difficult ones in the area, but we figured we'd give it a go. I understand the hints are supposed to be vague, but a few of them seem to contradict what others that found it have reported and despite a lot of brainstorming and searching we have not found it. I am just curious as to whether or not anyone is familiar with this cache and has found it, and if so, do you have any advice that could be helpful in terms of search technique or something of that nature? I enjoy a challenge but we have just come up empty at every turn. Thank you!

First of all, the cache is rated at 3.5 stars for difficulty. Beginners should generally start off with caches rated much lower. Secondly, the cache description states that it is a nano. Those can be as small as a dime. The cache owner states that he was able to obtain some very small containers. Taking the hint into consideration, I would look on the side of the building for something related to four and start feeling areas that I can't see.

For those who might try to help out, it is this cache.

We're probably going to attempt an easier one first now that we understand what we're dealing with even though it is tempting. We narrowed it down to the parking garage and we tried the fourth floor, stairwell number four, etc. We may try again this weekend. Thank you!

Where's the conflicting hints? I see only a single, one-word hint.

It sure looks like a fun cache though, after reading (many) of the logs. I would chime in with the other posters though -- hunt up some other caches before trying this one, if nothing else, you get a gist of how to go about it. Your mind will automatically formulate a hunting plan. Even at that, this one just may require out-of-the-box thinking.

OK, gotcha now. There is only one hint -- info gleaned from logs would be clues, not hints.

As others have pointed out, a common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.