Map Info

I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and will be going to Madeira in April and wanted to leave a TB on the Island. My question is, is the built-in worldwide basemap good enough to get me to a cache on the Island or do i need to buy a map of the Island if one is available?

TIA

Frickley56

I have an Oregon 300 and don't rate the basemap much at all. I've experimented with an OS-based map on the same device, and didn't find that much use either, compared to my old pocketphone and a copy of memorymap.

Personally, I'd buy a map when you get there - apart from anything else, it'll make a great souvenir when you get home!

We are going to Majorca in May and I have grabbed the Open Street Map tiles into Memory Map for use on my pda. I am not sure if this process could be used on your GPSr as it was a fair amount of work getting them calibrated. I thought it was worth the effort - YMMV

Cheers,

Trevor

Edited by T.R.a.M.P.

I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and will be going to Madeira in April and wanted to leave a TB on the Island. My question is, is the built-in worldwide basemap good enough to get me to a cache on the Island or do i need to buy a map of the Island if one is available?

TIA

Frickley56

When I was in Madeira I used my phone to cache and I didn't have a map at all! It was still fine :). Of course having a map would be better..

I recommend 'Funchal Walkabout' as one of the first caches you do as you'll get to know downtown Funchal that way.

You don't actually need maps (shock... horror)... Old Skool geocachers actually found caches by 'following the arrow' (really...? surely not) :ph34r::lol:

Yes, but we also had to climb over cliffs, wade rivers, cut across fields etc... when a map would have things so much easier... maybe it's going soft... but that's progress. Oziexplorer works well on a PDA, not sure about phones though... Max

They come from OpenStreet Map, so it depends on how heavily people have mapped the area. Best way to check is to zoom in fairly close to the area you want (either on that map or directly on OpenStreet Map), then do a quick comparison with some thing like google maps. If you feel that too much is missing use some thing else.

I've seen that link around - has anybody used these maps before? Are they any good?

Am thinking about trying them out for the USA maps that I'll need sooner or later.

I gave them a bit of a test run a while ago. Works quite well for routing, but obviously contains no topo data and address search is not working either (a common problem with non-garmin maps). If you don't need either of that, then you're good to go, assuming the area is well mapped as explained above.

I've seen that link around - has anybody used these maps before? Are they any good?

Am thinking about trying them out for the USA maps that I'll need sooner or later.

Yes, I used them on holiday in Menorca last year. They work very well, but as has already been said the detail and coverage is dependent on the locals updating them, but where we were they seemed spot on. Have a look around the areas you're travelling to and you should get some ideal of the level of detail.

You don't actually need maps (shock... horror)... Old Skool geocachers actually found caches by 'following the arrow' (really...? surely not) :ph34r::lol:

Yes, but we also had to climb over cliffs, wade rivers, cut across fields etc...

...through back gardens, almost through someone's house, up more dead end roads than I care to mention. No idea how I stayed in one piece with my first yellow etrex.