How often do you let someone else "find" the cache?

Ok, so kids aside - we've all done that.

How often do you take your wife, or friend, or father, or cousin, etc... usually a non-cacher. You obviously have the experience, and can often walk directly into an area with your eye on "THAT stump," or "THAT little black area there that nobody else would stick their hand." I enjoy introducing somebody to caching and having a friend along is alway a plus! So sometimes I have found the cache and have said something to the effect of "oh, I found it," but have left it in place for the other person... almost like teaching them the hiding habits - to think like a cacher. On the other hand, I have seen the cache before, and waited for 15 or more minutes for someone else to spot it. I think finding that first hide, on your own, is what makes the experience worth duplicating.

Have any of you done this? Thoughts?

I'm new to geocaching and the person who introduced me to it hadn't gone many times. Hadn't even logged any of his finds on geocaching.com. We are going every week now and I'm hooked. We have a competition between the two of us as to who can find it first. So far he's ahead by a few caches. He has, on this last "trip", found a couple and would say "I found it" and then leave me to look for it before pulling it out from hiding. We are having a blast at this new competition. :anibad::laughing:

got back into the hunt because a employee at new store location for the company i work for was talking about caching

got me hooked again

one night i was glued to the gps and he was not just using geo-sense found it first and goes

"does it look like this?" so from that point on which ever one of us finds it first goes does it look like this?

Well, as newbies me & my family are still forming our traditions, so I appreciate this a lot. So far my older child has been the eagle eye to spot it first on two, I found two, my hubs kicked a rock to find one (no, not a micro, an ammo can that went "THUNK!") and my younger child found one first. Thinking about it we all tend to do gestures instead of necessarily saying anything. I happy dance, hubs fist pumps, the girls just jump up & down waving wildly.

Now I know why people look at cachers like we are crazy....

Why say anything?? :unsure:

Just pretend to look and yet wander off a bit and then watch the others try to find what you found. All of a sudden it will dawn on the others that you aren't looking at all and they will wonder just what you saw that they missed. :laughing:

My personal favorite is "find it, sign it and re-hide it without the others noticing so they are surprised to see your signature in the log when they do finally find it."

I take out new cachers a lot, so I generally find it and then move away as if I didn't find it and keep looking casually, and then finally they realize I'm not looking at all anymore. "Have you already found it?"

Once it backfired, because she didn't look "there" because I had looked there already. I didn't realize she was watching so closely.

Another time I was hiking in the woods with two friends. I hadn't seen them in a long time, so I was happy letting the husband take my GPS and search while I chatted with his wife.

After a nice afternoon, the woman said it's getting near time to get the kids. We still had three left and I was out of my home state, so would not be back any time soon. I asked her if I could look for the last three if I only looked for 30 seconds each. She looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Ok, you can have 30 seconds each cache." I asked for my GPS back. I grabbed each of the last three in under 30 seconds with no problems.

After we got back into town the husband made me a list of the caches in town he had been unable to find. :laughing:

Never. If I see even a hint that they might be onto finding the cache before I do, I lower my shoulder and torpedo myself into their chest area, knocking them flat on their back. Then when I find the cache, I place one foot on their chest while they are still lying down, raise the cache over my head and yell as loud as I can "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL! I HAVE THE POWER!!!"

Or maybe I just stand silently astride them, hands in my pockets, watching them desperately trying to find the cache to avoid my snickering and toe-tapping impatience.

Actually, the person whom I usually cache with the most knows when I've found the cache because I'll kind of stop and start talking about something abstract. Like the wind speeds on Neptune or how to build a perpetual motion machine or some such thing. He'll keep looking and chatting with me about it for a few minutes before he'll look at me and ask "ok, how long ago did you find it?" Makes me smile everytime.

Never. If I see even a hint that they might be onto finding the cache before I do, I lower my shoulder and torpedo myself into their chest area, knocking them flat on their back. Then when I find the cache, I place one foot on their chest while they are still lying down, raise the cache over my head and yell as loud as I can "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL! I HAVE THE POWER!!!"

The video that just played back in my mind is awesome... Just want you to know that! :lol: