The rest of the story

WINGRIDERS1998

The rest of the story from my point of view:

I have to add to my wife’s post on this cache. We got home from a day of caching with PrtyPJ & Tat2Rik. When we get home we see a new puzzle cache came out.

(GC2FMP1) The rest of the group decides to try and solve the puzzle as I fix dinner. About 9 pm, the wife says the group has this solved and do I want to go try for a FTF. By now I’m done for the night and decide to stay home. The rest of the group ran out to find this cache.

About 11pm, I decide to go to bed. This is taking a long time for them to find, but it’s also a walk in the woods. Fast asleep at 12:30 am, the phone rings. Its Tat2Rik. About all I hear is, “we are lost!” then the phone goes dead. Great- they are in trouble in the woods. So now I have a decision to make about what to do. Do I call 911, or go and try and find them? They have all the hand GPS’s with them.

Finally, I get another call from Rick with their coordinates. It is now about 1am. I pull up the cords on Google earth to see where they are located at. About 2 weeks ago, when we were out caching, there was a guy selling fishing gear and he had a boat horn for sale. This is the type that you just blow though a little hole in the side and it’s really load. Everyone thought I was crazy when I got it as we don’t even have a boat.

Ok I can do this. I get my gear and head out for the woods. I find our car parked in front of a locked gate and a dirt road heading into the woods. Also not much moon out tonight. I honk the car horn a few times and listen- nothing. Ok.. time for a walk. So I start up the road blowing this boat horn every few minutes. I walk to the end of the road about half of a mile. I had, before this, made the decision there was no way I was going to take the chance of walking deep in the woods. So I just stay in this one spot and blow the horn every few minutes hoping they can follow the sound. I can finally hear yelling in the distance- yea it is working! The 3 of them walk out of the woods to this road about 2:30 am.

There were some real lessons learned on this outing. Always carry backpack with us. Buy and carry a whistle with us. Thank God this turned out the way it did. Hopefully it will get others to stop and think about being prepared when geocaching. That’s the rest of the story. ALL BE SAFE OUT THERE.

WOW, I have several of your new caches on my watch list and will go after them soon. I know where little field is. We owned a Piper Cruiser and also a Archer. Always wondered if you could land a real plane on the runway. From the air it looks like a solid blacktop but is just a fabric runway. It is long enough to land and takeoff in a super cub. Don't think the model plane guys would appreciate that. Anyway happy your boat horn worked. I carry either a Walther or S&W model 17 revolver in case we get in trouble. Three shots in the air can carry a long ways. Actually worried more about wild dogs or cougars since we are too old to try for FTF day or night.

The horn is a Safety Blaster.

They did not mark the car. Wife tried to track back but had no luck with it. Lesson learned.

Thanks Dick hope you enjoy are caches. I thought about my gun but boy that would have been a lot of shots.

A lot was done wrong that night I did not post this to make fun of them but hope others will learn from it.