Useless Hints

Cbfgf ba guvf gbcvp? Lbh qba'g arrq ab fgvaxvat cbfgf! Ohg vs lbh jnag zl vafvtug, rznvy zr, nygubhtu V znl be znl abg qrpvqr gb ercyl. Fgvyy, vs rabhtu crbcyr qb abg ercyl gb guvf gbcvp V znl rqvg zl cbfg gb nqq zl gubhtugf ng fbzr yngre gvzr. Gura ntnva, V zvtug whfg cbfg fbzrguvat pbzcyrgryl bss gbcvp, yvxr jura V sbhaq n pnpur guvf jrrxraq gung uvagrq gung V fubhyq "gernq yvtugyl" jura vg jnf guebja vagb n ohfu, gjb be guerr srrg bss gur tebhaq. Ohg creuncf gur orfg guvat gb qb vf gb zrnfher gur yratgu bs guvf guernq ntnvafg fbzr obql cneg gung jbhyq or irel qvssrerag sbe zr guna vg vf sbe lbh. Ubjrire, vg zvtug uryc vs lbh tb qbja n cntr qrcraqvat ba ubj lbh unir gurfr sbehzf frg, be vf vg hc n cntr, naq ybbx sbe vafvtug gurer.

A local guy once hid a cache where the clue decoded to say, "catfish lips". It had NOTHING to do with the hide. He annoyed quite a few folks with that one. I told him people didn't appreciated it AT ALL and he removed the "hint" after that.

I've seen a few scary hints around... Well... the english translations are scary. I can understand them, but only because I know Swedish and understand what words they are confusing for other words. Come to think of it, some have quite horrid english versions of the cache descriptions too.

I had written "Feel free to email if you want a hint" in the hint box on one of my hides, but after reading several of the posts in here I erased it and left the field blank. Originally I thought that leaving that note would let folks know that I have no problem giving hints, but like I said after reading some of the posts in here I guess it was maybe a useless hint. Any thoughts?

I had written "Feel free to email if you want a hint" in the hint box on one of my hides, but after reading several of the posts in here I erased it and left the field blank. Originally I thought that leaving that note would let folks know that I have no problem giving hints, but like I said after reading some of the posts in here I guess it was maybe a useless hint. Any thoughts?

Put it in the description. I've seen that on cache listings.

I would suggest you put your wiilingness to provide hints after a DNF right in the body of the cache page. Post a DNF and ask for a hint. Ask for a hint without any prior posting? Pack sand. Just my opinion. :) Why force cachers to decipher to the hint to find out you are willing to assist?

I would suggest you put your wiilingness to provide hints after a DNF right in the body of the cache page. Post a DNF and ask for a hint. Ask for a hint without any prior posting? Pack sand. Just my opinion. :) Why force cachers to decipher to the hint to find out you are willing to assist?

As I said I did erase what I wrote in the hint box. And I give folks hints all the time even without a dnf. To me geocaching is whatever is fun for that individual, if they want to post a dnf great, if not thats fine too. One of my hides would probably have more dnf's than finds without hints. And just a few posted dnf's, but as the old saying goes, thats no skin off my teeth.

Edited by Azisbest

Put it in the description. I've seen that on cache listings.

Good idea, I might just do that. Thanks. PS. A smarter geocacher might have figured out that on his own (smacking forehead), lol.

I saw one hint that said, "be sure to brush your lower teeth"

The cache was out in a wooded area.

Now what the heck does that mean???

So I went looking for something that looked like lower teeth. I found a log that kinda looked like it might have had a mouth; searched it thoroughly. Nothing. Searched the whole area. Nothing.

Came back a second time and finally found it. There was nothing around it I could remotely call teeth. I have no idea.

So I went looking for something that looked like lower teeth. I found a log that kinda looked like it might have had a mouth; searched it thoroughly. Nothing. Searched the whole area. Nothing.

Came back a second time and finally found it. There was nothing around it I could remotely call teeth. I have no idea.

Was it lower, in the brush?

Sol seaker has to be pulling our leg as that is exactly how I would have taken the hint.

Just give a proper hint, and encode it, or don't give a hint. I may not be returning soon, or perhaps never. Emailing you for a hint will not be an option. The hint doesn't need to be a giveaway... if the cache is supposed to be a tough one, then consider a tougher hint as well. But don't play games with hints like that. Those seeking your cache will appreciate it.

Sol seaker has to be pulling our leg as that is exactly how I would have taken the hint.

Not me. I immediately took it to mean that it is down low in some brush. The "Teeth" part was simply added to turn it into a sentence.

I too was going to ask who REALLY decrypts the hint in the field. Before I went electronic, my print outs had the hints decoded. But I suppose there are those that do.

Before I went electronic, I always hand decrypted the hints. I don't want to read the 'help' until I need/want it. This did lead to problems at times - such as the time I decrypted the wrong hint/cache. That sent me way off base...

But did it ever send you over the edge to the point of where you started cursing four letter words? <_<

Actually, that error (wrong hint/wrong cache) did send me over the edge. Over the edge of the old road/trail onto a very steep and loose slope leading to a good size river. While I didn't say anything outloud, my thoughts can't be shared here. :ph34r:

Just give a proper hint, and encode it, or don't give a hint. I may not be returning soon, or perhaps never. Emailing you for a hint will not be an option. The hint doesn't need to be a giveaway... if the cache is supposed to be a tough one, then consider a tougher hint as well. But don't play games with hints like that. Those seeking your cache will appreciate it.

At the very least, if you (the collective) feel compelled to use "Feel free to email if you want a hint" as your hint, place it between the brackets so it shows as unencrypted.

Not me. I immediately took it to mean that it is down low in some brush. The "Teeth" part was simply added to turn it into a sentence.

Yeah, that's what I said. :P

I too was going to ask who REALLY decrypts the hint in the field. Before I went electronic, my print outs had the hints decoded. But I suppose there are those that do.

Before I went electronic, I always hand decrypted the hints. I don't want to read the 'help' until I need/want it. This did lead to problems at times - such as the time I decrypted the wrong hint/cache. That sent me way off base...

But did it ever send you over the edge to the point of where you started cursing four letter words? <_<

Actually, that error (wrong hint/wrong cache) did send me over the edge. Over the edge of the old road/trail onto a very steep and loose slope leading to a good size river. While I didn't say anything outloud, my thoughts can't be shared here. :ph34r:

Wait, you're not that dude on the TV commercial that follows his GPS navigation right over the cliff, are you?

Edited by bflentje

Nope, it's a real hint. I know exactly what cache he's talking about, and no, it doesn't make any sense to me either. I did eventually find the cache myself.

Nope, it's a real hint. I know exactly what cache he's talking about, and no, it doesn't make any sense to me either. I did eventually find the cache myself.

The CO did realize it means cache finding hints right??? Not like helpful hints around the house. Reminds me of Mom..."always wear clean socks and underwear, you never know when you might be in an accident".:laughing:

Yeah, that's what I said. :P

Actually it was under a log (now you can go find it :laughing: )

When asked about it, the CO said the hint was about the teeth. WHAT about the teeth, though, he failed to illuminate us on.

HEY!! Someone from my neck of the woods!!

I've even found two of your caches! How about that?

I begin to thing there are no other cachers from the area on the forums. Good to meet one.

another bad hint was one where it was a nano, and that was not mentioned, but the CO put that it was magnetic.

There was a picnic bench you could look at for hours.

I just had a feeling on this one, and found it in a small hole in the tree.

Yeah, it was magnetic, but that doesn't mean it was stuck to anything metal.

another bad hint was one where it was a nano, and that was not mentioned, but the CO put that it was magnetic.

Well duhhh. Thank you Sol seaker !!!! I think you just solved one I have not been able to find, with that exact hint.:blink:

I begin to thing there are no other cachers from the area on the forums. Good to meet one.

Most of the other PNW people prefer to hide in the PNW regional forums, and avoid the crazyness out here in the regular forums.

Most of the other PNW people prefer to hide in the PNW regional forums, and avoid the crazyness out here in the regular forums.

Hey SS, what do you think of as your area? I am certainly here on a regular basis as are a few others. :)

That's just mean.. unless the cache was rated properly. :huh:

Actually it was under a log (now you can go find it :laughing: )

When asked about it, the CO said the hint was about the teeth. WHAT about the teeth, though, he failed to illuminate us on.

And did you have to get so low your jaw was dragging on the ground in order to see it?

Doug 7rxc

Wait, you're not that dude on the TV commercial that follows his GPS navigation right over the cliff, are you?

Nope, this was back with Garmin GPS 12 that only used miles for distance, 0.01 (52.8 feet) was the lowest it read, so you had a 100 foot circle to explore.

I've seen a cache that was described as "a magnetic hide-a-key", which was an accurate description of the container. But the magnetic hide-a-key wasn't hidden on anything metal. I don't mind misdirection like this in the cache description, but misleading hints are inconsiderate.

I've also seen "zntargvp" used as a hint on caches where there was nothing magnetic for the cache to be attached to. In those cases, the hint really meant that you could use a magnet to find the cache.

I wonder how many people actually hand-decode the hint. I know of one, but not more.

huh..."decode"???? When you are a bit serious about geocaching you can read it without having to decode it :P

Personally it doesn't bother me when there is a useless hint... it bothers me when the cache turns out to be yet another boring film canister... seems some people place a cache just for the hell of it. I really appreciate it

when the CO put effort in making an original cache or find a real nice location for the cache ... (sorry it is off topic)

Nope, this was back with Garmin GPS 12 that only used miles for distance, 0.01 (52.8 feet) was the lowest it read, so you had a 100 foot circle to explore.

I had/have actually, a GPS45xl which was prior to the 12. Same limitations even in metric... which is why UTM was popular...

But it seldom held still down to that finer resolution... then there was SA and low sensitivity... of course not any Geocaching either. Never stopped me from finding when I did start, I still like to start with it then switch to Map 60cx. It is a lot simpler to use (45) but I do like the newer one...

Doug 7rxc

Hey SS, what do you think of as your area? I am certainly here on a regular basis as are a few others. :)

Hey WRASTO! I didn't realize we were neighbors!!

Let me know if you want to go caching sometime!!

Saturday I was traveling to a conference, and decided it would be a good opportunity to color in a couple of counties on my map. So I was looking for easy caches near the interstate.

I stopped for one located right off the Interstate, difficulty 1.5, terrain 2. I parked in a Wendy's parking lot near the coordinates, and my GPS was pointing into the street. So I decoded the hint.

It said "THINK DUH DUH DUH ITS NOT THAT HARD." Yes, all in caps. My first thought was a phrase that I cannot type in this family-friendly forum. My second thought was, "there's another film can a tenth of a mile from here, I think I'll go find that one."

If you're not going to put a useful hint, why not leave the field blank? Why would a CO choose to insult the person who is looking for his cache?

OK, rant over. Discuss.

Saturday I was traveling to a conference, and decided it would be a good opportunity to color in a couple of counties on my map. So I was looking for easy caches near the interstate.

I stopped for one located right off the Interstate, difficulty 1.5, terrain 2. I parked in a Wendy's parking lot near the coordinates, and my GPS was pointing into the street. So I decoded the hint.

It said "THINK DUH DUH DUH ITS NOT THAT HARD." Yes, all in caps. My first thought was a phrase that I cannot type in this family-friendly forum. My second thought was, "there's another film can a tenth of a mile from here, I think I'll go find that one."

If you're not going to put a useful hint, why not leave the field blank? Why would a CO choose to insult the person who is looking for his cache?

OK, rant over. Discuss.

OK, rant over. Discuss.

I know. went to a cache the other day/ Hint said "Broken Log". When I got there, the GZ was loaded w/ old and broken logs! No help at all.

BTW, Really like your Citz. W. reference.

I debated but finally decided I needed to ask what happened to cause you to post three replies with nothing, and you haven't posted for a while. Dead batteries in the mouse? :P

Sorry, this may be slightly off-topic...

We have few caches with hints. Most were added after numerous emails. It seems that many today are more interested in finding them quickly and want hints.

We never intentionally designed the hides that way.

We have a cache called "Black Rock". Do we really have to explain that to anybody?

Yet we get emails, when it is the only one of it's kind (and big!) in an old farm wall.

On another cache, the hint says "magnetic" on what appears to be a little wooden bridge, but it does have metal feet. Few look - and we get emails.

Now I do understand the hints "in the rocks" in a boulder field and "behind the pine" in a pine barren is useless, but when did it become a given to include hints at all?

I thought part of the fun after the hike to it was the search.

Was the cache in some ROOTS (lower part of the teeth)?

Was the cache in some ROOTS (lower part of the teeth)?

I don't believe so. (I've found the same cache)