Unable to Delete Admin Log

mhuska

It appears that newer messages now posted by Admin/Reviewers can not be deleted by the cache owner. When attempting to do so, you receive this message:

Sorry. You can't delete this log.

Here is my problem with this… I had a cache where the log went to mush so I disabled it so I wouldn’t hear any more complaints about it. Due to the snowy weather, being busy, etc. I did not get to it for a month so a reviewer posted a note. I had no idea it would get archived since I didn’t reply (and I always thought I would be able to get to it soon) but it did get archived. I got it un-archived and then I replaced the container, log, etc. to get the whole thing back online. My point is there were several Admin/Reviewers logs in all this correspondence on the cache page that just made a lot of noise for future finders so I deleted them all (who cares about all these problems as people read through logs for hints, etc.). If anything like this happens in the future, I won’t be able to delete them which really annoys me!

It appears that newer messages now posted by Admin/Reviewers can not be deleted by the cache owner. When attempting to do so, you receive this message:

Here is my problem with this… I had a cache where the log went to mush so I disabled it so I wouldn’t hear any more complaints about it. Due to the snowy weather, being busy, etc. I did not get to it for a month so a reviewer posted a note. I had no idea it would get archived since I didn’t reply (and I always thought I would be able to get to it soon) but it did get archived. I got it un-archived and then I replaced the container, log, etc. to get the whole thing back online. My point is there were several Admin/Reviewers logs in all this correspondence on the cache page that just made a lot of noise for future finders so I deleted them all (who cares about all these problems as people read through logs for hints, etc.). If anything like this happens in the future, I won’t be able to delete them which really annoys me!

You cant delete history, and the online logs are only a reflection of that. If it doesn't occur that often, then don't worry about it, just take preventive steps.

Writing only for myself, I can say that volunteer reviewers really don't want to be drawn in to unresolved cache maintenance issues and there are good ways to relieve them of that task. First is to resolve cache problems when they are first noted in a log. If there is a reason why that cannot be done right away, adding a note to the cache page stating why there will be a delay and providing a date by which the issue will be resolved lets the community and the reviewer know that the issue has not been forgotten.

Let me see if I got this right. You failed to maintain your cache. A reviewer posted a note asking you to. When you failed to respond to the reviewer note he archived it (as I am sure was mentioned in the first reviewer log) and now you are irritated that this is on the record. A simple one line response would have taken care of it.

Don't blame the reviewer. You are actually lucky that it was unarchived since they rarely do that and gratitude would be the best thing expressed for their patience and understanding.

Edited by Walts Hunting

If you don't like Admin logs, don't let the cache get to the point Admins post logs...

I'd just let them slip down the page. PQ's only show the last 5 logs anyway.

I think we the co should be able to delete those admin logs. Its our cache and if we don't want them on there then they should be deleted if we so desire. If someone posts something a log I don't like I delete. Simple as that. History or not.

If you don't like Admin logs, don't let the cache get to the point Admins post logs...

I think we the co should be able to delete those admin logs. Its our cache and if we don't want them on there then they should be deleted if we so desire. If someone posts something a log I don't like I delete. Simple as that. History or not.

Your cache. Thier website.

Writing only for myself, I can say that volunteer reviewers really don't want to be drawn in to unresolved cache maintenance issues and there are good ways to relieve them of that task. First is to resolve cache problems when they are first noted in a log. If there is a reason why that cannot be done right away, adding a note to the cache page stating why there will be a delay and providing a date by which the issue will be resolved lets the community and the reviewer know that the issue has not been forgotten.

Hear, hear! B) B) B)

In most cases a simple "I'm right on top of that, Rose!" log should suffice if the reviewer posts a 'What's going on with this?' log. Playing the devil's advocate, though, I must admit that I have seen reviewers occasionally miss or ignore those owner logs and post another 'What's taking so long?' right on top of the 'What's going on' log.

Just like you don't have the power to delete reviewer logs, you don't have teh authority to delete logs just because you don't like them.

Just add a maintenance log explaining that the cache's issues have been resolved.