Taken to the police station?

Once when we were Night geocaching in San Jose California....in a bad area.... We were stopped by an officer (who stayed inside his car). He asked us what we were doing in this area at night. We explained that our friends hid something here for us to find. The officer said "If your friends hid something around here for you to come and find....You need new friends!" Then he drove away. :laughing:

Never been stopped or questioned after almost 2k finds in 43 states, but the wife and I did have an APB put out on us once for a few hours. We were caching in our old home town and in the rain. The wife (who was closest to GZ) left truck and ran to place the cache back under a tree. Apparently a mailman saw her and called it in as suspicious.

We were still caching in the same area for a several hours and even saw several patrol cars and officers (they never saw us). A little while later my wife's cell phone rings and it's her brother (a deputy sheriff). He asks her if we found a cache under the oak tree near the old hospital. He then described to her how she replaced it under the tree, what she was wearing and the vehicle we were on.

Since he doesn't cache (but knows we do), we're wondering how he knew all of this...

He had heard at the station about a contraband drop earlier that day. The sheriffs office confiscated the container, but never opened it. When he heard the description of the vehicle and the girl, a light bulb went off. He had them open the container, found the log and saw our names... and called off the APB. B)

Edited by Nashional

Never been stopped or questioned after almost 2k finds in 43 states, but the wife and I did have an APB put out on us once for a few hours. We were caching in our old home town and in the rain. The wife (who was closest to GZ) left truck and ran to place the cache back under a tree. Apparently a mailman saw her and called it in as suspicious.

We were still caching in the same area for a several hours and even saw several patrol cars and officers (they never saw us). A little while later my wife's cell phone rings and it's her brother (a deputy sheriff). He asks her if we found a cache under the oak tree near the old hospital. He then described to her how she replaced it under the tree, what she was wearing and the vehicle we were on.

Since he doesn't cache (but knows we do), we're wondering how he knew all of this...

He had heard at the station about a contraband drop earlier that day. The sheriffs office confiscated the container, but never opened it. When he heard the description of the vehicle and the girl, a light bulb went off. He had them open the container, found the log and saw our names... and called off the APB. B)

But did they ever put the cache back?

If you aren't guilty of doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to worry about. If they want to be DB's, let them have their power trip because they know they can't do anything if you aren't breaking any laws. Give them the respect they deserve and you'll be on your way in no time.

We've been investigated over half a dozen times since we started and as long as we're truthful, we have no problems with law enforcement. One time, two officers even aided us with their bright flashlights and helped us make a find.

One time, Flintstone5611 and I were on our way back to the vehicle after finding a cache which we parked in the middle of a field in the winter and discovered it was surrounded by three police cars. Apparently someone called them saying we were doing drugs...what the? We weren't even nervous because we knew we weren't doing anything wrong. It was funny too because they told us if their police cars get stuck in the snow they are going to be pissed. Freddie said, "we didn't tell you to come flying in and park there", LMAO!

Just don't act like the crazy half of TartNTangy, who(for some unknown reason) runs like Gump whenever they see any kind of law enforcement, even park rangers. One time, they pretty much ran down a camp site trail right into the river!

My wife is paranoid of this happening to us. We've been caching for a few months now, and every time we go searching for a cache, she makes a comment that she thinks we're going to get arrested. For me, it's not a big deal. The only incident we've had has not been from a LEO, but from a security guard in an old red pick-up. There's an abandoned Wal-Mart building here that has a nano next to it. For some reason, they have 24 hour security there, and anytime you even pull into the parking lot, the red pick-up will begin to follow you. If you get out, she'll say something to you, and even if you explain to her what you are doing, she threatens to call the cops. People have been able to get it, but it's when she's been off duty and another one is there in her place. It's not on private property, and the owner has permission to have it placed there, but the security guard just likes to shove her weight around and make life harder for people trying to find it.

Outside of that, I don't think we've even seen a cop while searching for a cache.

Give them the respect they deserve and you'll be on your way in no time.

This has gotta be priority one!

We've been investigated over half a dozen times since we started and as long as we're truthful, we have no problems with law enforcement. One time, two officers even aided us with their bright flashlights and helped us make a find.

That was awesome, I actually got that story published.

Freddie said, "we didn't tell you to come flying in and park there", LMAO!

I still can't believe that they didn't taze me for it!

One time, they pretty much ran down a camp site trail right into the river!

That still makes chuckle when I think about it!

I had one cop stop to watch what I was doing. After a bit, he used the loudspeaker to tell me I was looking in the wrong place.

My official position on being stopped is to suggest that the LEO check with the Watch Commander, who, I say, I assume has been briefed on what geocaching is. No one wants to admit to having missed the briefing or to show the Watch Commander he or she does not know about geocaching.

My brother and I had a run in with a county mounty a few weeks back. Wanted to know why we were pulled over on the side of the road not far from the on ramp to the Ohio Turnpike. After explaining what we were up to he got into and asked where it was hidden and even showed us where to find the abandoned dirt road/trail that lead to the old family cemetery where the cache was stashed. Very nice guy, think he might just join our ranks.

So here is my log on a cache I found with a police encounter. This is one of my most memorable days that is a lot of fun to retell the story:

Log Date: 10-27-2010

A funny thing happened while geocaching today. Not being from the area I wasn't sure if I was okay to park near the green. There were no signs that said I couldn't, so I did. As I am doing the druken bee dance in the middle of the green I notice a police car within the same block. Thinking this is usually how our town parking man comes around with such unexpected stealth. I politely walk near them to be sure that it is okay to park there. (It is okay to park in the entire block). I thank them and turn back around to gz. Well they stop me and ask me if I have lost something and do I need help. "No thank you," I say, "I'm just geocaching". First they say okay, and then they ask me more about it. I give a brief description, tell them I am looking for this one and the one across the street, and I go about my business. Not having much luck with the green, I go across to the cemetary. That one was a fast find. Not wanting to give up, I try one more time for this one. Tried a 50 foot circle but no further. As I walk back to my car, the police over the car loud speaker ask "Did you find it?" I am a bit far away I point to the cemetary and shake my head yes, I point to the green and shake my head no. Then over the loud speaker they say "You just gave up." It was so funny!!!! I love a man in uniform so I did talk to them briefly one more time. One to get the best directions back to 95 and I also told them about the website and smart phone app. So if you see one of East Haven's finest, doing the same drunken bee dance with an iphone, tell them the crazy New London woman says Hello!