Can people delete my logs if I don't sign them?

I rarely sign the logs of caches, I open them up, look at the contents and close them. I only sign them if there's a pen inside, so I almost never sign micro's.

Here's an example of one of my logs.

"I was out for the whole day with my sister, we went to penns landing, and walked south street, then we drove around Jersey, even though we made 12 to 15 stops at different places but at none of them was there a cache close enough to get as my sister doesn't like geocaching and will not go out of our way, so when we got to the to the Hess station I RAN for this one, I ran from the hess station all the way across the street, not caring about traffic, I didn't even look. I open the lamp post, saw the film can and didn't bother to sign it, I ran back and when I got there my sister was pulling out of the drive way."

Time restraints is just one of the reasons why I don't bother, I also don't like writing my name, I don't see the point, the fun for me is finding it.

The main reason I'm asking this question is I'm worried that someone may delete my found it log without it being signed. I always assumed finding it was enough to say well, you found it.

So can someone delete my logs if they chose too?

I rarely sign the logs of caches, I open them up, look at the contents and close them. I only sign them if there's a pen inside, so I almost never sign micro's.

"I was out for the whole day with my sister, we went to penns landing, and walked south street, then we drove around Jersey, even though we made 12 to 15 stops at different places but at none of them was there a cache close enough to get as my sister doesn't like geocaching and will not go out of our way, so when we got to the to the Hess station I RAN for this one, I ran from the hess station all the way across the street, not caring about traffic, I didn't even look. I open the lamp post, saw the film can and didn't bother to sign it,

Yes, your online finds can be deleted and this one is a good example why. How do you know that film can was the actual cache ? Maybe it was a decoy. I know one lamp-post hide where there are TWO decoys at the posted coordinates, so you really have to keep looking. If you take the time to open it up and find the log, then you assure yourself it's really the cache after all. And while you've got it open and you're looking at the log, take one extra second to sign it. Saves a trainload of possible disappointment and embarrassment down the way.

Now, some cache owners let your online finds remain - that's up to the owners, if they're convinced you actually found the cache. But geocaching.com permits them to delete your online finds anytime there is no physical signature on the actual log.

I would delete this log regardless of if you had signed the cache or not. You gave away where the cache was hidden, which is a much more serious offense than not signing. I would delete and send you an email letting you know that it's not cool to put spoilers in found it logs.

As for not signing it - the only time I allow a non-signer to keep a found it log is if there was something wrong with the cache that prevented them from signing it - log missing, too wet, etc., but at the same time, they have to tell me enough about the hide to convince me they did actually find it.

Edited by Gimpy13

Maybe it was a decoy.

Well, the cache description said it was a 35mm film can under a lamp post, the coords took me to a lamp post with a 35mm film can, if it's a decoy then by all means he can delete it, but there is no reason to think that there is a possibility every cache has a decoy. I found almost 300 caches and never found a decoy, maybe if I had paranoia I would, but I'm not paranoid.

I would delete this log regardless of if you had signed the cache or not. You gave away where the cache was hidden, which is a much more serious offense than not signing. I would delete and send you an email letting you know that it's not cool to put spoilers in found it logs.

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot about the time that I had someone delete my find on this 5 star difficulty lamp post.

Not signing the log inside a cache is like making a peanut butter & jelly sandwich with no bread.

Geocaching:

1) Find cache listing

2) Get close to GZ - however you choose to do so

3) Search/Find cache

4) Sign Log.

Can't really be a cacher if you eliminate any of these steps.

Truthfully, you don't even have to log the finds on the site - that's just to keep track of what you've found and leave feedback. The log book is the most important part!!! :)

Wow, I thought that Groundspeak covered people when they found a cache and the cache owner deleted it.

Thanks for the responses, while I don't agree with having to sign a log to log as "found" I guess I'll have too now for the security of not having them deleted.

Wow, I thought that Groundspeak covered people when they found a cache and the cache owner deleted it.

Thanks for the responses, while I don't agree with having to sign a log to log as "found" I guess I'll have too now for the security of not having them deleted.

Make your signature simple. Your Forum name is Coldgears... Just sign the caches as CG before you log them online. Any cache owner will immediately draw the connection between your online name and the CG entry in the log. Keep a pen in your vehicle. And a flashlight... and boots, and batteries... Oh yeah, extra logs and baggies, just in case. Extra flashlight in case you break the first one... garbage bags, and emergency gas money, and... oh nevermind. :D

Groundspeak does help get the log reinstated if it was deleted for the wrong reasons. Remember though, there are reasons to delete the log, and Groundspeak will let the deletion stand.

One of the reasons to delete a log is if the person logging never actually visited the cache. You might say you did, but if you didn't sign the log, how will TPTB know you did?

You're correct. Groundspeak does cover people when they find a cache and the cache owner deletes the online log for no reason or for the wrong reason. But you may have to PROVE YOU FOUND the cache first. And how are you going to prove that if you have not signed the physical log ?

Well, in some cases you could prove you found the cache by describing the container, exactly where it was located, what was in it (if there was no log in it to sign or the log was too wet to sign, etc, what else can you testify was there), perhaps supply a photograph of you with the cache at the location ...

But that's not what you're trying to do here, is it. It doesn't seem to make any sense to invite that kind of disagreeable trouble (I found it but I didn't sign it, I can't prove it, and now I'm going to ask Groundspeak to force the CO to allow my found log).

You're right. You don't HAVE to sign the physical log to log as found. And if you want the security of not having your logs deleted ever and having to hassle to get them reinstated, then it's just the sensible thing to do. Sounds like you're on the winning side now. Happy caching !

Yes - they could.

Signing the log is one of the most fundamental aspects of Geocaching as far as I am concerned.

A sort of - I was here, I held this in my hand - declaration.

Otherwise, cachers would/could just spot the container from a distance. Call it good and move on to the next one.

When I started, 80 - 90 % of cachers took the time to write a short paragraph or 2 in the on site logbook, telling me where they were from, where they were going, what they left - etc. One cacher always took a polaroid photo of thier dog and left it in each cache, tucked between the pages of the logbook. I must have seen 40 photos of that mutt.

These days, I feel lucky to get an individual siganture in the log. Some won't even date it. Many use stickers or sign a group name like "with the NP crew". The next day, I get 7 or 8 online logs - all cut and paste "out caching with the NP crew" - multiplied times 20 caches they found.

I miss the stories, the personalties, the quirks I learned through those on site log entries.

Yes - they could.

Signing the log is one of the most fundamental aspects of Geocaching as far as I am concerned.

A sort of - I was here, I held this in my hand - declaration.

Otherwise, cachers would/could just spot the container from a distance. Call it good and move on to the next one.

When I started, 80 - 90 % of cachers took the time to write a short paragraph or 2 in the on site logbook, telling me where they were from, where they were going, what they left - etc. One cacher always took a polaroid photo of thier dog and left it in each cache, tucked between the pages of the logbook. I must have seen 40 photos of that mutt.

These days, I feel lucky to get an individual siganture in the log. Some won't even date it. Many use stickers or sign a group name like "with the NP crew". The next day, I get 7 or 8 online logs - all cut and paste "out caching with the NP crew" - multiplied times 20 caches they found.

I miss the stories, the personalities, the quirks I learned through those on site log entries.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is nothing better than finding an old( 8,9,10 years) cache and sitting down to read the entries in the log book after a long hike.Its a very rare experience. Something that many, sadly, will never see or even understand how cool it is.

I found almost 300 caches and never found a decoy, maybe if I had paranoia I would, but I'm not paranoid.

Apparently you have not, if you have never signed. Now you have called attention to it, so expect more deletions.

Then again, you knew what all these responses would be when you started this this thread.

Can someone delete my logs if they choose to?

Lets put it into proper context.

Just because they choose to? NO

Because your signature is not in the cache log? YES

The real question is... will they?

There is no coverall answer to that question. Some cache owners never check their cache logs, and rarely check their online logs. Others are meticulous about auditing both.

Some cache owners will accept any excuse proffered by the finder for the lacking signature. Some will accept no excuses.

My advice is... before anyone contacts Groundspeak to complain about a deleted find, contact the cache owner. You are going to have to go through the exact same process with either one. If you contact the Owner, describe the cache, the contents, the location, ect... these are the same things you are going to have to convince Groundspeak of.

My foremost advice is... sign the cache log. Problem avoided. Everything else is "problem repaired".

Most of these issues can be resolved by simple communication with the cache owner.

Calling a cache Owner "anal" (as I have read here in the past) because they delete your online log if you don't sign the cache log is not really justifiable. Groundspeak gave them that right.

For me,it all comes down to honesty and having to live with myself. I will claim a find and log it online if I couldn`t sign the physical log due to not having a pen. I know that I found it and that is enough for me. I would get no satisfaction out of claiming a find where I didn`t really find the cache. I own 6 caches and if someone logs a find online,I will accept that they are being honest about it.

Time restraints is just one of the reasons why I don't bother, I also don't like writing my name, I don't see the point, the fun for me is finding it.

I certainly empathize with you about caching with an unenthuisiastic sibling. I was on vacation on the Oregon coast, and went to an area of sand dunes, with interesting tidepools and a string of caches. My brother, who requested to come along for the ride (after I had specifically mentioned what I planned to do, no less), impatiently tapped his feet while standing at the car, in a place that has lots of things to keep oneself occupied even if someone's caching. I had to cut a series short because of it. It made for a hurried, uncomfortably weird day. Good thing I had the car keys.

As long as you have a Micro container open, why not at least draw a little "CG" initials as suggested? Borrow a pen in advance. It's fun for you to just play with the stuff in the container, but consider that it's not fun for a cache owner who's placed and maintained that fun cache, to find a blank log.

Edited by kunarion

If it wasn't worth your/my time to sign the physical log, I can't see how it would be worth your/my time to log it online.

I was wondering that too. But maybe CG, and those that don't sign the physical log, want to record an online find so that it comes off when they filter for unfound caches.

Nice shiny new spoon. <_<

If you didn't sign the log, you cannot prove you actually found the cache. If all you are looking for are 1/1 LPC, you aren't likely to encounter any decoys, but they might be there at more difficult hides. And the cache page may not mention them.

This issue is strictly between you and the cache owner. They would be within their rights and responsibilities as CO's to delete your logs, and it isn't likely that Groundspeak would reinstate them for you.

I will confess to picking up three caches today and not signing the logs, but will claim finds on them. However-this was at the end of a 10 mile bike ride, we were totally soaking wet, and the CO was along for the ride and consented to the tag logging so that he won't have to replace a soggy log tomorrow.

In the past 8 years, I can think of a very small handful of other occasions where I have handled the container, but claimed a find without signing a log. In every case it was because the container was rusted shut, or burnt to scrap, and we found the metal remnants at GZ. In every case I confirmed with the CO that my actions were acceptable. Except for the burnt ammo can as that CO had left the game and didn't reply.

But if you don't really care what the CO's do with your logs, or think of your actions, carry on the way you are playing.

"I was out for the whole day with my sister, we went to penns landing, and walked south street, then we drove around Jersey, even though we made 12 to 15 stops at different places but at none of them was there a cache close enough to get as my sister doesn't like geocaching and will not go out of our way, so when we got to the to the Hess station I RAN for this one, I ran from the hess station all the way across the street, not caring about traffic, I didn't even look. I open the lamp post, saw the film can and didn't bother to sign it, I ran back and when I got there my sister was pulling out of the drive way."

Your "Example Log" seems to imply that you state in your logs that you didn't sign your log. Looking at the first page of your logs, this and the log before it are the only mention of such actions (aside from Virts, which have no logbook), so this is a poor example to use. In one log, you explicitly mention signing the logbook! It does means one of two things, though: 1. You are being dishonest with the CO's in hopes that they don't check the written logs. 2. You are being dishonest with us and you don't, in fact, make a habit of not signing logs.
February 27 by Coldgears: I put in a travel bug, I couldn't get the bear to fit in because I added the travel bug so I took it with me. I'll "donate" it to another cache, I feel bad taking something without leaving something so that'll be fine I hope. I couldn't sign my name because I thought there would be a pen inside as it's a regular sized cache. The only pen inside was rusted and didn't work. Oh well...

Thanks for the oldest cache within ten miles of here.

February 19 by Coldgears: Fun cache, not the first time a cache brought me to a paintball field. Doesn't seem to be too abandoned, plenty of wet paint.

February 20 by Coldgears: I looked for 40 minutes to find this cache. It would have been a quick Park and Grab, but the fact my GPS wanted me to jump in the river made it harder. Thanks!

Comment from TTJ:Oh, by the way: 40 mins to look for the cache, but can't be bothered to sign it? Right. . .

February 20 by Coldgears: Haha, nice use of an unused object for the hide. Creative!

February 20 by Coldgears: A homeless muggle was waving the dirt out of his blanket nearby as I found this. Nice camo, quick find. Thanks!

February 20 by Coldgears: I asked the man at the register for the geocache, he handed it too me and I signed it. I found it really odd how I had to ask someone at the counter for it, but I actually like this idea. Thanks for the cache, and thanks for giving me a reason to tour the Battleship!

January 31 by Coldgears: Log is filled, thanks for the easy cache.

January 31 by Coldgears: Quick easy find, caches that are above ground are the best, otherwise finding them in the winter can be near impossible.

January 24 by Coldgears: Quick easy find. The first time I DNFed because I searched at night. This time I did it during the day and found it within seconds. Great container!

January 16 by Coldgears: Thanks!

January 16 by Coldgears: Found it within seconds, TFTC!

January 16 by Coldgears: Super easy cache.

January 13 by Coldgears: Wow, this cache was INSANE in this weather. I should've worn my boots, my feet were frozen. I found the cache quickly, surprisingly no snow cover... At all.

January 13 by Coldgears: It was an easy find. I had to dig about a foot downwards from all the snow. I finally managed to pull it out. Due to the snow covering the small little outcove it was in I put it on top of the snow. It's not hidden as well as it should, but there was nothing I could do.

January 12 by Coldgears: I found it quickly. Second to find. I have a great story to tell about how I fell straight down the hill on my second step out of the car. I'll red-edit when I get the pictures.

January 10 by Coldgears: I like an easy one once in a while TFTC.

Edited by Too Tall John

I find it interesting you dont have time to scribble your initials. But as of right now have 430 more forum postings than finds :drama:

edit check that 431

I wouldn't know, I can't see them. :ph34r:

For some reason though, I can see threads. I think I too might have a few more posts than finds, but when I found out recently the mean number of finds for an active Geocaching.com account is 34, I know I'm good.

Can people delete his logs if he doesn't sign them? We can only hope they do. ;)

I find it hard to believe that you've been around these forums for a year and this is a revelation to you.

I find it hard to believe that you've been around these forums for a year and this is a revelation to you.

I find it hard to believe that you find that hard to believe. :(

I find it hard to believe that you find that hard to believe. :(

I could have been the first person to respond by saying as much, which would have gotten me in trouble for jumping his case. Apparently things need to play out for a bit.

If someone (not just you) logged a find and did not sign it because they were just too lazy or in a hurry, I'd delete that log in a heartbeat.

If they listed a good reason for not signing and gave me good reason to believe they were really there I would probably cut them a break.

If they were in the habit of not signing anything ever, I cannot imagine any story they could tell that would convince me not to delete.

There is a huge difference between not signing the log because of unusual circumstances, and not signing it because you cannot be bothered to, or you dont think it is necessary.

If you just don't feel like signing it and openly announce it, the cache owner may think you are just trying to stir up trouble. :rolleyes:

The main reason I'm asking this question is I'm worried that someone may delete my found it log without it being signed. I always assumed finding it was enough to say well, you found it.

So can someone delete my logs if they chose too?

Seriously?

Nice troll baiting, Coldgears.