is geocaching right really so hard?

I need to vent a little. Before I even start I have to apologize for any poor grammar and/or punctuation

I am very new to caching, just over a month, and I keep seeing things that make no sense to me. For example…

Pens/pencils in a zip lock bag with the log, I have yet to find a cache that the pen/pencil hasn’t poked holes in the bag.

Food containers as caches, 99% of the time FULL of holes, cracks, and water with a soaked log in a zip lock bag full of pen holes.

People dumping trackable after trackable into caches that trackables go missing from.

Zip lock bags not getting resealed after signing the log, this one gripes me to no end.

Caches left out in the open after found. Not only does it spoil the hunt for the next person but IMO it promotes muggles. It is like “I got to find it, who cares about anyone else”.

I really enjoy caching but driving a 100 mile loop to find 20 food containers full of water and soggy paper is kind of bumming me out.

I agree with most of what you said, but...

Food containers as caches, 99% of the time FULL of holes, cracks, and water with a soaked log in a zip lock bag full of pen holes.

My favorite containers are usually ammo cans, they just seal tight and are always dry, but a lot of parks, etc. have an issue with this one.

I have seen a lot of cheapo throw-away containers that are only designed to be used a couple times then thrown away, these are bad, lock-and-locks are probably one of the better choices.

For areas that have rules on container type, they typically require a clear container so the contents can be seen before opening.

I agree with most of what you said, but...

My favorite containers are usually ammo cans, they just seal tight and are always dry, but a lot of parks, etc. have an issue with this one.

I have seen a lot of cheapo throw-away containers that are only designed to be used a couple times then thrown away, these are bad, lock-and-locks are probably one of the better choices.

For areas that have rules on container type, they typically require a clear container so the contents can be seen before opening.

no i am talking about coolwhip, stackers, coffee, stuff like that. lock-and-locks are cool by me i am talking about the "i just put the last of this coolwhip on my pie, time to put a log in it and toss it in a bush" type caches

I need to vent a little. Before I even start I have to apologize for any poor grammar and/or punctuation

I am very new to caching, just over a month, and I keep seeing things that make no sense to me. For example…

Pens/pencils in a zip lock bag with the log, I have yet to find a cache that the pen/pencil hasn’t poked holes in the bag.

People dumping trackable after trackable into caches that trackables go missing from.

Zip lock bags not getting resealed after signing the log, this one gripes me to no end.

Caches left out in the open after found. Not only does it spoil the hunt for the next person but IMO it promotes muggles. It is like “I got to find it, who cares about anyone else”.

I really enjoy caching but driving a 100 mile loop to find 20 food containers full of water and soggy paper is kind of bumming me out.

I put a pencil in every one of my hides but when i checked on them, the pencil is always gone.

I put a pencil in every one of my hides but when i checked on them, the pencil is always gone.

Maybe it fell out the hole it poked in the bag.

It's hard for some people. I hit two caches last night. On one the ammo box lid wasn't fully closed and on the other the log book was missing.

I just had to move a cache because cachers kept leaving it sitting on the trail. I guess they felt it was hidden too well.

I've noticed this as well. Outside the smallest micros, I always leave a pencil or pen (usually both) in my caches and I always leave them outside the Ziploc containing the logbook. I don't think I've ever returned to a cache and NOT found the pencil or pen inside the Ziploc. Since the Ziploc is only there as an added measure and the container should be sufficient to protect the logbook, it's not really an issue. . Would I rather finders not do it? Sure, but I see it as too insignificant to be

annoyed about.

I know you are referring to yogurt, coffee, ice cream, deli/Chinese, etc. containers. Thankfully I haven't seen a lot of these because hiders around this area for the most part use quality containers. I agree that they are terrible choices for containers. Unfortunately they are usually left by casual cache hiders who have no interest in maintaining the cache and these caches need frequent maintenance.

I doubt most people are aware of the history of a cache regarding trackables. I'll generally avoid placing trackables in caches in high traffic areas that are likely to go missing, or caches that are too remote for regular visits, but I usually have no idea whether someone has been stealing trackables from a certain cache.

After a certain point they can't be resealed, but if they are resealable, then I agree they should be resealed properly. However I see this about as significant as point 1. The Ziploc is only there just in case so it's not that big a deal.

This bothers me too. There was a power cacher in my area who had a rep for doing this. It apparently takes too long to re-hide it properly when the only thing on your mind is how soon you can get to the next cache. BUT, it's not always geocachers. Wind, rain and animals have been known to dislodge caches. I bet these factors account for a good deal of caches found in the open.

I don't think many cachers like finding a cache filled with slimy water, rusted swag and soggy paper. But as far as I'm concerned, if the cache brought me some place interesting it mitigates the condition of the cache. I'll still enjoy the overall experience.

Unfortunately, not every cache hider is going to take care of his caches and even the most meticulous cache hider is going to wind up with some caches that get wet. Just log a "needs maintenance" and move on and don't let it get to you.

You can reduce the probability of running into this by putting hides from cachers who have a rep of not maintaining their caches on your ignore list, eliminating caches that have the Needs Maintenance attribute set from your PQs and by reading the logs before hand. Or you can concentrate on hunting the kinds of caches that are in areas that are so interesting or beautiful or peaceful that you really don't care all that much about the soggy logbook.

Edited by briansnat

Venting is good, to a degree :rolleyes:

I believe what you are noticing, is that some people don't think about what it is that they are doing, or perhaps a case of monkey-see-monkey-do.

Pointy objects in plastic baggie -- does it really make any sense?

"zip-locks" not resealed -- many times not because somebody had folded the bag across the sealing seam. They usually will not reseal after this happens. Common in small caches with too large baggies.

Food containers as caches -- bad idea most all of the time. Reasons for using such are nearly endless, all fall within the non-thinking category.

Trackable "black-hole" caches -- again, not thinking (or caring). To be lenient upon many cachers though, there is a learning curve as to what caches one should/should not place a trackable. We all gotta learn somehow, right?

Caches left in the open -- many times because of a group or family caching. One person "finds" the cache, somebody else "replaces" the cache (not usually aware of exactly where it was found). Sometimes however, it is also because the finder simply is lazy about replacement. Sad, but true.

All-in-all, it comes down to "The best thing about caching is that anyone can do it. The worst thing about caching is that anyone can do it"!

I agree with most all you've said......there is a carelessness that abounds probably because there are so many people caching now ( the 20 % that was always careless is now a LOT more people.)

Zip locks need to be heavy duty freezer bags.

I've never liked pencils or pens in caches and don't put them. Good grief...bring a pen, you wouldn't go fishing without your rod and reel.

I have a cache thats MUGGLE PROOF and you wouldn't believe the amount of TB's and coins that go missing......GEOCACHERS have misplaced, stolen, lost, etc. them.

Containers.......in south Louisiana you need a really tight container and the vast majority are.....I've found some out west that wouldn't last 2 weeks here and the log is quite old and in perfect shape..........nationwide I think we've found maybe 5 to 15 % where the contents were compromised......your loop of 100 miles and 20 caches all bad is extreme, hang in there, you'll see.

Pens/pencils in a zip lock bag with the log, I have yet to find a cache that the pen/pencil hasn't poked holes in the bag.

Caches left out in the open after found. Not only does it spoil the hunt for the next person but IMO it promotes muggles. It is like "I got to find it, who cares about anyone else".

I hear ya!

My boy doesn't care for the casual 'roadside' caches anymore. He calls them 'trash caches' because people seem to be in too much of a hurry and just dump pocket trash in them for swag, like pencil erasers, etc.

Edited by Rckhnd

Not all food containers are created equal. One of our area's more prolific hiding teams primarily use peanut butter jars -- likely over a hundred so far. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember any of them leaking. I'd be shocked if more than 5% had problems.

I'm just surprised that wild critters aren't attracted to these caches. They must do an excellent job of cleaning them.

Pens/pencils in a zip lock bag with the log, I have yet to find a cache that the pen/pencil hasn't poked holes in the bag.

Ziplock bags aren't really there to keep the log dry. In practice they might sometimes do that, but relying on it is quite futile. If you do, the log will get soaked at some point. Ziplock bags are merely there to keep stuff together.

Ziplock bags aren't really there to keep the log dry. In practice they might sometimes do that, but relying on it is quite futile. If you do, the log will get soaked at some point. Ziplock bags are merely there to keep stuff together.

Agreed. I have always included a ziploc for the logbook not so much as a protective layer but more as a seperator. My containers are always quality to begin with.

and....

yes the pencel/pen always ends up in the bag but I don't see a lot of holes in them.

Around here, we have often included a display of quality containers at Geocache meetings. It reinforces the idea of what works and what does not.

First of all I want to commend you on the number of caches you have found before posting this vent. Second I would like to challenge you to take all the negatives you have seen and use them (as much as possible) to create and hide better caches in your area. Third, i realize that vents/rants lend themselves to 'always-never' statements, but I want to say that not all food containers are bad. It also depends on the placement. My oldest cache, 7+ years, is in a coffee jar, replaced once in that time, because it fits the hide. Would I place a coffee jar in my woodland floor caches? No because it doesn't fit the hide.

You can't change other people. As you cache more you will be able to tell more easily which ones aren't worth trying for (or at least ones you shouldn't get your hopes up for). If you make your contribution to the sport better then the sport will get better.

Happy Caching!

When I go caching it's about exploring new places more than about the container I find.

I agree with your points, and I'm glad as a new cacher you're recognizing these problems, so you won't do them in your hides. And it's good for a reminder for other new people reading the forums.

But I do believe it's the search where I'll find what I'm looking for, more than the find.

I agree with those who said that ziplocks are for organizing the stuff in the cache. I mostly use them to keep the dirt off of things. I have planted lock n locks and ammo cans without a baggie covering the logbook. I've planted lock n locks with baggied logbooks only to come back in the Spring to find the lock n lock filled with water - why? Because part of the baggie got stuck in the seal and let water in. The baggie which was supposed to protect the logbook from potential water damage was filled with water and this was a baggie in good shape i.e. no holes and a double zipper.

Like briansnat said, COs that usually use these containers are often casual cache hiders who are trying out this hobby and often with no interest in maintaining their caches. Often these casual cachers are kids. They can't go out to buy a lock n lock or ammo can so they use whatever Mom will give them - margarine, yogurt and gladware containers seem to be the favorite choice around my area, don't know why they don't choose screw top food containers like peanut butter jars. Maybe Moms tend to throw away the screw-top empty food jars.

My only complaint so far is discovering that the cache is a micro after a fairly good hike. I admit that we are still learning and it's not really the micro that is the problem. But after hiking a good distance you don't want to spend an hour looking for the cache. To be fair, we should have paid closer attention to the cache listing.

This bothers me too. There was a power cacher in my area who had a rep for doing this. It apparently takes too long to re-hide it properly when the only thing on your mind is how soon you can get to the next cache. BUT, it's not always geocachers. Wind, rain and animals have been known to dislodge caches. I bet these factors account for a good deal of caches found in the open.

This does bother me as well. I've got one I think is a pretty tough hide. But if people don't rehide it properly, it's a 1.5. :angry:

And then there are the bear! The cache is hidden behind a rock to keep the bear from using it as a chew toy. Please rehide it properly.

Yeah. I've notice a few locals who do not seem to want to take the minute or so to rehide the cache properly. Sad.

Re logs, when I hide small or regular size containers I put my log in a zip lock which I then put in a film can and mark " Log , Do Not Take "......the can is then placed in the container ( even if its an ammo can ). Unless someone is signing in a downpour :( your set for a really long time.

Some if it is just a learning experience; some cachers do not understand good vs bad containers before they place their first hide (perhaps given the prevelance of film cans some don't care). Be vigilant with NM and NA logs (if the casual cacher has gone inactive and/or ignored NM requests)!

Ziplock baggies often quickly wear out so they don't seal properly anymore, but some cachers do need to be more careful about resealing them.

Some containers aren't properly closed by cachers (especially Decons - 4 pops!) but some containers simply don't seal very well especially when left out amongst the elements and wildlife. Not to mention muggles who find the container then don't close it.