Any flexibility in the Saturation (Distance between Caches) Guidelines?

Hi All,

First time poster here...

I've hidden a few caches but now have a query..

I was just wondering if the mods ever allow any flexibility in the Saturation (Distance between Caches) Guideline?

It's just that I've found a fantastic place to hide a cache on an really cool landmark that is really unusual, is a interesting but weird place to visit, and has a local legend/ghost story associated with it.

Unfortunately this ideal location for a cache is only 430ft (as the crow flies) away from a fairly unremarkable cache (micro film canister placed at the bottom of a style... but not near anything interesting) so breaks the guideline by about 100ft :( However, if cachers wanted to log both caches they would need to walk considerably further than the 430ft as there is no direct route at all between them.

I just think it'd be a real shame not to be able to place a cache in this otherwise unknown (except to the local village) weird and interesting landmark. There is also the potential to make this one really challenging!

Any thoughts?

If this isn't the correct board then please let me know which one to post on. Cheers.

Regards

Lord_Blackadder

There's a good degree of flex; two caches 80ft apart but with a 70ft wide river between them could well be passed. Set the cache up and put it up for review, but make sure reviewers know you know it's close to another and explain why it's a long walk between them. You'd probably get lucky, in my experience.

Hi All,

First time poster here...

I've hidden a few caches but now have a query..

I was just wondering if the mods ever allow any flexibility in the Saturation (Distance between Caches) Guideline?

It's just that I've found a fantastic place to hide a cache on an really cool landmark that is really unusual, is a interesting but weird place to visit, and has a local legend/ghost story associated with it.

Unfortunately this ideal location for a cache is only 430ft (as the crow flies) away from a fairly unremarkable cache (micro film canister placed at the bottom of a style... but not near anything interesting) so breaks the guideline by about 100ft :( However, if cachers wanted to log both caches they would need to walk considerably further than the 430ft as there is no direct route at all between them.

I just think it'd be a real shame not to be able to place a cache in this otherwise unknown (except to the local village) weird and interesting landmark. There is also the potential to make this one really challenging!

Any thoughts?

If this isn't the correct board then please let me know which one to post on. Cheers.

Regards

Lord_Blackadder

You may find this post instructive:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=267043&view=findpost&p=4587614

Keep in mind that you have other options such as making the interesting location a "question to answer" stage in a multi-cache.

Good luck!

Yes we can be flexible but each cache location is unique so I can't say if an exception would be allowed in this case. Anyway, we are unlikely to come down below 500 feet unless there is some sort of physical barrier between the caches/stages. The whole purpose of the guideline is to stop having too many caches in a particular area - saturation. Your best bet is to to create a multi-cache and have a Question to Answer stage at the location to get people there with the cache itself located somewhere else.

By the way, you can run a check on the location yourself using the mapping resources (MAGIC; Natural England etc) that we use ourselves when reviewing caches. Click here for more information.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

Greetings your Lordship, :laughing:

Maybe consider using the landmark as the virtual stage for a short multi, using a date or other obvious feature on it to obtain the actual coordinates of a decent size cache somewhere nearby? This will then show the world the landmark and get you around the proximaty issue.

This is a well discussed topic and we have hundreds of examples of where excellent cache locations cannot be used because of a poorly placed micro. It is now very diffcult to set those imaginative and superb caches that launched geocaching that not only deprives new baggers but prevents us setting examples of what can be acheived to other setters. Regretably reviewers cannot influence the quality of the sport but only enforce the rules.

Hey Slack-Bladder.

Don't presume your cache location is more worthy than the one 430 feet away.

The world is a big place.

But to answer your question. I'd ask your local reviewer to review your proposal before you go ahead. Only he/she can decide your fate after all. :)

PS...I will apologise on behalf of Moote to save him the trouble. :ph34r:

I too have a question about the guidelines about distance between caches with one I'm working on, particularly as it seems I MIGHT be able to solve the problem by making it a puzzle cache.

I've read and reread the guidelines and yet I don't really understand (particularly the top left diagram).

If anybody understands it well and can face it, can we email each other so I can explain? I don't want to bore people on the forum with it (or give away too much to anyone who might try it).

I too have a question about the guidelines about distance between caches with one I'm working on, particularly as it seems I MIGHT be able to solve the problem by making it a puzzle cache.

I've read and reread the guidelines and yet I don't really understand (particularly the top left diagram).

If anybody understands it well and can face it, can we email each other so I can explain? I don't want to bore people on the forum with it (or give away too much to anyone who might try it).

Email sent :)

Have a look at who publishes your local caches, and send them a message through their profile.

A multi-cache sounds like a good plan. Get visitors to your cool location first, and then pick another cool location about half a mile away for the real cache. Although I like finding traditional caches, if I'm out for a full days caching, especially in a city centre, then I like the challenge of a simple multi-cache. I'm about to set one up myself!