Need to move a cache

Mallah

I need to move one of my caches as someone has decided to use the approach as a dog toilet. There is another spot in the same area that will be dog free and retain the relavence of the cache. However it is approx 200m away from its original spot. Is this an acceptable move, or will I need to create a new listing and archive the original?

I need to move one of my caches as someone has decided to use the approach as a dog toilet. There is another spot in the same area that will be dog free and retain the relavence of the cache. However it is approx 200m away from its original spot. Is this an acceptable move, or will I need to create a new listing and archive the original?

If I were in this situation I'd archive it and list a new cache, 200 metres is Way too big a move to call it the same cache, also as far as i know, such a large move would have to be done by a reviewer and subjected to all the proximity tests etc that a new cache would be anyway, so might as well start afresh.

Does the 'caching experience' change?

Same box, hidden the same way -under rocks, not moved to in a tree- in the same area, keep the same listing.

If the method of hiding changes, the container changes -new camouflage etc., have to approach the cache a new way, make a new listing.

Distance shouldn't really be part of it...

eg.If your cache is placed near a long (couple of hundred yards) six feet high wall and you move it two feet to the other side of the wall the caching experience could be said to have changed, as you have to approach from another direction and the views are different!

You could ask your local reviewer to update the coords for you. :)

You could update the coords with 2 jumps. But you may get rumbled. I did. ;)

You could archive it and let all the locals add one more to their tally.

Either way you're acting in a responsible manner to avoid doggy-doo-doos. :)

Thanks everyone.

I contacted the reviewer but hopefully he is out enjoying himself this weekend. Although the new location retains all the characteristics of the current location (except the dog poo?) I think I shall archive the current one and create a new listing (and give those who have already found it another hit :))

Thanks again

Thanks everyone.

I contacted the reviewer but hopefully he is out enjoying himself this weekend. Although the new location retains all the characteristics of the current location (except the dog poo?) I think I shall archive the current one and create a new listing (and give those who have already found it another hit :))

Thanks again

As you have decided to archive it and create a new listing you do not need a reviewer. From the cache page you can chose the archive option and follow that through, then create your brand new listing page.

Edit to add:

PS Well done on dealing with the issue. :D

Edited by Gushoneybun

How NOT to move a cache:

We saw THIS CACHE on Friday as we drove nearby and were surprised to see we'd DNFed it in December as it didn't sound at all familiar.

It had changed from a small cache under some bark (hence its original name 'Woof') along a footpath, to a micro behind a road sign.

New container, new size, new location, new name, old GC code!

This one should definitely have been archived and re-listed :mad:

Mark