Killing Fairies

Ecylram

The esteemed Clan Riffster got me thinking with his tag line: Tink says: "Every time you hide a film can, a fairy dies."

In my area, film canisters are the standard container. They are hidden in trees, lamppost skirts, the base of signs, & the occasional guard rail. To quote the great philosopher, B.B. King..."The Thrill Is Gone". Out of the hundreds of film canister I've found, I can't think of one that was worth a Favorite vote.

But the mundane can be made into art: Andy Warhol with his soup cans, Salvador Dali with his drooping clocks, etc. So, surely, SOMEBODY has to have madean interesting cache out of film canisters. Right? unsure.gif

Have you come across any interesting FC hides that you can share? Or, will this be the shortest topic ever on this board?

The esteemed Clan Riffster got me thinking with his tag line: Tink says: "Every time you hide a film can, a fairy dies."

In my area, film canisters are the standard container. They are hidden in trees, lamppost skirts, the base of signs, & the occasional guard rail. To quote the great philosopher, B.B. King..."The Thrill Is Gone". Out of the hundreds of film canister I've found, I can't think of one that was worth a Favorite vote.

But the mundane can be made into art: Andy Warhol with his soup cans, Salvador Dali with his drooping clocks, etc. So, surely, SOMEBODY has to have madean interesting cache out of film canisters. Right? unsure.gif

Have you come across any interesting FC hides that you can share? Or, will this be the shortest topic ever on this board?

Film can follies

Going home late last night, suddenly I got a fright. I looked through a window and surprised what I saw.

A fairy with boots and dancing with a dwarf! Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me. I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies. Fairies wear boots, and you gotta believe me. I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes. :ph34r:

Going home late last night, suddenly I got a fright. I looked through a window and surprised what I saw.

A fairy with boots and dancing with a dwarf! Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me. I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies. Fairies wear boots, and you gotta believe me. I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes. :ph34r:

I knew Ozzy was a geocacher.....

Old metal 35mm film can - body is aluminum, lid is ferrous. Cache owner put a rare earth mag inside the lid, and stuck it UP on some overhead metal structure on a beach.

Cache description said, "film can cache, nice views" (or something to that effect).

A cute, if not overwhelming find - something unexpected.

(that film cans are free and thus lend themselves to the ever-tedious hide of hundreds of cans, only one log, is not a plus in my opinion. I've seen this many times, it never fails to strike me the same way, ie, what's fun about opening and closing film cans? If that hide has been out any length of time, there are multiple logs, a lot fewer cans then it started with, and a lot of cans sans lid....)

I saw one on here, I think was out near Seattle? Maybe? It was a big barrel, filled with roughly a bajillion film cans. Wholesale slaughter of Fae aside, that looked like a fun cache. You get all the mindless repetition of the mega power trails, without having to spend the gas driving to each film can.

Off topic: Contests on finding "The Federation Must Pay"! One of my favorites.

In the local area for about 100 miles to the northwest there aren't more than 10 filmcans and 4 nanos - thank god. Most micros are nice sealed containers.

However to the south and southwest - about 30% of hides are nanos and filmcans.

Odd - they become a sort of monkey see/monkey do kind of hide.

Rather then give an off the cuff reply of " they are all crap" I thought I would think about it for awhile and came up with this cache GCR86D Since it is now archived I can reveal that the hide involved a hollow log full or 150 or so 35mm film cans but the real cache was a larger 90mm commercial type film can well concealed a few feet away.

Now that I looked back on that cache I see that dropping by there this spring is warranted, to see if the area was ever cleaned up.

Besides that one, the rest were all crap :lol:

I saw one on here, I think was out near Seattle? Maybe? It was a big barrel, filled with roughly a bajillion film cans. Wholesale slaughter of Fae aside, that looked like a fun cache. You get all the mindless repetition of the mega power trails, without having to spend the gas driving to each film can.

Perhaps you are thinking of Holy Macro! It is down the road from the Original Stash Plaque. Yes, a huge barrel filled to the brim with I don't remember how many film cans. Each one has a slip of paper in it and you must open each one to find the true log. I don't know how many faries died here, but I wanted to kill someone by the time my friends and I emptied the whole barrel and finally found the log. The co drove by while we were looking...and laughed at us. Pretty funny.

Yah, that one killed a whole lot of fairies!!!! 3,500 to be exact.

It's near the orignal stash plaque in Oregon.

We had five people at it a couple of hours. 3500 film cans in a 55 gallon drum, and only one has the log in it. Not one I'd do again!!!!

I left a note to the CO that the log needs replacing. :ph34r: