Permanent Bickering Place

Kanto

For those who are caught somehow in bickering or some type of argument (whether the tone is happy or surly or sarcastically whatever...)

AND for those who care not to witness such things interrupting their more relevant threads and topics, please let this poll be the humble beginnings of a resolution...or not. icon_smile.gif

QUESTION:

Would you like the geocaching.com site to provide a permanent bickering place for those to take their arguments elsewhere? If so, what place?

NOTE: If you have an idea to make the poll options more complete, then by all means.

Thanks!

Kanto

(The poll only has five options)

Another Possibility:

A permanent FORUM just for bickering.

Hopefully this won't escalate to the point that we are arguing about arguing... icon_rolleyes.gif That would be a prime example of a good intention gone as bad as can be eh? icon_wink.gif

_________

Kanto

A member since Sunday July 13 with zero finds and hides..... we have topics about these types.

If you don't like the bickering, close your eyes, you aren't forced to read it. This of course presumes there IS bickering. Does your 4 days on the site really mean you know all about these forums?

Perhaps then, an automatic admin type program that will delete or close off a thread which has a certain rate of being posted or the same users being posted over a really short time?

How would we practically control this type of thing? People would have to be kicked off temporarily or permanently...yes, that has been done before in other forums. If they come back as something else, then eventually either the admin can control the number of accounts or they will be tired of making new identities over and over, just to come and argue.

Their behaviour is attitude-based, and that is more difficult to influence, than the number of times they sign on or use bad words and such things (which is a controllable thing with computers).

Perhaps you're right, making a prison for the bikering may encourage it more, but at least it will not be spread everywhere in all the forums, interrupting everybody.

Maybe that is a temporary solution to when they do have more control over it...just how many users care about it?? Hence the poll.

Hoping this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

A member since Sunday July 13 with zero finds and hides..... we have topics about these types.

If you don't like the bickering, close your eyes, you aren't forced to read it. This of course presumes there IS bickering. Does your 4 days on the site really mean you know all about these forums?

1-This will not last long.

2-As my profile says, I have a transportation problem...and I'm working on it.

3-As my profile says, I have already planned the routes I will take.

4-If in my POLL has an option: This idea is no good, then how much more proof do you need that I am objective as possible in this?

5-As my profile says : my hobby is Problem Solving...and that activity requires experience and ideas...and forums used by humans, no matter the context, are all extremely similar. In that I have experience, but my NUMBERS for geocaching have nothing to do with forum-etiquette. If they do, then please explain it to me.

6-There is bickering.

Kanto

It seems that a few CAN topics get hot and heavy in the general forums, and it's usually the usual suspects... a few threads have been closed, but we're supposed to be grown-ups here. ('Even if I don't want to be one')

Lately, 2-3 useless threads have seemed to become bait to attract all the verbiage that would have been disposed of elsewhere. There is zero point in creating a place that sanctions bickering. It only encourages it.

People are pretty ingenious at times with their flames, It's almost become a contest.

But I digress. What we really don't like is sock puppets.

What I get from your meaning, is that the best thing is not to respond, not even once to anyone starting something.

There are times, though, that 100% tolerance does not do it. There are times, when the stand must be made, even if in forums (of all contexts icon_rolleyes.gif).

Debating must be like gambling...a matter of knowing when to quit...and only become bickering or an obsession when one cannot quit...

quote:
Kanto wrote:

What I get from your meaning, is that the best thing is not to respond, not even once to anyone starting something.

What you don't get is that we don't like cowardly sock puppets.

0 finds, 0 hides, and 81 posts in 4 days. It smells like stinky feet in here. We need a big box of odor eaters.

quote:
Originally posted by Kanto:

Would you like the geocaching.com site to provide a permanent bickering place for those to take their arguments elsewhere? If so, what place?

They don't need to - it already exists. It's called e-mail. Most people are too proud to let someone have the "last word" publicly, so things stay out in the open.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Here's a proposed solution.

Walk away from the computer and stay away for the rest of the day, let your last post stand, and quit trying to have the last bloody word. Geez, you sound like my ex-wife... icon_biggrin.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I vote for a seperate forum. Let them bicker all they want! Delete any posts that contain profanity and direct attacks on a person.

Just my .02.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

I voted no.

If I were in control of these forums I would simply withdraw the posting privileges of those who (after fair warning) continue act in a rude insulting manner, or who continually make personal attacks and cheap shots on matters not related to the topic being discussed. I don’t mean just taking (and maintaining) a controversial position resulting in protracted heated discussions (for which I believe I may have a reputation for) but the childish, boorish antics that some feel compelled to use when they are unable to develop meaningful arguments to support their positions. And in case anyone decides to do a “find” search on my posts in order to quote some of the cheap shots that I have occasionally made on the forums, I apologize in advance. I do admit, that on some occasions I have lost control (usually defensively) and tell a person publicly what I think of them personally (instead of their ideas or opinions) , where it would have been more appropriate to make such comments privately.

Getting back closer to the original topic, what is meaningful debate and argument to one, may be considered bickering by someone else less interested in the topic. So long as the discussion (even if a heated one) remains civil, without personal attacks, I say let it go on until the thread eventually dies.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Why do people (myself included) bicker? After a few controversial discussions it quickly becomes apparent that changing someone's mind is a very, very rare event. It's almost as if we feel responsible for a quick rebuttal lest someone unsure about the topic at hand might be swayed by the opposition. Most people are resistant to change, and new suggestions are often critisised. New threads on old topics are as well. Perhaps all new threads should be entitled "Wanted, new opinions on an old topic" to avoid all the fuss about searching before posting. So you find an old thread, drag it up and post your question, idea, whatever. There's a good chance someone will critisize you for digging up an old thread.

What it boils down to is this, it's only a matter of time before any given person annoys someone else. Perhaps for good reason, perhaps because the other person is having a bad day. Maybe their boss asked them to work Saturday, or their girlfriend spends too much time with her male friends, who knows?

I don't think we need a special place to bicker.

It would be hard to make the people involved stop posting in one place and continue elsewhere. Stopping them is easy, moderators do it all the time. The only reason for having a bickering place is to be able to continue bickering without fear of the thread being closed. Well, were it not for moderation, they would continue. Human nature is such that some would escalate beyond the confines of the forum, and spill over into the real world, resulting in cache vandalization, or worse.

So far, the moderators have done a good job of closing threads when they cease to be on topic discussions, and become juvenile name calling contests. I say leave it like it is.

96920_1100.jpg

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

[image removed by Elias]

I think this is the exact sort of response Kanto was talking about. The thread that probably spurred him to start this one was ruined by a Canadian (Jomarac5). Seems this one is headed in the same direction. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm hoping it's only a select few of you that are doing this, I know it's not all Canadians, but you two need to lighten up and relax a little bit.

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

[This message was edited by Elias on July 18, 2003 at 09:29 AM.]

quote:
kablooey wrote:

The thread that probably spurred him to start this one was ruined by a Canadian (Jomarac5).

Really? I suppose that you're entitled to your opinion. Actually, the thread that you speak of was ruined by the fellow who started it.

Furthermore, I find the photo that you posted quite distasteful.

BTW: I relax just fine, thank you.

I voted no.

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

I think this is the exact sort of response Kanto was talking about...

I also find the photo you posted distasteful!

I sponsor of a few special needs folks in the Special Olympics and a couple of them use this site. I wonder how they will feel if they happen upon that photo?

[This message was edited by Team 5-oh! on July 18, 2003 at 09:06 AM.]

Sometimes it's important to let people know there is oppositon even if you won't agree.

Case in Point and my favorite peeve. Caves.

They know I'm going to stand for access to all.

I know they are going to object to caches that they think will lead to potential harm.

Both sides have to start thinking about the other sides position. It can't be avoided. (Ok some people avoid thinking but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule)

Believe it or not I do learn and I do adapt my stand on issues. For example (don't tell the cavers...) I would now agree that there are some caves that don't need a geocache near them. This came out of all the threads and arguments over that topic.

quote:

[image removed by Elias]

Thank you for removing the image, Elias. After I saw the messages that people were offended, I came to delete it but you beat me to it.

My intention was not to offend anyone, but simply to make a point. My apologies to everyone, whether you saw it or not. It was in bad taste and the reactions of others didn't cross my mind. The point still stands, however, just the words should be different.

This is the last I'll comment on this subject.

~robert

[This message was edited by mrkablooey on July 18, 2003 at 01:43 PM.]

quote:

It was in bad taste and the reactions of others was not thought through...

My reaction that the photo was distasteful was not thought through? What exactly do you mean? I do however agree with the point you were making.

bickering on the internet = wasted bandwidth!

I still voted no.

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

My reaction that the photo was distasteful was not thought through?

I edited my post to read:

"It was in bad taste and the reactions of others didn't cross my mind."

~robert