New Flying-Eagle Geocoin

darniforgot

Here is my first attempt at designing a geocoin. This will be the first in a series of flying-bird geocoins I plan to have made. This first one is called “Flying-Eagle” and is a 3-piece coin (1-body, 2-wings) which allows the wings to move up and down as if it was flying. The Flying-Eagle is a bald eagle which has a glow-in-the-dark head and tail and will be trackable through geocaching.com. I just got my first samples and wanted to post them here to get other people’s opinion on my design. I'm not sure how many I will have minted yet, but I plan to sell some of them through ebay later this year. I plan to begin the next flying-bird design shortly.

8c9826a9-a015-4be7-a20e-d5fdfad6159e.jpg

3ec39f58-a8e2-41de-878f-b6573d753cd7.jpg

I'm impressed by the design, but was wondering if it is possible to close the wings one way or another so the complete coin will be flat? Is this the only version you will make? No other colours? I don't know if it's the picture, but the colours don't look 'alive' to me, a bit 'flat' (sorry, but I don't know how I can explane this in an other way)I like the light on the wall from the reflection of the coin :) .

i have a feeling that the wings could break off when moved from cache to cache and the cold could weaken them. just a minor concern

That looks like a strong hinge to me. It is similar to a door hinge, which under normal usage takes lots of abuse. The metal will most likely be bronze and I cannot see it being weakened by the types of temperatures one would find outside in winter. Do outside door hinges to our houses fail in January? If you were to put it in liquid nitrogen, then you might have problems. :D

To me, the biggest concern is whether the wings can be fully opened and fully closed. Besides the need to store it flat, if the hinge is not able to let the wings go into fully open and fully closed positions, the leverage from the long wings could put great stress on the hinge and snap it.

Here is a picture with better lighting that shows the colors better:

2bd3e649-f41a-4513-a401-14fd86885256.jpg

I also had my son playing with one all day to see how it holds up to a lot of handling and stress. I knew people would be concerned whether the hinges would hold up, so I wanted to put it though some stress tests. Its still holding strong and shows no signs of hinge malfunction or wear. He absolutely loves it, so I probably will never get that one back.

Edited by darniforgot

There is the question of availability. You mention selling on Ebay. Do you intend on selling each and every one by auction? Or will you make some available here on the forums at a fixed price? My feeling is that the popularity this thread is showing will wane if access to the coin is by auction only.

I's a month since the last post of the developer. Is it still going on?

Yes, this is still in the works. I am having the coin reworked so it is smaller in diameter. I felt the original coin was too large and asked to have them made smaller. I'm not certain of the ETA yet on the smaller coins.

I's a month since the last post of the developer. Is it still going on?

Yes, this is still in the works. I am having the coin reworked so it is smaller in diameter. I felt the original coin was too large and asked to have them made smaller. I'm not certain of the ETA yet on the smaller coins.

You are actually having them remake the dies? That has to be costly.

Any new info on this great looking coin?

I got word last week that the samples may be ready by the end of June. I will post a new picture when it arrives. The original sample was way larger than we had agreed upon so they needed time to rework it to the original specifications we had agreed on. If all looks well, they may be in production as soon as next month (July).

I got the final samples this week and they are the correct size now. I am adding a picture with the Flying-Eagle geocoin next to a quarter to show the size. They will go into production this month (July) but I'm not sure yet how long it will be until I receive them. I have not determined a price yet. That will depend on my final costs.

25ff43d2-df40-49a9-984e-5dc5aa757526.jpg

Any more info on this coin?

Good timing on your update request. I just got word about 10 minutes ago that they are finished and are getting shipped out this week. I should hopefully have them sometime early next week. I hope to have some on ebay for sale shortly after that.

serious? ...why ebay? ...are these going to be made available to purchase anywhere else? ...cool coin and I'd love to purchase one, but if buying from ebay is the only option, it will keep me from doing so...

The coins have finally arrived and I will start selling them on ebay this week. I currently have one listed, but will try to list more soon. I am using ebay auction right now, but may sell some at a later date at a fixed price. I have heard requests to sell some through the forums, so I may look into that at a later time as well and will update this forum if I decide to offer them here. Right now, I need to pay some huge medical bills for my son and auction is my best method to get us through right now. Hopefully I can change this at a later time to offer it to those who are not willing to use ebay or auction.