New 'log a cache' page

southdeltan

quote:
Originally posted by TerraTrekkers:

Was the omission of the "not found" option intentional or an oversight? I don't see a way to upload pictures either.

TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]=

Jim & Deb

[This message was edited by TerraTrekkers on September 24, 2003 at 03:20 PM.]

The not found option appears to be there for me. It's on the drop-down menu.

I'm curious as to the difference between

ARCHIVE (SHOW)

and

ARCHIVE (NO SHOW)

I assume the 'needs archived' is the same as the old 'should be archived'.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I'm curious as to the difference between

ARCHIVE (SHOW)

and

ARCHIVE (NO SHOW)

Backwards compatibility. (SHOW) still allows people to view it when it is archived. (NO SHOW) doesn't. This issue was raised some time ago when users wanted a cache deleted from view, like when placed illegally.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

Here's another question:

If I log a find, and the cache owner Archives (No Show) it - can I still see my log?

I'm assuming the Find/Note/Nofind still exists so totals arent affected.

Yes, with the new permalink feature you'll have a link to your cache log. And no, your find counts wouldn't be affected. Either the page won't be viewable, or all coordinate references would be removed from the page.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Jeremy, I posted this in another thread, but I'm not sure if you saw it. I don't seem to have the ability as a cache owner to encrypt logs anymore. Was this an oversight?

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Jeremy, I posted this in another thread, but I'm not sure if you saw it. I don't seem to have the ability as a cache owner to encrypt logs anymore. Was this an oversight?

Yes. Just have to figure out where to put that.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

quote:
with the new permalink feature you'll have a link to your cache log.

What is this and how does it work?

It's just a direct link to a log. It's more useful if the log is longer or there are a lot of images to look at.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:

Owners can now permanently encrypt entries.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Corp Of Discovery:

Is there still a limit on the size of picture that can be uploaded?

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

Not really, but don't go bonkers. If it is huge it will just resize it to 600 pixels. You can even "flip" the image after you upload it, for when you take a picture with your camera at a 90 degree angle.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Not really, but don't go bonkers. If it is huge it will just resize it to 600 pixels. You can even "flip" the image after you upload it, for when you take a picture with your camera at a 90 degree angle.

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! Won't be going crazy here, but will be nice to upload a better quality pic. Nice feature, being able to rotate too. big_smile.gif

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Corp Of Discovery:

Won't be going crazy here, but will be nice to upload a better quality pic. big_smile.gif

Resizing isn't the highest quality. I'll be working on better ways to resize photos in the near future.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

What cache are you referring to?

And quit griping. Maps will be up on Friday. Sheesh.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

A simple "Maps will be up on Friday" would suffice.

We have only posted one other time regarding this matter, back when all of this "upgrading" began. At that time the maps would be "up in March" then it turned to May and now it’s Friday. Since we used those maps as our primary means of planning our weekend trips it has been inconvenient but we have NOT complained.

We became charter members of GC when it was first offered because we understand the time and expense an undertaking of this type must take. We support geochacing.com because we enjoy caching and appreciate the importance of this site.

Your attitude towards loyal members seems to be a little strained. Perhaps you should go geocaching to relieve the stress.

Sheesh.

TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]=

Jim & Deb

Point taken. You'll have to excuse me. After countless "Why are you doing x when [pet site peeve] isn't done yet" critiques I can get a little edgy.

Going back yo your initial pick, what cache can you not log a no find?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

This must be related:

I just got a Watch List Notification and the changes are great. I like seeing in the subject line who found which cache without having to open the message. A cacher recently went out a hit about 30 caches one night and the logs weren't bery interesting "great hide, thanks" so I didn't want to read anymore of them. I didn't want to delete them all without opening them either in case they were other logs from other cachers.

Turns out there were 3 cachers on the trip so my emails were tripled with short, bland logs.

Thanks for the upgrade!

P.S. If those cachers are reading this, this is NOT a shot at you. I imagine after a 30 cache night it gets hard to remember and log something more descriptive. I just prefer to not read the "Found It. TNLNSL" logs.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:

Owners can now permanently encrypt entries.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Thanks!

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

Jeremy,

Is it possible for you guys to put an announcement on the main page (www.geocaching.com) explaining the new maps and how they work when they go live. I'd recommend possibly putting it near any links to the maps.

A lot of users don't use the forums and some new additions are confusing.

I don't think the new log page is that confusing, and bugs are being fixed, but I think a lot of changes are poorly announced. I'm fairly sure I clicked the 'send me updates' box and I never recieve emails about it.

Just a suggestion (I know you're up to your eyeballs in them).

Great work, all of the changes are definite improvements and it's nice to see the bugs being squashed so quickly.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

Nice page, but I think "needs archived" is a bit... grammatically challenged. tongue.gif

Hehe... true, but we developers of Groundspeak-style GPX applications have been seeing "needs archived" long enough that it looks normal. icon_wink.gif (That's what the log type is in the Pocket Query GPX files...)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Post a new log

In reference to:

Type of log:

Date Logged:

Add a waypoint to the log

Comments:

Does the dropping off a TB option only show up if you have a bug in your possession? Cause I'm just not seeing it on the page...

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

Enfanta,

I had no trouble using the new log page to drop off a travel bug in the cache I visited last evening. IF you have a bug in your inventory, the travel bug section shows up at the bottom of the log page just like it always did. I noted that the travel bug section does NOT appear when you log a virtual cache or a webcam cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Once you've logged a bug, you shouldn't have to save the little scrap of paper you wrote the serial number on. Thanks for adding this feature!

Yeah. We'll be doing that on other pages so you can keep your travel bugs straight.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Has something changed with the way Watch List Notifications work? I'm watching this cache. I happened to make a note on this cache today and didn't get notification. So I'm assuming that either 1) you don't get notified of your own logs any longer or 2) notes don't generate notifications any longer or 3) notifications are slow right now or maybe down? I did get a couple of the new style notifications yesterday but nothing since last night.

GO$Rs

I logged a cache on my watch list today and it took about an hour before the email arrived. Usually it's less than a second.

quote:
Originally posted by g-o-cashers:

Has something changed with the way Watch List Notifications work? I'm watching http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=476dfda3-0467-4290-ab6c-497312226a63 cache. I happened to make a note on this cache today and didn't get notification. So I'm assuming that either 1) you don't get notified of your own logs any longer or 2) notes don't generate notifications any longer or 3) notifications are slow right now or maybe down? I did get a couple of the new style notifications yesterday but nothing since last night.

GO$Rs

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

I logged a cache on my watch list today and it took about an hour before the email arrived. Usually it's less than a second.

Hey, CacheMonkeez made a post without asking for stats or a leaderboard!! icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

I might be wrong about this, but at one time there was talk about a check box being added to the "Log a cache" page that would let you receive a copy of your log by email. Is that still planned or was it dropped or am I dreaming that? icon_wink.gif

Also, would it be possible to include a "watch this cache" checkbox on the log a cache page? Just thinking it might be easier if it was all there together so you could get it all done at once.

Thanks for everything...looks great here!

Bret

39219_2500.gif "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I just logged some caches and noticed that we don't have the option to leave our homepage url on the cache log.

Personally, I'd like to see this back. I'm sure it doesn't affect that many cachers, but I get a lot of response to my site...much coming from people who read my logs.

Is this an oversight or has it just been removed?

I've always thought it would be easier and less clunky if there was an option on our "Modify your account" page (where we're asked to enter our homepage url for our profile page) for "Show or do not show your homepage in logs." Not being a programmer, I don't know how possible this is, but it's been a thought.

Thanks again!

Bret

Giving this topic a bump. I still haven't seen any word on adding our webpage urls to our cache logs. Is this feature just plain gone or will it be coming back?

Thanks!

Bret

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

Giving this topic a bump. I still haven't seen any word on adding our webpage urls to our cache logs. Is this feature just plain gone or will it be coming back?

It's gone.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

How do I drop off a TB in a cache? I liked that I could just select it out of my inventory.

Same as before. It is on the "log a cache" page.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

This seems to work fine when entering a new log but I see if I forget to drop a bug when I enter the log I can not do it if I go back to edit the log.

Oh. When are the stats going to be available?

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

Hey, CacheMonkeez made a post _without_ asking for stats or a leaderboard!! icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-076.gif

And may no Admin bricks http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19490_2600.gif fly your way

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

It's gone.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Would you mind elaborating? Why is it gone?

Thanks.

Zhanna

Dropping off a travel bug is not available for locationless caches either. I can't put one into the Travel Bug Graveyard now. icon_frown.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!