Two bugs on the GPSMAP 62

Software v2.92 (latest)

1) Glida Ratio To Destination does not seem to work. Destination set, this field remains blank. (Oregon 450 and 62)

2) Attempting to change the date on the tides screen (after selecting a tides location) gives me a "whteout" screen and I cannot change the date. (62 only)

I've tried a master reset. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or are these really bonafide bugs?

Software v2.92 (latest)

1) Glida Ratio To Destination does not seem to work. Destination set, this field remains blank. (Oregon 450 and 62)

Never tried Glida Ratio To Destination, so cannot comment - sorry.

2) Attempting to change the date on the tides screen (after selecting a tides location) gives me a "whteout" screen and I cannot change the date. (62 only)

I've tried a master reset. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or are these really bonafide bugs?

For tide data, I have installed Bluechart Altantic. Tide dates are changed with the rocker button without any probs - no whiteout screens. The tide 'sinusoidal' chart can be displayed with hi lo water times above the chart. Everything seems to work fine for me on the 62s. Are you using a Bluechart product? I read somewhere that tide data is incl ( dont know how ) in the US versions without need for any additional Bluechart product???

I haven't replaced the buggy 62s that I had last fall, but this from a 60CSx and older 60Cx.

When I tried to use the Glide Ratio on the 60CSx, it came up blank. Seems like that I read later that I needed something else loaded, like a map that I didn't have on it?

My 5 year old 60Cx has Americas Marine Point Basemap loaded in it. When I clicked on Find>Marine Points>Tide Station>San Cemente, the date was 26- Feb-11, and it wouldn't let me change it, but I was in the GPS Off mode. Changed to GPS On and let it sit in a south window for a few min to update and then it let me change the date ok.

Glide ratio to destination - The glide ratio required to descend from your current position and elevation to the destination's elevation.

Does your destination waypoint have elevation information?

I'm gliding from my front door to the summit of a mountain. I always assumed that the unit knows what elevation my destination is because I can view the estimated elevation profile on my dashboard. Just because I'm gliding Upwards shouldn't mean anything since I'm still approaching my destination at a ratio of feet over feet. Why doesn't garmin just generate an "Elevation to Destination" field so I know how many feet I have until my sorry hump makes the summit?

I'm gliding from my front door to the summit of a mountain. I always assumed that the unit knows what elevation my destination is because I can view the estimated elevation profile on my dashboard.

Is that a valid assumption? I'm not sure and I have no experience there.

Why not try to enter elevation information into a waypoint and see if the glide ratio to destination shows something?

After more fun test on the 60CSx, I found out that the measurement has to be from my present location, to a lower location, with a known elevation installed. No "updrafts" allowed!

The GR to Dest number appeared as soon as I hit the goto to the lower elev.

The Glide Ratio stayed blank until I started moving.

First attempts in the Demo Mode failed. I made a "new location" on a mtn top, with a goto to a lower point, but no numbers appeared in the GR to Dest Data Field. More test needed.

I just thought I'd share that there has been a flury of responsive activity regarding my emails to the 62/78 beta team. Thay have responded to all of my concerns and plan to issue a fix to these as well as other bugs I've emailed them about over the past two months. I've received three emails from their beta team to different email addresses over the last two days. It seems as though they are currently working on a software update. Keep your eyes peeled over the next few weeks. :)

Just found a third bug. With a Topo map enabled(any topo map, Garmin or custom) go to the Map Setup => Advanced Map Setup => Text Size => Land Cover => None . The unit shuts down every time. This is the same behavior I get with my Oregon 450. It would be nice if someone else tried this just to verify that it's not my specific maps or unit making the crash.

And just a note. I received another email from Garmin today letting me know that the two bugs in my original post have been identified and will be resolved in the next firmware update. Many Kudo's to the Garmin beta teams for their responsiveness and quick action.

Edited by yogazoo

Just found a third bug. With a Topo map enabled(any topo map, Garmin or custom) go to the Map Setup => Advanced Map Setup => Text Size => Land Cover => None . The unit shuts down every time. This is the same behavior I get with my Oregon 450. It would be nice if someone else tried this just to verify that it's not my specific maps or unit making the crash.

Same here. Both my 62s and 550 shut down when selecting none with the topo map as the last thing enabled. If I enable City Nav over the top, it doesn't shutdown.

UPDATE:

Within 24 hours Garmin emailed me to tell me that they've isolated the problem with the shutdowns and have fixed it. The fix will be available in the next software release. So, in summary, all three bugs I've mentioned in this thread have been identified and fixed for both the 62/78 and Oregon x50 series. Again, I cannot say enough about Garmin's efforts here.