Trip Odometer Discrepancy - Magellan Explorist GC

Today I took my Explorist GC to map a hike and find some caches. I started the trip and proceeded on the hike, when I got to the end I looked at the trip stats on the GPSr and it said I had travelled 4.5 miles, which seemed a bit short to me. When I got home, I imported the tracks data into Google Earth which listed my trip at 6.17 miles? Has anyone experienced this with other devices and Google Earth? Is GE a bit optimistic?

Thanks.

Funny that you asked this question. Just last night I went for a walk and took my Explorist GC to check it's accuracy. I walked to a point that I know is .5 miles. When I check the GPS it said .3!! Not sure what the problem is! Doesn't sound good.

Mmkks

Funny that you asked this question. Just last night I went for a walk and took my Explorist GC to check it's accuracy. I walked to a point that I know is .5 miles. When I check the GPS it said .3!! Not sure what the problem is! Doesn't sound good.

Mmkks

Good to know someone else experienced this, too. I'll have to take my unit a see if I can replicate the issue with a known distance.

Did you happen to save the trip where you could load it into Google Earth to see what that program lists the distance as?

Sit in one spot and watch your coordinates change because of position inaccuracy. Now, ask yourself why doesn't the odometer change when your position changes. Because the GPS guesses you are not moving because the distance changes are small. Now what happens when you walk slowly? The GPS may still guess you are stopped for the same reason. The GPS can later mathematically smooth out the zig-zagging and stopping of the track caused by inaccuracy.

This was a phenomenon on the original Explorist devices (I had a 500). The odometer was always short; I got used to checking the length of the recorded track--as it was being recorded--if I wanted to know a more accurate number. It seemed like the track was usually spot on, as best I could tell.

Of course, these were entirely different devices from the Explorist GC, so I don't know whether my recollection has any relevancy or not.

I have been using eXplorist GC to keep track of miles I walk for a fitness program. I noticed the discrepancy in mileage from the beginning. So I took it to a 400 meter track this morning, walked 10 laps and the the GC recorded 3.2 km. That is off by a factor of 1.25. I think it is a program error. I am going to compare it to my car's odometer this afternoon.

While I know nothing of an Explorist, the phenomenon discussed here is/was common to all Garmin handhelds. Then it was solved after many firmware iterations.

The root of the problem is using automotive specific GPS chipsets in handheld units. Those chipsets were intended for speeds of 25+ mph, not the 2 mph of walking. Do a test and measure your Explorist in a vehicle and see if the odometer isn't much closer to actual at highway speeds.

If that test proves accurate, then you'll need to contact Magellan for a firmware upgrade. Good Luck!

While I know nothing of an Explorist, the phenomenon discussed here is/was common to all Garmin handhelds. Then it was solved after many firmware iterations.

Don't think they fixed the firmware on my Etrex30 yet. :( My 19.5 mile hike tracklog showed up as 20.3 miles on the trip odometer.

I'm surprised at your trivial post. You of all people know full well every new Garmin is released as a beta then gets fixed over time. Why not add some knowledge to this thread, you have plenty to share.

As to your etrex 30, that's less than 10% high out of the gate, pretty good for Garmin, and good for your ego. My OR 450 was 20% low, now about 0.5% high.

As to your etrex 30, that's less than 10% high out of the gate, pretty good for Garmin, and good for your ego. My OR 450 was 20% low, now about 0.5% high.

Frankly, I thought 5% was too much. Why doesn't the trip computer just display the sum of the tracklog?

Ask Garmin. Why are we OT in this thread?

Thought you were broadening the topic here. Guess I misunderstood.

That was simply back story to lead into my attempt to help Explorist owners. See below:

The root of the problem is using automotive specific GPS chipsets in handheld units. Those chipsets were intended for speeds of 25+ mph, not the 2 mph of walking. Do a test and measure your Explorist in a vehicle and see if the odometer isn't much closer to actual at highway speeds.

If that test proves accurate, then you'll need to contact Magellan for a firmware upgrade. Good Luck!

There are many Garmin odometer threads on this forum, I've contributed as well, join in.

I assume you post in Garmin's forums, what have you learned there? If you have an answer, jump to an appropriate thread.