problems with garmins not staying put on the dash

I have 2 garmins for the car, a garmin nuvi 1200 and a 765T. I've had them both for a year or two and they both suffer the same problem: after anywhere from 5-30 minutes the suction cup comes come lose and it crashes to the floor usually hitting the cup holder. I've had replacement balls, suction cups and and flat pieces that you attack the suction cup to. Nothing works. I've used suction cup mount GPS for years and never in my life had problems. I know how to correctly attach it. So does my wife. And now our GPS are practically unusable. I can't put them on the dash because I know it'll crash down and eventually break. I have to sit mine in the cup holder to use it.; thankfully its got audible directions so I can pretty much rely on the verbal instructions, but if I need to look at the screen I have to look far away from the road.

I am wondering if any other garmin owners are having problems because this is too frequent to be coincidence.

Edited by lostinjersey

I use the sandbag / friction holder as well. After 3 years, the original Garmin one no longer works as well, but when new it would grip through tight turns.

I also have the generic one sold by GPSCity. It seems to grip better, but you need to attach the window suction cup thingie to it, and that is the weak point.

Cleaning the suction cup and glass helps a lot. So does moistening it before applying - maybe try a small spray bottle in the car, as saliva is just too disgusting.

One of the advantage of the Garmin 76-78 line is that on our 3 vehicles (Land Cruiser, Scion t5, Roadtrek van) is that you can use a non slip material and jam the GPS between the windshield and dash. Never had it fall off. We have a Nuvi 550 that sets in the sandbag holder, and the 76 CSX and 78S are jamed between the dash and windshield. Works for us. We had problems with all of the suction cup holders.

One of the advantage of the Garmin 76-78 line is that on our 3 vehicles (Land Cruiser, Scion t5, Roadtrek van) is that you can use a non slip material and jam the GPS between the windshield and dash. Never had it fall off. We have a Nuvi 550 that sets in the sandbag holder, and the 76 CSX and 78S are jamed between the dash and windshield. Works for us. We had problems with all of the suction cup holders.

Have to agree with sandbag holders. I found one for $20 with the mount for my Verizon Fascinate and much to my surprise the gooseneck ball fits the Garmin Nuvi and Oregon units we have too. Had zero luck trying to get the Oregon or Nuvi to stick to the dash or windshield. The sandbag worked great with both mounts.

I got mine at https://www.arkon.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html (the SM412 fits the Fascinate) and basically got the phone mount thrown in for free, as the price for the sandbag alone was a steal in my opinion.

Edited by vds

i used a can of soup to stick the suction cut too in my suburban.. worked great.. the heavy can kept the vibration down. now i stick my droid x to the windshield with the factory moutnt..

i think it's best to take it down and clean it.. the cup and the windchield.

allthough, mine has been up for about 4 weeks now without falling.. it's about time for a reset.

I don't care for the dashboard mounts.......I never used the suction mount that came with the Nuvi but got an Arkon instead ( forum advice)....clean the windshield with alcohol, clamp it on and you're good for a year or so. I mount it just below my mirror.

I got a small, cheap, lanyard and looped it around the mirror and the Nuvi so if the suction fails it just hangs down a couple of inches .......I clamp it back and I'm good to go.

Another vote for dash mounts. Personally I like the new one better...

That's the one I got. It's an expensive little thing. Has a sticky rubber foot, and it's easier to move the mount than the suction cup was (to place it out of the sun when I park). It bends to conform to a dashboard, and although I have a velour dash cover, the mount stays in place well. It may depend on the dashboard, as to whether there's a suitable spot you can set it for useful viewing.

cf-lg.jpg