Request to delete a cache

I have just received a request from a cacher to delete or archive one of my (active and modestly successful) caches. Looking at his cache page, it looks like this cacher is a young boy who has found all of 11 caches and hidden 3, and he says he wants to hide a cache that is within 500 feet of mine. Now this request seems to me to be rather bad form, and I assume I don't have to comply with his request, but how do I reply to his email? I don't want to be rude..... Does this situation happen often?

well, you cant delete one, so you are asking about his archive request. Technically one could move a cache too, but either way, he is out of line.

Depends on you, how much effort you want to put into it. You could try to take the high road, try to help him out by asking what type of cache he wanted to hide and maybe help offer suggestions yet politely saying you were there first...perhaps to have him keep a look out for archive requests in area he wants.

Or, you can just ignore him, or just say simply, sorry with some fluff of why you want to keep the cache.

Hi catchapig,

Unfortunately, it can happen occasionally and usually (not always) by a newer cacher who wants to hide a cache in a spot near yours.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd guess he's tried to hide it and has been turned down because your cache is too close. You've done nothing wrong.

You have two paths to walk and you could choose which one suits your style. You can email him back a friendly note (take the high road) and explain to him that you've had this cache, you're maintaining this cache and you plan on keeping this cache. Maybe you could help guide him to a spot far enough away from your cache. But in the general area. He could just need a little guidance from an experienced cacher. Or..you can take path #2 and try to shrug it off.

A polite inquiry into whether you would be open to moving or archiving one of your caches isn't necessarily in bad form. The person could have a legitimate reason why they want to place a cache in a very specific location. Rather than give up on the idea, their request to you could be one last attempt to create a special cache.

How they word their request, of course, could be in bad form. In any case, you certainly aren't obligated to honor their request. If it was me, I'd ask why they felt they needed to place a cache at that particular location. If the reason was a good one, I'd consider moving/archiving my cache unless my reason for keeping it in place outweighed their reason.

If it was me, I'd ask why they felt they needed to place a cache at that particular location. If the reason was a good one, I'd consider moving/archiving my cache unless my reason for keeping it in place outweighed their reason.

I've actually done that-twice last year! In one case, it was because a local magazine covered geocaching, placed their cache, and published the coordinates before they even got the geocache approved! I decided to let them have the spot, and helped them learn the correct way to proceed for their next cache.

A couple of months ago I placed a cache in a very specific location for a very specific reason. The problem was that there was a guardrail cache that was about 25 feet too close. I contacted the other cacher and he worked with me by moving his cache down the guardrail. The point is that we worked together to and now there are two caches for people to find at this historic location. I'd suggest you think about it from that point of view. See if there isn't a way you can work together.

A couple of months ago I placed a cache in a very specific location for a very specific reason. The problem was that there was a guardrail cache that was about 25 feet too close. I contacted the other cacher and he worked with me by moving his cache down the guardrail. The point is that we worked together to and now there are two caches for people to find at this historic location. I'd suggest you think about it from that point of view. See if there isn't a way you can work together.

Hey, I just figured out what you're talking about. Yeah, he's a nice guy, and I used to cache with him, but probably not in 5 years. I should contact him. :)

Private messages aside, I wouldn't doubt this youngster had a cache rejected by the reviewer, the kid was persistant, and the reviewer suggested his only alternative was to contact you. Pure speculation, of course, but a scenario no one else has brought up. Yes, a cordial conversation with him is the best way to go, as it sounds like you'll do.

Private messages aside, I wouldn't doubt this youngster had a cache rejected by the reviewer, the kid was persistant, and the reviewer suggested his only alternative was to contact you. Pure speculation, of course, but a scenario no one else has brought up. Yes, a cordial conversation with him is the best way to go, as it sounds like you'll do.

Post #3:

Hi catchapig,

Unfortunately, it can happen occasionally and usually (not always) by a newer cacher who wants to hide a cache in a spot near yours.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd guess he's tried to hide it and has been turned down because your cache is too close. You've done nothing wrong.

You have two paths to walk and you could choose which one suits your style. You can email him back a friendly note (take the high road) and explain to him that you've had this cache, you're maintaining this cache and you plan on keeping this cache. Maybe you could help guide him to a spot far enough away from your cache. But in the general area. He could just need a little guidance from an experienced cacher. Or..you can take path #2 and try to shrug it off.

;)

Just a politely worded email that you have reason to like this cache and like its hide location and style.

or

If you are willing - offer to move it a bit to help out.

Either way - there is nothing that says you are obligated to change a thing.

In my experience - it has never happened and I think it is probably a very rare request to happen.

Heh. After doing a little sleuthing, I have a guess who it was. If I'm right, he just published two new caches of his own on 1 March, and presumably wanted to have another one published.

If someone (kid, adult, child at heart, whatever) wanted to hide a cache that was almost but not quite 0.1 miles from one of our caches, I think we could work with them. Or, if I'd moved or for some other reason couldn't maintain it, sure, we've got something to work with. But it strikes me as a little cheeky to ask someone to archive an active cache so they could hide a cache in the exact same place.

Post #3:

Hi catchapig,

;)

Busted!! But not really, I read that. She didn't mention anything about the reviewer suggesting to email the nearby cache owner. I don't think that many people, especially a kid, would come up with that idea on their own.

Sounds like this kid is very new to caching and doesn't understand proper etiquette yet. He sounds a little bit overly ambitious to be planning this many hides when he is so new to the game. Many feel better caches are placed by those who have more finds.(although others point out there are always exceptions)

Because he wants to put his in the same place you put yours, seems a bit rude. If he wanted you to just move yours over a little, that's understandable. But to want to put one right where yours is, that's a bit out of line.

However, he is new (and maybe very young) so we can overlook his impertinence and reply kindly, that no, sorry, this spot is taken. You are enjoying your cache and others are as well. Perhaps thank him for the compliment on your choice of spots (being so good that he would like to hide one there too) if you wish.

There are no doubt many other great spots he will have a great time looking for.

A polite inquiry into whether you would be open to moving or archiving one of your caches isn't necessarily in bad form. The person could have a legitimate reason why they want to place a cache in a very specific location. Rather than give up on the idea, their request to you could be one last attempt to create a special cache.

How they word their request, of course, could be in bad form. In any case, you certainly aren't obligated to honor their request. If it was me, I'd ask why they felt they needed to place a cache at that particular location. If the reason was a good one, I'd consider moving/archiving my cache unless my reason for keeping it in place outweighed their reason.

+1 on that. Most of my caches I would consider moving a bit. Some wouldn't work if moved, so they would stay; unless the new guy had a super cache that would be super cool, but would only work in that one spot. Then I may archive the cache.

If you don't want to archive your cache don't. I would email the cacher and explain why to him.

I once upon a time wanted to place a cache at a historial spot but waited too long and another was placed too close that had nothing to do with the history of the spot. I emailed the CO asking them to archive or move their cache and explained why. Didn't get a reply, Oh well life goes on.

You know its funny reading the responses to posts like this as it really depends on the OP's position.

I cannot count the times in the last year I have read similar threads posted by an "eager" cacher who had a novel container they wanted to place in a particular spot, only to find proximity problems prevented it.

Many forum regulars have suggested to cachers such as that one, that they could always contact the owner of the cache in place and try to work something out.

Bad form?? I don't think it is. But then I am somewhat naive in believing most veteran cachers are willing to help newbies get established.

If you could work out something with "him?' it would help get him started with a positive attitude about other cachers. If he is asking for the exact same spot you already occupy. I would find that a little too forward.

I would not feel bad about going with either option as far as a response to him, but would hope whatever you decide, you would respond in a courteous manner. Which I am sure you would already.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

You know its funny reading the responses to posts like this as it really depends on the OP's position.

I cannot count the times in the last year I have read similar threads posted by an "eager" cacher who had a novel container they wanted to place in a particular spot, only to find proximity problems prevented it.

Many forum regulars have suggested to cachers such as that one, that they could always contact the owner of the cache in place and try to work something out.

Bad form?? I don't think it is. But then I am somewhat naive in believing most veteran cachers are willing to help newbies get established.

+1

+1

+2

I'd probably send them something like this:

Dear Whippersnapper:

Thanks for your email! Unfortunately, I`m rather fond of my cache, and other people seem to be enjoying it too, so I don't think I'll archive it now. I see you already have a few hides of your own, so you know that part of the fun of geocaching is finding a brand-new spot for a cache that no one else has thought of yet. Looking at the map, I can see that the north end of the park would be far enough away from my cache, or there's plenty of space in Zzz Park down the road. You could maybe put your cache there. When you do find a good spot for your next cache, I look forward to finding it!

Good Luck,

Veteran-Cacher-Who`s-Stayin-Put

And I'll bet he found, when he moved it, that it was actually even a prettier section of guardrail than where he originally hid it. Funny how those things work out.

Just curious is the op's cache a guardrail or film can?

I doubt it: "one of my (active and modestly successful) caches." but nevertheless... what does that matter? Why would you even ask that?

It really doesn't matter, but I could see someone asking to move a grc if they had a better local spot. Personally I would never ask to move anyones cache. Theres enough room in this world where I can probably find a better spot.

I've already experienced the joy of another cacher envying our spot. Since the cache was placed about 3 hours from our home. We politely declined the cacher's request, so (we assume) they started a campaign to get the spot. Suddenly, a cache with a quiet history was getting muggled within days of every maintenance visit. We eventually had to abandon the location as we couldn't drive down there once a week to replace it. Within 24 hours of archiving the cache, that hider had a new night cache setup in that very location.

Could he make his cache a multi...then the final could be near (but not too near) yours? Hopefully you can work together on this, especially if there is a special reason. Good luck with it!

Proximity rules would still apply to a multi.

But not necessarily to the starting point of a multi. Only if there's a physical container.

Edited by Dgwphotos

Could he make his cache a multi...then the final could be near (but not too near) yours? Hopefully you can work together on this, especially if there is a special reason. Good luck with it!

But not necessarily to the starting point of a multi. Only if there's a physical container.

I was responding to the suggestion regarding the final. None of the waypoints of a multi or mystery cache are subject to the proximity rules if they are virtual waypoints.

I was responding to the suggestion regarding the final. None of the waypoints of a multi or mystery cache are subject to the proximity rules if they are virtual waypoints.

That's the only way using a multi would help in this situation. I've used that for a few caches of mine.