I found Archived $ what do I log?

So I was out caching and found a cache by me Fresh Ground I found it on 2/27/11 and it was archived 12/23/10 I didn't know it was archived since my PQ was not set up to exclude archived caches.

Now the dilemma what if anything do I log? The cache was there and I signed in but I want to respect the wishes of the owner. not sure how to handle this. In the mean time I just have the field note sitting there while I figure it out. I did update my PQ to exclude archived caches now.

Any advice?

Thanks

Sonja

Log it.

And I really hope that using "{:content:}quot; to denote "geocache" does not catch on. Ew.

I suspect he meant to use an ampersand.

To the OP... is it somewhere near enough to you that you can go out and pick it up? If you can, and do, email the cache owner first so they don't try to duplicate your efforts, though.

Well that's an odd message on the archived cache. Too bad the container was left there.

I have found archived caches. It's happened when an icon showed up in my gps, I followed it and found the cache, then went home to log it only to discover it had been archived (obviously since I entered the coords into the gps).

If you found the cache, and signed the log, by all means log it! I wouldn't bother e-mailing the CO. I don't usually hunt for archived caches. But we found one on a vacation trip (PQ was a week old). Area had been clear cut by DOT. It was a tough find. But all four of us logged it, as well as the couple who went through a week later.

So I was out caching and found a cache by me Fresh Ground I found it on 2/27/11 and it was archived 12/23/10 I didn't know it was archived

Grrrrr. This is one of my pet peeves. It especially irks me when I've left something in the cache, now I've contributed to the litter problem. If it was nearby I'd go back and remove the cache then post a note saying that it is now properly archived.

Edited by Lone R

The cache owner is responsible for cleaning up caches when they are archived, but it doesn't always happen. We ended up collecting a cache on the Shenandoah Skyline Drive that had been archived by Groundspeak a year and a half earlier because it was on national park land, but no one had removed the container and people were still logging it. One of our few "last to find" caches.

If it was a good hide, replace it with your own cache. I have my eye on a local cache I'm just waiting to be archived so I can jump on the spot like a rat on cheese. The current container is a real easy find--in plain site. But, while looking for it, I found that, well, better not say, but I've come up with an idea where it can't be seen.

Edited by GrateBear

So I was out caching and found a cache by me Fresh Ground I found it on 2/27/11 and it was archived 12/23/10 I didn't know it was archived

Grrrrr. This is one of my pet peeves. It especially irks me when I've left something in the cache, now I've contributed to the litter problem. If it was nearby I'd go back and remove the cache then post a note saying that it is now properly archived.

Just because it's archived on this listing service, doesn't mean it's not listed elsewhere.

Just because it's archived on this listing service, doesn't mean it's not listed elsewhere.

What are the odds?

I've done this same thing just a few months ago. I had a puzzle cache solved and in a GSAK database for that day that I would be in the area to make the grab. I was in the area and had some time so I searched and found it. When I went home and logged my finds for the day I found that it was archived. I was surprised that I could log an archived cache. I see no problem with logging an archived cache as long as the cache was still in place.

If it's posted on another listing service, the CO should think about mentioning it in their cache description.

We do. Our letterboxes are also posted on a letterbox listing site and we note it in the description.

If it's posted on another listing service, the CO should think about mentioning it in their cache description.

We do. Our letterboxes are also posted on a letterbox listing site and we note it in the description.

I've found a few archived caches that are "live" on another listing site. Ideally, the CO will highlight this by some sort of sticker or notice on the cache, but it hadn't happened on my examples. In any case, I wouldn't make "improvements" to the cache without contacting the owner first, and if that isn't possible then I'd advise leaving it alone.

The CO may be unwilling to mention the alternative listing site in the Archive log for fear of incurring the Wrath of Groundspeak. In the case of the caches I found it was clearly something to fear; they'd been drummed out of geocaching.com already and may have been concerned that their colleagues, friends and relatives could be next for the treatment. :o

;)