Remaining Power Trails

I had been planning a trip to do the ET series later this year. I am disappointed that they are gone but totally understand why they are. I would still like to visit that area to do some of the other caches in this very interesting region. But now with that series gone I was wonderin where there are other power trails in the USA. I would like to plan a trip with my son at some point. Hopefully there are some other series that are safe and secure. Would love to hear about peoples favorite caching series or areas.

Darryl

Agility3d

Wind Gap Pa

Safe and secure will be the big issue, if you are planning an ET type power trail. Not sure any long PNG powertrail can be safe and secure. You may have to look for shorter runs that are not necessarily right on the side of the road. I don't know of any that aren't walking trails, like the alien head is supposed to be. Although it has been said that it is being driven on too, It should be a lot safer.

It does not need to be PNG. I do not mind doing some hiking. Even an area with several nice trails with interesting caches would be great. I really do not expect anything near the number of caches or speed of the ET ones.

I haven't done it, but it might be something to look forward to. This one is somewhere in the middle.

GC20J05

Look in the California desert northeast, south and southeast from Barstow. Lots of power trails there. Some are 4wd I think.

Route 66 series (800 caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc2j17a

Yer-MO series (60+ caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2KW0A

Both of the above are basically all 2WD. The following is recommended 4WD-

Sneaker Series (36 caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC28AVR

Groundspeak Series (40 caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC23PB6

There are plenty more in the area if you have 4WD.

There is the red rock run in Central Oklahoma. Toga just did it and repaired some of the missing containers where the container hangers could be found.

Why haven't the owners maintained it themselves?

You might want to check the logs. Containers are being found and logged with minimal NM's being posted.

On the plains, when cachers don't put the cache back properly, they get blown away. We have the same issue here as well. So many cachers help each other out when one is found to have been blown away. All part of that "leaving caches in as good or bette shape than when it was found."

Just outside of the Lancaster/Palmdale area in Southern California are the Tarot series (78 traditional and 3 bonus puzzles caches - GC20J05 Tarot The Sun) and the No Clue series (Over 90 caches, mostly traditionals and a few puzzles - GC1MCCN No Stopping). There are also tons of others in that area of all different types and sizes just waiting to be found.

Out near Searchlight, NV (about a hour from Las Vegas) there a couple of other series of caches to net you a couple of hundred finds. Some are off road and some near the paved road...

I had been planning a trip to do the ET series later this year. I am disappointed that they are gone but totally understand why they are. I would still like to visit that area to do some of the other caches in this very interesting region. But now with that series gone I was wonderin where there are other power trails in the USA. I would like to plan a trip with my son at some point. Hopefully there are some other series that are safe and secure. Would love to hear about peoples favorite caching series or areas.

Darryl

Agility3d

Wind Gap Pa

The Schuylkill River Trail series in Philly is a blast (http://coord.info/GC2FDW1) and it's not too far from Wind Gap. I've only done about half of it, but there is a lot of variety in the hides. It's not just 100 film cans in a row, which makes it fun. I recommend completing it on a bike.

There is the red rock run in Central Oklahoma. Toga just did it and repaired some of the missing containers where the container hangers could be found.

You might want to check the logs. Containers are being found and logged with minimal NM's being posted.

On the plains, when cachers don't put the cache back properly, they get blown away. We have the same issue here as well. So many cachers help each other out when one is found to have been blown away. All part of that "leaving caches in as good or bette shape than when it was found."

While I applaud cachers who help out with maintenance, and have done so several times myself (after contacting the owner) I can assure you the bolded bit in your comment is in NO way indicative of this particular power trails condition. I live about 20 miles from the Western end of the Red Rock Run, which ends in Red Rock State Park, and have cached it.

It was fairly new (published Mar 9, I ran them April 22) when I did it and the containers, in this case pill bottles, (which are not even as waterproof as film containers) had created about a 15% wet log situation. I replaced several log sheets (adding machine roll paper) just to be able to sign them.

I did not post NM's on them but rather, contacted the owners via email to inform them of this as there were so many needing attention.

This particular "team" has a couple other trails, such as the Road Trip Route around Roman Nose State Park, The Luther Loop around the town of Luther, East of Oklahoma City, and are major contributors to the Oklahoma Land Run series currently spreading across the state, in addition to several other smaller series.

I cached the Road Trip Route when it was newer and it was in good condition, but the same containers were used.

I have questioned in my own mind why these trails were published when you take into consideration the distances of travel required for maintenance, and the number of caches. For some cachers, I am sure 1000 caches are not too many to handle. For others 10 is too many. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem whatsoever with power trails or long series, but I hate to see anyone not maintain their caches regardless of how many.

I thought of these trails in regards to the OP, but after a couple local cachers asked me about the two I did, and I gave a positive review of them, only to be chastised later, I chose not to recommend them.

Others may have had a different experience with them since.

edit to add: this post is only my opinion, coupled with brief description of my experience with the two trails I ran and are not intended to "throw the owners under the bus".

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Just outside of the Lancaster/Palmdale area in Southern California are the Tarot series (78 traditional and 3 bonus puzzles caches - GC20J05 Tarot The Sun) and the No Clue series (Over 90 caches, mostly traditionals and a few puzzles - GC1MCCN No Stopping). There are also tons of others in that area of all different types and sizes just waiting to be found.

I've done some of the No Clue caches. A nice mix of containers and locations, and some cool scenery off in the distance. In among them is this one which I think is a must do, especially if you've seen the movie.

So, if I understand you correctly, we're talking throw-downs here?

Look in the California desert northeast, south and southeast from Barstow. Lots of power trails there. Some are 4wd I think.

Route 66 series (800 caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc2j17a

Yer-MO series (60+ caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2KW0A

So are these the two most logical choices for someone who has plane tickets to Vegas, and planned on doing the E.T. trail? Not for me, I would have no interest. But for someone I know who isn't a big forum poster.

Not by my definition. Replacing a known missing cache with the tacit acceptance of the CO is cache maintenance. For me, a "Thow-down" is when when a cacher can't find that 3-star difficulty cache and places a film canister so they can get the find. The example in this case stated that the holder was empty so it was obvious it was a missing cache.

I differentiate because we have a group of cachers in our area that have an agreement to replace film canisters if they are found missing. I'm not part of that group (I don't have film canister caches), but a couple of members have given me explicit permission to replace a broken/missing cache if I come across one. The advantage of this system is that it keeps cache down-time to a minimum for those seeking caches.

If I recall correctly, you use the term for all non-owner replacements. There's a very compelling argument for not helping cache owners with cache maintenance.

My position is "evolving" but at the moment I'm willing to help owners who are actively involved and care about their caches. I don't mind saving them some gas money.However, I will no longer perform cache maintenance on caches where the owner is MIA. I'll post a NM on those and maybe a NA if the situation warrants.

Darryl

Agility3d

Wind Gap Pa

The Schuylkill River Trail series in Philly is a blast (http://coord.info/GC2FDW1) and it's not too far from Wind Gap. I've only done about half of it, but there is a lot of variety in the hides. It's not just 100 film cans in a row, which makes it fun. I recommend completing it on a bike.

Not by my definition. Replacing a known missing cache with the tacit acceptance of the CO is cache maintenance. For me, a "Thow-down" is when when a cacher can't find that 3-star difficulty cache and places a film canister so they can get the find. The example in this case stated that the holder was empty so it was obvious it was a missing cache.

I differentiate because we have a group of cachers in our area that have an agreement to replace film canisters if they are found missing. I'm not part of that group (I don't have film canister caches), but a couple of members have given me explicit permission to replace a broken/missing cache if I come across one. The advantage of this system is that it keeps cache down-time to a minimum for those seeking caches.

If I recall correctly, you use the term for all non-owner replacements. There's a very compelling argument for not helping cache owners with cache maintenance.

My position is "evolving" but at the moment I'm willing to help owners who are actively involved and care about their caches. I don't mind saving them some gas money.However, I will no longer perform cache maintenance on caches where the owner is MIA. I'll post a NM on those and maybe a NA if the situation warrants.

The very idea that it is so common to have to replace the caches, proves that it isn't a good cache location in the 1st place and doesn't deserve to be "fixed"

It does not need to be PNG. I do not mind doing some hiking. Even an area with several nice trails with interesting caches would be great. I really do not expect anything near the number of caches or speed of the ET ones.

I haven't done it, but it might be something to look forward to. This one is somewhere in the middle.

GC20J05

i have done the png/Views of the Grasslands trail are good ones to get you can also get courtry Cross Trail at in the same run

Route 66 series (800 caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc2j17aYer-MO series (60+ caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2KW0A
So are these the two most logical choices for someone who has plane tickets to Vegas, and planned on doing the E.T. trail? Not for me, I would have no interest. But for someone I know who isn't a big forum poster.

I'm in the same boat as your friend. (I have the nonrefundable plane tickets and nonrefundable hotel reservations.) If you use the Geocache Google Earth Viewer and look southwest of Vegas, you can find some alternatives. Will they be as easy? I don't know. Truthfully, I've not looked into all them other than started scouting them out on a map. Good luck to your friend.

In defense of the owner of most of the caches on the Oklahoma Power Trails...when she started the series, she acknowledged that the maintenance of the caches would be an big job. Understanding this, she asked for the cachers doing the runs to please help maintain the caches as much as possible. I have replaced, repaired many caches in my quest to gain numbers in the find game. I try to carry in my vehicle, a few items to repair caches, when needed.

My suggestion is this...if you do not want to assist occasionally in the maintenance of the power trails, and other caches too for that matter, that is fine but please keep your negative comments to yourself. Or if you do not like power trails, DON'T DO THEM and again keep your negative comments to yourself...because there are some of us that enjoy the quest.

Can we please keep this thread focused on where the other cool power trails are? If you wish to continue bashing power trails, there are other threads for that. Thank you.

Awesome. And the post after yours is "I throw down caches on power trails, and if you don't like it, shut up and keep your comments to yourself". <_<

I will comply with the request, and stay on topic though.

Route 66 series (800 caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc2j17aYer-MO series (60+ caches) - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2KW0A

I'm in the same boat as your friend. (I have the nonrefundable plane tickets and nonrefundable hotel reservations.) If you use the Geocache Google Earth Viewer and look southwest of Vegas, you can find some alternatives. Will they be as easy? I don't know. Truthfully, I've not looked into all them other than started scouting them out on a map. Good luck to your friend.

Oh, they'll be fine. I've heard something about them going to Arizona also. But yes, to stay on topic, more power trail links for people are in order. More specifically for the post I'm quoting and for my pal, replacement trails for those who have reservations in Vegas.

I imagine this whole ordeal will serve as a reminder to some about the ephemeral nature of most geocaches. Non-refundable tickets? Yeesh.

I'm going to guess that you've not planned out a vacation recently. Several years ago, my family embarked on a once-in-a-lifetime cruise. Said trip had to be paid in advance. Depending on how close it was to travel time, more and more money became non-refundable. That's not unusual, it's an industry standard. If not for that reason, one wouldn't need travel insurance. Travel insurance is a lovely option and I partake of it myself when spending my (hard earned) money towards a trip. Travel insurance only works though if one is unable to travel (due to personal circumstances) it doesn't matter if the destination has suddenly evaporated.

I would have hoped that you'd have sympathy for my plight as I would have had for you if the situations had been reversed.

Near Redding in N. Calif there is a short series 60 caches called " It's a number " which follows Gilman road along the McCloud arm of Lake Shasta.

60 caches the hide styles vary at mid point there are some short hikes the final 4 caches are by no means easy as they entail a rather tough hike up the flanks of a mountain. GC # for # 60 in the series is GC249VR.

The Redding area is a cache rich part of the world and well worth the experience.

I planned a geocaching road trip last year. It started as a destination road trip (which at this point last year I was planning). After I started geocaching that aspect was added to the trip. There were a bunch of caches I "HAD" to have. I had it all nicely organized in my binder. Invested money in reservations and passes and all that jazz. Took the time off of work. And then there a series of events out of my control which impacted the destination. But we forged ahead.

I didn't find all the caches I "HAD" to have. I didn't hit the part of the destination that I HAD to see. In fact my vacation changed here and there. And you know what? We still had fun. We found a bunch of other caches which opened our eyes to different things. But in the end it was still fun.

The reality is there are caches virtually everywhere. If you take some time and look outside of the box your vacation can still be fun. Realistically vacations are only as fun as you make them.

I see you have not cached in Alabama yet....there is a nice power trail just south of Tuscaloosa called the Trees and Birds of Alabama. It has i believe 90 caches. We drove down there early one morning and got all of those and had lots of fun. There are also 11 more caches there we did not get because they are on a jeep trail and we did not have the proper vehicle.

Bicycle Power Trails NY Metro Area.

Branch Brook Park, Newark, NJ

Orange Heritage Trail, Monroe , NY

Paulinskill Valley Trail, Warbasse Junction to Blairstown NJ

North County Trail , Westchester County--Tarrytown, NY

South County Trail, Westchester County--Tarrytown NY

All of which we did on bicycles in 2010, all of which will get return visits on Bicycles in 2011. There is an off shoot of the Orange Heritage Trail in Monroe NY, with a cache series called ACM, Automatic Cache Machine that is particularly well done. The trail is flat, but rugged and we had a great experience there.

As an owner of 15 of the caches that are on the OLR series, I havent gotten any NM logs. It has been a popular series as I get the logs straight to my phone. This series is not done by just one person or team. Many people have placed and have an interest in this and we maintain for each other as we are a strong group with lots of communication. I carry containers and logs to replace for whatever cache not just the OLR. Once I had to replace a cache because we accidentally dropped it in a river while trying to return it (CO notified). Its great fun reading who is travelling through the state for the series and we have met some great people from other states that we may have never met and some have become great friends. I have done quite a bit of the series but not near all of it. The containers are varied from pill bottles, magnetics, lock n locks and ammo cans. Mine are pretty far out on the west end but I still read every log even when its TFTC or copy and pasted over and over. I would be happy to go replace one as I still need to pick up some smilies and I want to add more to the west end to finish it across the state. What cacher doesnt like to get in the car and travel?

I imagine this whole ordeal will serve as a reminder to some about the ephemeral nature of most geocaches. Non-refundable tickets? Yeesh.

I'm going to guess that you've not planned out a vacation recently. Several years ago, my family embarked on a once-in-a-lifetime cruise. Said trip had to be paid in advance. Depending on how close it was to travel time, more and more money became non-refundable. That's not unusual, it's an industry standard. If not for that reason, one wouldn't need travel insurance. Travel insurance is a lovely option and I partake of it myself when spending my (hard earned) money towards a trip. Travel insurance only works though if one is unable to travel (due to personal circumstances) it doesn't matter if the destination has suddenly evaporated.

I would have hoped that you'd have sympathy for my plight as I would have had for you if the situations had been reversed.

I agree that narcissa's post was a little brusque. When planning trips, it can get very expesnive to pay for refundable airfare. And there are those of us that use miles for tickets, but to change those trips there's still a $150 chnage fee.

However, I have to disagree with the bolded portion of your post. Only one aspect of the destination has disappeared. If you were planning a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, and for some reason it was closed during the dates of your trip, would you no longer go to France? Probably not. There are other things to see and do, and likely (almost certainly) you will still enjoy the trip because of the company, the sights, and the adventure. You have to be flexible and have some back-up plans.

(Edit for typos)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

You're quite correct, BBWolf+3Pigs. What I guess I didn't explain is that I can't get a reimbursement through travel insurance simply because the ET highway was archived. You are totally correct, we'll find other things to do and we'll have fun. (We manage to have fun just meeting for dinners or lunches!) I apologize if my message was muddled. I was just trying to point out how this could cause a financial difficulty to one and why it seemed strange that I would have travel arrangements made that couldn't be canceled without losing any money.

To Bunglebees: It sounds like your community is similar to my community. We pitch in and help out. If I'm at your cache and see that you need a log, I'll put in a new one. Why should you waste gas (that's quite expensive again) when I'm standing here right now. In return, they'd probably do the same. I, too, have dropped a cache in the river. (And handled it the exact same way that you did. The CO was very nice about it!) I too read each and every log as do every single other CO that I know. Isn't that why you place them? To enjoy their stories and thrill of the find?

In defense of the owner of most of the caches on the Oklahoma Power Trails...when she started the series, she acknowledged that the maintenance of the caches would be an big job. Understanding this, she asked for the cachers doing the runs to please help maintain the caches as much as possible. I have replaced, repaired many caches in my quest to gain numbers in the find game. I try to carry in my vehicle, a few items to repair caches, when needed.

My suggestion is this...if you do not want to assist occasionally in the maintenance of the power trails, and other caches too for that matter, that is fine but please keep your negative comments to yourself. Or if you do not like power trails, DON'T DO THEM and again keep your negative comments to yourself...because there are some of us that enjoy the quest.

So let me be sure that I am reading this correctly. You believe it is ok for an owner, with prior knowledge and forethought ( the first bolded sentence), to place a large number of caches with the predisposed intention of not maintaining them themselves, rather asking cache finders to help out???:blink: Show me where that is suggested in the Guidelines???

Further, if we do not all share your willingness to do anything for a find, we should keep our negative comments to ourselves??

I posted an accurate depiction of my personal experience with two of the trails in question, in a thread by the OP asking for alternate "power trails" to consider. The topic was NOT whether we should or should not be willing to maintain someone elses caches.

Your response was totally out of line. I went further in my own previous post, to mention I was not attempting to cast dispersions on the Owners, just inform the OP and any other readers, that these trails might need some maintenance.

If, for reasons unknown to me, you choose to be offended, I'm sorry. The "excuses" you make for the Owner do not justify not maintaining caches.

My suggestion is this...If you can't maintain them, don't place them, and if you do place them, and don't maintain them, don't get offended if someone calls attention to that fact.

My apologies to the OP for taking the thread off topic.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

First of all, I do have sympathy for those that have made travel arrangements specifically to go after the ET trail and now have to change plans. I tend to make my travel arrangements well in advance and don't care for last minute surprises.

The biggest surprise I've had was when I made travel plans for my honeymoon in Hawaii. I researched for months to find the type of accommodations we wanted based on a number of criteria then booked a hotel/condo for 10 days six months in advance. After arriving at the hotel, we were informed by the reception clerk that the hotel was overbooked and were handed a voucher to take to a travel agent down the road. I couldn't believe it, but there really wasn't anything we could do but take the voucher and see where we ended up. The "travel agency" turned out to be a small office with one person. She had a small vacation house for us and handed us a map and a set of keys. The house itself was pretty rustic. However, it was located in a small community that was almost all native Hawaiian owned residences. It was also within 100' of a gorgeous beach that was almost always empty until about 3:00pm when the local kids got out of school and went surfing. It was wonderful.

I have purchased travel insurance on a few occasions and was told to file a claim in one case. I had book a vacation rental house for two weeks in the Outer Banks several months in advance. About a week and a half before we were going to drive from NY to NC a hurricane hit the area. The house, and in fact, a very large area near it was inaccessible (due to flooding) two days before we planned on leaving. We filed the claim and made a reservation at another house that was still available (at a substantial increase in price). On the morning of the day we were going to leave we got a call from the rental agency indicating that the area had opened up to the public and not to file the insurance claim, and that if we did they would deny it. So now, we had two vacation houses rented for two weeks. Eventually the rental agency contacted the owner of the original house allowed us to cancel the reservation provided we reserved the same property for the same two weeks the following year (ie, no money was refunded).

When do you have tickets for Vegas? Jeepstaff, Paddle and I plan to do Kokopelli from March 31 to April 5th, you could use your tickets for that run then use your hotel to go over and do the alien head. The numbers would not be as great but you would still enjoy the area that the ET trail is on.

Hi Turtle! Good to see you here. Jeepstaff is already familiar w/ the ET Trail - LOL. We will be there after you leave. We'll arrive on 4/8 and are departing on 4/12.

We'll hit the Rt 66 (which we had planned all along). I have been given some additional info on other trails, just haven't put the little push pins into Google Earth yet. Our flights are in & out of Vegas (obviously) and our hotel reservations are about 15 minutes off of the strip. (We've chosen to stay in a spa/resort rather than one of the casinos on the strip.)

I think we're changing the scope of our trip to hit Rt 66, a couple other CA PTs and then we have some other wacky/goofy plans. Despite what some think, it's not been about the numbers more about challenging ourselves to cache for 24 hours. (We could still do that but I think we're going for the funny and unusual now.)

Thanks for your suggestions :) See 'ya at Trail Mix soon!

I agree that narcissa's post was a little brusque. When planning trips, it can get very expesnive to pay for refundable airfare. And there are those of us that use miles for tickets, but to change those trips there's still a $150 chnage fee.

However, I have to disagree with the bolded portion of your post. Only one aspect of the destination has disappeared. If you were planning a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, and for some reason it was closed during the dates of your trip, would you no longer go to France? Probably not. There are other things to see and do, and likely (almost certainly) you will still enjoy the trip because of the company, the sights, and the adventure. You have to be flexible and have some back-up plans.

(Edit for typos)

" I agree that narcissa's post was a little brusque. " Naaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, surely you jest

I have a spreadsheet with over 50 Southern California trails and series.

We also have started adding these out of state trails to it now.

We record who's completed the seres and it helps when we're looking to organize an outing.

You track what other cachers have done? That sounds just a bit creepy. Can you explain how that helps your caching?

I have a spreadsheet with over 50 Southern California trails and series.We also have started adding these out of state trails to it now.We record who's completed the seres and it helps when we're looking to organize an outing.
You track what other cachers have done? That sounds just a bit creepy. Can you explain how that helps your caching?

I'm guessing that he/she does it so that if/when they plan an outing they can contact the previous finders to see if there is anything they should know about ahead of time.

When I've planned a particular caching trip (generally surrounding a particular milestone that requires arrangements be made in advance), I will contact a previous finder to make sure that there isn't something that I should know before I leave home (or even make arrangements.)

Unfortunately, many cachers just don't write the informative logs like they used to. In the past, you could gain a lot of helpful information just by reading the logs. It's not so easy to do that anymore.

We could still do that but I think we're going for the funny and unusual now.

Shouldn't be too much trouble filling that need in the desert and LV. :laughing:

I'm booked to be there a few weeks after you along with lil devil and a few others. We'll just roll with it and work on plan B. I appreciate the legit posts and suggestions in this thread, and skip right past the snark. The avatars help with that. :rolleyes:

Hi Turtle! Good to see you here. Jeepstaff is already familiar w/ the ET Trail - LOL. We will be there after you leave. We'll arrive on 4/8 and are departing on 4/12.

We'll hit the Rt 66 (which we had planned all along). I have been given some additional info on other trails, just haven't put the little push pins into Google Earth yet. Our flights are in & out of Vegas (obviously) and our hotel reservations are about 15 minutes off of the strip. (We've chosen to stay in a spa/resort rather than one of the casinos on the strip.)

I think we're changing the scope of our trip to hit Rt 66, a couple other CA PTs and then we have some other wacky/goofy plans. Despite what some think, it's not been about the numbers more about challenging ourselves to cache for 24 hours. (We could still do that but I think we're going for the funny and unusual now.)

Thanks for your suggestions :) See 'ya at Trail Mix soon!

If you have time and want to slow down a bit, I suggest Valley of Fire State Park. It's one of those place that everyone should see at least once. Exit 75 from the I-15, then about 30 miles east. There is an entry fee for day use. It was $5 two years ago. (I would expect it to be higher) There are a number of Earthcaches in the park, and a number of traditionals on the way.

Once out of Vegas, almost every exit has a number of caches. At exit 100, you go a few hundred yards east and pick up The Old Spanish Trail. This is decayed blacktop, dirt and gravel. My little Saturn car had no problem at 30 mph. There are a number of caches in each direction.