Hi All, Ist day out, 1st find, help needed already!

CrazeeDaisy

Saying big excited hello from west sussex.

A couple of days ago I came across geocaching unexpectably and couldn't wait to start. Okay so it probably took me a while longer than most to work out the download but this afternoon I went on my first hunt....

I wasn't expecting to find anything and can't tell you how excited I (plus team member) was to find not only 1 cache but 3!!

Maybe I was lucky, but all 3 had treasure (sorry I'm sure thats not the right word) and while 2 had been logged yesterday the last find hadn't been logged since November!

I only have an Iphone and thought I had logged the 3 finds - they showed as pending. But checking now, none of them have registered ?

Can anyone help?

Also I can't seem to view any pics -(let alone download them)

Any hints/tips will be much appreciated.

Thanx

From the cache page, you hit "Post a Log/Field Note" (it's down near the bottom). I suppose you've already done this step since you entered the find on the phone. After entering your log, you can either hit the "Save and Close" button on the upper right, which only saves what you've written to the phone for further editing or later uploading, or "Save and Send Log" down at the bottom, which actually uploads it to Geocaching.com. That last bit is probably the part you didn't do. It will show as "pending" until you hit the "Save and Send" button. Hope this helps!

Edited by Chief301

Hi CrazyDaisee! I am a newbie too and had the exact same problem you are having. Followed all the correct instructions and even though it said successfully sent to geocaching.com it was just never there. If you log in via your computer you will see your logs under your user name as pending. I had a whole stack of double ups in there that never left my iPhone. Good luck and welcome!

Thanks to all for your welcome and replies.

Chief301- Yes did manage to log finds but then logged 1 twice, removed it on my phone but it is still showing on here - so am working on that now!!

Skittler - Ta for invite - may well pop along

Writer@large - yep have seen those ones too and like you want to get some traditionals under my belt first. Any luck with a find yet?

Bexta76- Guess we have a lot to learn!!

Bearandragged- Did see the uk site but it didnt seem to have a section for newbies, or maybe that doesn't matter?

Well, my phones charging so I may have a little wander later - he he can't wait!

p.s. why are some you listed as tadpole?

Every time I write something in a forum, I unwittingly start a big hulabaloo - lol - so I'm just going to say what I do. Whether it's right for everybody else or not, it's right for me. I use the iPhone 3GS and keep the notepad and the camera apps open as well as the gecoaching app. I put a short note in notepad with the cache name and take pictures and fill everything out online from my PC. Much easier than writing at length from the phone.

When I found my first FIRST TO FIND (FTF), (last week), I logged it and came home and edited it, to make sure I got FTF credit. Somewhere in these forums it says that the FTF is who signed the log first, but I don't want to depend on that, so I logged it from my iPhone. I was too excited finding it that I didn't pay much attention to how I posted it. I had beginners luck with posting my find from the iPhone. It also contained a geocoin!

Welcome to the world's greatest adventure!

Bear and Ragged- Did see the UK site but it didn't seem to have a section for newbies, or maybe that doesn't matter?

Just jump in, we're flexible in the UK forum! :laughing:

Whilst the main forums have specific areas, the UK and Ireland side is UK related so feel free to join in/start a new thread etc.

There is a thread called 'Adopt a newbie' where new cachers can ask for help from fellow local cachers... But it keeps slipping down several pages from the most recent thread, so requires a little bit of searching!

just to jump in on this.

I use the iphone 4 for my caching adventure. I find that you will save some battery life if you choose to only save the log. then go back to the pending requests and choose to send them all in one go. So, for now just select the save while caching, but dont forget to go back and send later.

What a great first day of caching!