Missing in Norway Sweden geocoins

Dave Mohican

Yes, very funny, coin-stealing Norwegians are everywhere... Be careful with posting your receiving of new coins here, or I might just come after them. Off to kini_ont's house now, heard that there is a heavy box over there. :lol:

Seriously, I have 4 geocoins and 3 TBs traveling in Norway. After 2-6 months, all of them are still traveling. I have come across 2 or 3 caches that should have held coins, but didn't. Mostly, if a coin is listed in the cache, I find it there. From what I've read on this and the Norwegian forum, Norway doesn't seem any worse than other countries. But of course coin-stealers could appear anywhere.

I have come across 2 or 3 caches that should have held coins, but didn't. Mostly, if a coin is listed in the cache, I find it there.

I have the same experience. I also have 3 TBs and 10 coins out there that all were set free in Norway, none has been stolen (knock on wood!)

Yes, very funny, coin-stealing Norwegians are everywhere... Be careful with posting your receiving of new coins here, or I might just come after them. Off to kini_ont's house now, heard that there is a heavy box over there. :lol:

:blink::lol::lol:

Yes I've had coins go missing no matter where they are, funny though lately I've left coins unactivated in caches and no one reports finding those either.

Of the trackables I've released, 4 have gone missing so far (though luckily no coins yet - and all future ones I do release will probably be copies).

The first trackable I ever released went missing in England from it's second cache, supposedly being passed on to another cacher. And 3 in Switzerland - one today from a muggled cache, and 2 others both at the same time in the first cache I put them in (by people who wrote in the logbook but didn't log online). And the 3 in Switzerland all had info attached to them.

For me Scotland has been the worst country with probably every cache I went to having trackables missing. And although I didn't get to many in Italy or Bermuda, quite a lot of trackables there were missing too. France, Switzerland, and England haven't been quite as bad but I still often find lots of trackables missing, so wouldn't really say they are much safer overseas.

Edited by CW88

In my personal experience I've found trackables are safer overseas than in the US.

Mine, too. We've lost coins both at home and abroad, but more at home than abroad. The majority of our coins that we released in Europe are still there and still active, while the majority of the coins we've released in the US have gone missing. Plus we've had coins bounce around Europe for years, then vanish within a month of being brought to the States.

I too have had a lot of coins go missing... including one in Norway. The coin that went missing in Norway was sort of a miracle coin for me. I started the coin (Jeg ønsker å gå til Norge geocoin)here in Minnesota with a mission to go to Norway. Within the first two cachers it was picked up by a man from Belgium who brought it back to Belgium where it was picked up by a Czech who passed it on to a Swede who brought it to Sweden and passed it on to another Swede who brought it to Norway (all in less than three months). It hasn't moved since. :angry: It got stollen (from a cache in a church of all places). One of the Swedish cachers also partially answered the question about coins going missing in Norway and Sweden when he said in his log "I shall guard this coin carefully as I do not want it to be dropped in Stockholm area (coin thief acting here, sadly)".

Edited by Troutonthebrain

Seems that one must accept a few lost coins in order to watch them travel. We've had coins disappear for months and months. Suddenly, someone discovers the coin in their gear and drops it off. The coin wasn't stolen, just forgotten. Right now we have about 20 coins in circulation. One has been moving around the UK for about a year. We met glossop in Key West last winter and gave him the coin to drop off in England after we dropped it in Key West to get it started. Another coin that hasn't moved since last July, Wigoweb's Signal Geocoin (04/2006), has logged more than 53,000 miles. We're hoping that it shows up again sometime. Even though we have "lost" several coins, we plan to release more as we enjoy watching their travels.