Geocaching Responsibly

If you guys won't kowtow to the incomplete list of rules I've scrounged up on my dodgy website, I'm going to quit geocaching altogether. You're just a bunch of law-breaking trolls! P.S. Mom says my website is nice, so there.

Do you think you might be able to tone it down just a bit, Narcissa? Your diatribes in this thread have been way over the top, if you ask me. The guy isn't at war with you, for Pete's sake. You should be able to disagree without getting nasty.

The entire thing is an embarassing mess and I'm not sorry he's packed it up. Intentionally misleading unsuspecting geocachers with incomplete information is far nastier than anything that's been said in this thread... not to mention the setbacks he may have caused with his barely-coherent, intentionally inflammatory rambling to various land authorities. If I look like an internet meanie for saying what I think about his actions and his website, oh well.

So, do you believe that the rest of us have been less than honest because we tried to use a bit of tact?

I have no criticism about the way others have chosen to express their views on the issue, and I certainly haven't framed my responses as more "honest" than anybody else.

It's clear that he was unwilling to listen to anybody, and that he was determined to view comments as hostile whether they were hostile or not.

I wonder how long before this guy's mom/grandma/wife/girlfriend comes in to explain that he has [insert list of mental disorders here] and we all need to let him run rampant because he can't help himself.

How is this not hostile?

It is hostile.

However, he labelled many comments as hostile that weren't.

When I began creating the website Geocache - Responsibly (www.geocacheresponsibly.info) I wanted to show that there were laws governing the activity of geocaching that were not being obeyed. Since the websites creation I have taken flak for expressing an interest opposing the normal thinking of Geocachers. In my attempts to redesign my website to accommodate valid suggestions offered by several forum members I have taken multiple attacks against my views and person. After only three months and this now 7 page thread I have come to the conclusion that the activity know as geocaching is not worth my time, money or energy.

The website Geocache – Responsibly will be removed. Good luck and continued growth with the activity of geocaching.

Bradley Henley

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

It has a very "if you don't like listening to me fine, I'll take my ball and go home" feel to it, and it also blames others for his lack of fun, which gets him some points. But there just wasn't enough explosive anger and shots to specific people to really make this a quality geocide.

I give it about a 4.

I felt that this was a very responsible Geocide, as Geocides go. The OP has archived all of his caches, including a pending CITO Event (serves us right!). An ex-co-cacher even posted a note in the CITO forum in BIG RED LETTERS that the trash will no longer be picked up because some people here expressed honest opinions.

I am still waiting for evidence that I posted as a troll, however, so I will hold off on rating this until I see how that goes.

I felt that this was a very responsible Geocide, as Geocides go. The OP has archived all of his caches, including a pending CITO Event (serves us right!). An ex-co-cacher even posted a note in the CITO forum in BIG RED LETTERS that the trash will no longer be picked up because some people here expressed honest opinions.

I am still waiting for evidence that I posted as a troll, however, so I will hold off on rating this until I see how that goes.

Both Bradley and I are members of Angelina Beautiful Clean. Last years event was featured on the Local News (ABC), front page of the Lufkin Daily News, and on 9 radio stations in East Texas. We picked up over 30 bags of trash along the 2 mile trail. My group, Team Low Tech, hosted last years event. It saddens me that Bradley has decided to cancel the event this year. Regardless, Team Low Tech and Angelina Beautiful Clean will be cleaning up trash along the Azalea Trail on April 2nd as part of the Texas Trash Off. Many of the people who were planning on attending the event this year are from Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and Oklahoma. I wanted to let all of them, and anyone else who saw the forum post know that the event has been canceled, thus the post in red. ;-)

-ygo2slow

Team Low Tech - 936

http://web.me.com/ygo2slow

"Cache the Planet"

The crayon is purple.

Both Bradley and I are members of Angelina Beautiful Clean. Last years event was featured on the Local News (ABC), front page of the Lufkin Daily News, and on 9 radio stations in East Texas. We picked up over 30 bags of trash along the 2 mile trail. My group, Team Low Tech, hosted last years event. It saddens me that Bradley has decided to cancel the event this year. Regardless, Team Low Tech and Angelina Beautiful Clean will be cleaning up trash along the Azalea Trail on April 2nd as part of the Texas Trash Off. Many of the people who were planning on attending the event this year are from Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and Oklahoma. I wanted to let all of them, and anyone else who saw the forum post know that the event has been canceled, thus the post in red. ;-)

-ygo2slow

Team Low Tech - 936

http://web.me.com/ygo2slow

"Cache the Planet"

I asked you to post evidence that I have posted like a troll. If you are going to call me one, I would sure like to know why. I started this thread for one reason... your buddy was about to derail another thread with his agenda. I felt that his agenda was, although perhaps flawed in reasoning, good enough that is shouldn't be lost in a thread derailment. So I brought it over here. "Gee, thanks, Knowschad". My approach throughout this thread has been similar... trying to stress that I thought the intentions were good, but the delivery was alienating, something that has been stressed by MANY other posters, and yet the two of you seem to have totally ignored that point.

Now, I will ask you once more... WHERE HAVE I POSTED AS A TROLL? And if you can't find such evidence, be man enough to apologize.

As to you and Bradley cancelling your CITO event... yeah...that's responsible caching. Because you didn't like the response you received here, you decided to not clean up the environment. Commitment to a belief at its finest. Kudos.

I rate it as unrated. There was no geocide threat, just the quite act of geocide. How can that be rated? To me the whole thing is a sad episode, a motivated individual concerned by what he saw as something wrong but yet at the same time was not willing to step back and take stock that perhaps the position taken was not completely correct and certainly not universal given the feedback. And what is still left hanging is the act of geocide the final act of frustration or is it because the realization came that the position was not completely correct and it was the only honorable thing to do.

I rate it as unrated. There was no geocide threat, just the quite act of geocide. How can that be rated? To me the whole thing is a sad episode, a motivated individual concerned by what he saw as something wrong but yet at the same time was not willing to step back and take stock that perhaps the position taken was not completely correct and certainly not universal given the feedback. And what is still left hanging is the act of geocide the final act of frustration or is it because the realization came that the position was not completely correct and it was the only honorable thing to do.

Yeah, I think a big part of the problem is that we, the forum "regulars", get seen as an entity, rather than as individuals. That thinking has a couple of results. One of them is that I (in this case) get rolled up in the whole mess as a "troll", even though I haven't made a single post that fits the definition. But more importantly is that the entire message of the "regulars" gets discounted as though it were the opinion of one person. I really don't believe that the OP honestly understood that a dozen people were essentially trying to send him the same message. Instead, I suspect it felt more like one person trying dozens of times to give him the same message. Tough to ignore a dozen opinions, but easy to think that a single entity is just being difficult.

No, it isn't. Not until ygo2slow says why he thinks that I am the troll, and not he. Please don't try to get this thread closed down by off-topic posts yet. I want to finish this.

I believe this web page might help you if you're waiting for something coherent from either of them.

Those of us who actually read through the thread will know that in no way was any of your posts in this thread trollish, and in fact tried to defend the ex-geocacher from some of the personal attacks.

Is it time to start talking about our cats yet??

No, it isn't. Not until ygo2slow says why he thinks that I am the troll, and not he. Please don't try to get this thread closed down by off-topic posts yet. I want to finish this.

If you are interested in a private discussion with another member, send them an email or PM.

If you feel that someone's post violates the forum guidelines, say so and move on, or report it for consideration by the moderating team.

It saddens me that Bradley has decided to cancel the event this year. Regardless, Team Low Tech and Angelina Beautiful Clean will be cleaning up trash along the Azalea Trail on April 2nd as part of the Texas Trash Off. Many of the people who were planning on attending the event this year are from Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and Oklahoma.
FWIW, there is still time for someone else to create another CITO event for April 2nd.

Is it time to start talking about our cats yet??

If you are interested in a private discussion with another member, send them an email or PM.

If you feel that someone's post violates the forum guidelines, say so and move on, or report it for consideration by the moderating team.

I was waiting for a public explanation of a public and personal accusation. Or, more likely, I was trying to point out what I suspected... that an explanation or apology was not going to be given. I think my point has been made. You may close this thread when ready.

It saddens me that Bradley has decided to cancel the event this year.

Have you talked with Bradley about his petulance? His childish response to reasonable critique, (Since you guys haven't heaped adoration upon me, I'll take my ball and go home), has, more than any other single thing, revealed that his agenda is more of a Jihad than a conscious effort to inform and educate. I think it's awesome that you still care about the environment, even though Bradley obviously does not. Are you going to pick up where he dropped the ball and submit a new CITO listing to replace the archived one?

Edit to add: IBTL

Edited by Clan Riffster

Are you going to pick up where he dropped the ball and submit a new CITO listing to replace the archived one?

Edit to add: IBTL

Of course ygo2slow has no responsibility for the OP's actions, but it would nice if he, or somebody else, would replace the CITO event.

Responsible geocaching is more than following the laws, it's also following through on your responsibilities as a cache owner. In this case, following through on a commitment to the geocachers who were planning to participate in the event. Perhaps, if not ygo2slow, then some other responsible individual in the area will step up to the plate?

IBTL - because all the cool kids are doing it.

First of all, Knower of Chad, c'mon, you know you're not a troll. How many threads have you seen around here where someone refers to most of the participants as trolls? I'd just forget about Brad and his caching partner referring to you as one.

So how many people did that make that narcissa has driven to geocide? :)

Oh, that is a good question. Maybe we should start a challenge cache in her honor. :rolleyes:

Holy Cow! Has there been more than one? There was just a good Geocide in my area (didn't know the guy) Changed username, Deleted about 1,000 finds and 38 hides. Even went all Dave Ulmer on us, and changed the names of some of the caches to "Archived" before archiving. So no, I don't Narcissa caused it. Statistics show that most Geocides occur in the few weeks proceeding Spring. IBTL.

This looks like a great place to mention something that I just learned about, although apparently it has been around for some time now... the Geocaching.com Wiki,

The Groundspeak Reviewers are slowly filling up this space with the regional land policies. We just got started so be on the look-out for additional content.

Still needs info on Texas, folks!

This looks like a great place to mention something that I just learned about, although apparently it has been around for some time now... the Geocaching.com Wiki,

The Groundspeak Reviewers are slowly filling up this space with the regional land policies. We just got started so be on the look-out for additional content.

Still needs info on Texas, folks!

Cool. I didn't realize that they had created a wiki either. I see that they're using Confluence (wiki software from Atlassian). Several years ago I was very actively engaged with an open source organization that was looking at replacing some of their static documentation with a wiki and they decided on Confluence. After using it a bit I recommended that we buy a license for it for developers in my department. We ended up getting an unlimited user license as we thought that others in the library where I work and the college it supports might want to use it. About two months later we opened up to the rest of the university library and within a month we had 40 something "spaces" (basically subject areas) and over 1000 pages created. Based on it's success he central IT department at the university launched an enterprise wide instance of the wiki and now is probably one of the most actively uses services supported by the central IT department for the university. Groundspeak did right in selecting Confluence for a wiki. It'll be interesting to see if they take advantage of the open API architecture and dynamically create wiki content from data out of their databases. That's something I've done quite a bit with the instance I work with and it works quite well.