Geocaching Responsibly

Hello,

I am a Geocacher in the State of Texas. I have been debating the existence of laws governing the placement of geocaches.

I have created a website (www.geocacheresponsibly.info). After the creation of the website there was a forum thread on www.geocaching.com created to talk about several aspects of the website and information included.

I would like to know the policy by the U.S. Forest Service on the activity of geocaching. Also, I would like to know the current policy and/or law(s) (including links if available) pertaining to the activity of geocaching?

Will you please reply with your response to my e-mail address bradleyhenley@yahoo.com?

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

Dude, you should go have a crack at his website too. He needs a hand I think.

Hello,

I am a Geocacher in the State of Texas. I have been debating the existence of laws governing the placement of geocaches.

I have created a website (www.geocacheresponsibly.info). After the creation of the website there was a forum thread on www.geocaching.com created to talk about several aspects of the website and information included.

I would like to know the policy by the U.S. Forest Service on the activity of geocaching. Also, I would like to know the current policy and/or law(s) (including links if available) pertaining to the activity of geocaching?

Will you please reply with your response to my e-mail address bradleyhenley@yahoo.com?

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

Yup that is all that needs asked.

Sorry, lost me at swag.
SWAG stands for:

S-stuff

W-we

A-all

G-get

...I'm pretty sure that's an artificial acronym, kinda like saying "NOT" stands for:

N-negative

O-on

T-that

As I am new to the forum I did not know if narcissa knew of what I was speaking of. So I explained myself as to the meaning as it was used in the website.
Here lies the crux of the problem. Despite being not only new to the forums but relatively new to geocaching, (Caching since Tuesday, November 24, 2009? I've been caching a couple years longer and I'm still a noob compared to many.) you've decided you need to inform everyone of some pretty basic info, AND your info isn't exactly correct.

You assume narcissa doesn't know what swag means, and you incorrectly inform them.

You assume the community doesn't know what rules & laws are, and you incorrectly inform them.

Hang out. Cache. Learn from others. Only then should you consider the possibility of putting together a group of cachers to develop a rules website.

When you do decide to become such a clearinghouse, you might do well to consider what liability you are putting yourself under by making it look like your site is the ultimate source for laws and regulations. There's a reason Groundspeak hasn't put together such a public database.

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

The original posting was in response to Clan Riffster who provided an official link to a revision of NFS policy.

The wording of the 2006 policy stated activities that were classified under “treasure hunting” policy.

The wording on the 2007 revision classified activities that were not considered "treasure hunting".

Clan Riffster's stated that because the activity of geocaching was not mentioned, the policy no longer regards the activity of geocaching.

My statement was the revision stated what activities were not considered as “treasure hunting”.

Being that neither Clan Riffster nor myself can agree on the meaning to the revision due to the rewording.

I contacted the government administration who created the revision asking for a final determination on the current policy on the activity of geocaching.

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

The original posting was in response to Clan Riffster who provided an official link to a revision of NFS policy.

The wording of the 2006 policy stated activities that were classified under “treasure hunting” policy.

The wording on the 2007 revision classified activities that were not considered "treasure hunting".

Clan Riffster's stated that because the activity of geocaching was not mentioned, the policy no longer regards the activity of geocaching.

My statement was the revision stated what activities were not considered as “treasure hunting”.

Being that neither Clan Riffster nor myself can agree on the meaning to the revision due to the rewording.

I contacted the government administration who created the revision asking for a final determination on the current policy on the activity of geocaching.

I think all that was well understood. However knowschad revision is still the correct and only neccesary wording.

Sorry, lost me at swag.
SWAG stands for:

S-stuff

W-we

A-all

G-get

...I'm pretty sure that's an artificial acronym, kinda like saying "NOT" stands for:

N-negative

O-on

T-that

As I am new to the forum I did not know if narcissa knew of what I was speaking of. So I explained myself as to the meaning as it was used in the website.
Here lies the crux of the problem. Despite being not only new to the forums but relatively new to geocaching, (Caching since Tuesday, November 24, 2009? I've been caching a couple years longer and I'm still a noob compared to many.) you've decided you need to inform everyone of some pretty basic info, AND your info isn't exactly correct.

You assume narcissa doesn't know what swag means, and you incorrectly inform them.

You assume the community doesn't know what rules & laws are, and you incorrectly inform them.

Hang out. Cache. Learn from others. Only then should you consider the possibility of putting together a group of cachers to develop a rules website.

When you do decide to become such a clearinghouse, you might do well to consider what liability you are putting yourself under by making it look like your site is the ultimate source for laws and regulations. There's a reason Groundspeak hasn't put together such a public database.

Nice. This I think is one of the best posts on this thread, and a suggestion I think the OP needs to take to heart. Get some others involved in this, especially some more experienced cachers, get their take on it, get their help. It will help give you credibility, and some constructive criticism and ideas from people you trust. Also, I see some criticism of your sites actual layout on here. I would suggest hiring an actual web designer or web developer who can help you, which will also get your site more credibility.

And yes, in the meantime gain some more experience, go to events, talk to people, take notes, put your info together, have others that you trust review it, and then when you're ALL READY present it to the public, I guarantee you'll get a much better response.

Nice. This I think is one of the best posts on this thread, and a suggestion I think the OP needs to take to heart. Get some others involved in this, especially some more experienced cachers, get their take on it, get their help. It will help give you credibility, and some constructive criticism and ideas from people you trust. Also, I see some criticism of your sites actual layout on here. I would suggest hiring an actual web designer or web developer who can help you, which will also get your site more credibility.

And yes, in the meantime gain some more experience, go to events, talk to people, take notes, put your info together, have others that you trust review it, and then when you're ALL READY present it to the public, I guarantee you'll get a much better response.

The entire reason I have be reading and replying to post on this thread was to get feedback as I have state multiple times.

I have updated my website many times adding and removing items by suggestions on this thread and the now former Facebook page.

Strangely there seems to be fellow geocachers on this thread who only want to continually redirect from the existence and disregard of the law(s) to my personal views, or to discredit me all together.

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

And the answer to that simplified question is that geocaching policy for the United States Forest Service is decided at the regional or unit level. The rules applicable to a National Forest in Texas are irrelevant to the rules applicable to the two National Forests in the states where I review caches. For example, visitors to the upcoming Geo-Woodstock in Northwest PA will see many hundreds of geocaches in the Allegheny National Forest. None of the owners paid a fee. None of the owners filled out an application form. Yet each of them is placed in compliance with the Forest's published policy. I hope that visitors enjoy them.

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

And the answer to that simplified question is that geocaching policy for the United States Forest Service is decided at the regional or unit level. The rules applicable to a National Forest in Texas are irrelevant to the rules applicable to the two National Forests in the states where I review caches. For example, visitors to the upcoming Geo-Woodstock in Northwest PA will see many hundreds of geocaches in the Allegheny National Forest. None of the owners paid a fee. None of the owners filled out an application form. Yet each of them is placed in compliance with the Forest's published policy. I hope that visitors enjoy them.

Some of us already knew that and tried to point it out pages ago. At this point I was hoping he would figure it out on his own from them instead of us. ;)

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

The wording of the 2006 policy stated activities that were classified under "treasure hunting" policy.

My statement was the revision stated what activities were not considered as "treasure hunting".

I understand all that. But there is no need to explain that to the U.S. Forest Service. All they care about is that you want to know the current regulations. Period. No need to bring your website, the forums, your your Geocaching-Responsibly objective into an email to them. I feel sorry for the poor desk jocky that has to figure out what it is that you really want from him! :lol:

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

OK, so I un-strikeout the very first sentence.

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

By the way, BradleyHenley, I thought this would be a good place to point out that Keystone, besides being a volunteer moderator, is also a volunteer reviewer. To the best of my knowledge, his jurisdiction does not generally include Texas, and yet he is aware these details. If he is aware of them, do you not think the Texas reviewer is aware of them?

Hello,

Thank You

Bradley Henley

Geocache – Responsibly

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

Simplified it for you.

By the way, BradleyHenley, I thought this would be a good place to point out that Keystone, besides being a volunteer moderator, is also a volunteer reviewer. To the best of my knowledge, his jurisdiction does not generally include Texas, and yet he is aware these details. If he is aware of them, do you not think the Texas reviewer is aware of them?

Logic?? You're attempting to use logic??? It might work on all of us, but...

Here is my version of logic... I think I have figured out what this thread is all about...

I am still happy that in these (now) 6 pages of post I have found several good points pertaining to my website that I promptly revised.

attention perhaps??

Logic?? You're attempting to use logic??? It might work on all of us, but...

Here is my version of logic... I think I have figured out what this thread is all about...

I am still happy that in these (now) 6 pages of post I have found several good points pertaining to my website that I promptly revised.

attention perhaps??

Hey, it took Thomas Edison 1,057 attempts to invent a successful steam boat. Do you really think that Alexander Graham Bell had a the Mona Lisa perfected in the first sitting? No way, my friend. Some things just take perseverance.

:ph34r: Personally after following this thread from the start, i think-no believe that the owner of this website, BradleyHenley, should listen to those around him. These are experienced geocachers, and very knowledgeable ones at that. They know what they are talking about.

I understand your intentions, and believe that they are all good, but you are going about this all wrong. Get your information straight before you post it online. Think of some poor noob who stumbles onto your site and comes up with some wrong information? Make sure its correct and current before posting it. This is for the benefit of your credibility, and for the benefit of anyone relying on your information. This really concerns me.

Good luck with your site, as long as the information is correct and current.

Hey, it took Thomas Edison 1,057 attempts to invent a successful steam boat. Do you really think that Alexander Graham Bell had a the Mona Lisa perfected in the first sitting? No way, my friend. Some things just take perseverance.
C'mon now.

Everyone knows that Ben Franklin painted the Mona Lisa after he konked his head on the wheel of his steam boat prototype!

Sheesh.... :rolleyes:

Hey, it took Thomas Edison 1,057 attempts to paint the Last Supper invent a successful steam boat. Do you really think that Alexander Graham Bell Ben Franklin had a the Mona Lisa steam boat perfected in the first sitting? No way, my friend. Some things just take perseverance and a good head-konking.
C'mon now.

Everyone knows that Ben Franklin painted the Mona Lisa after he konked his head on the wheel of his steam boat prototype!

I've edited my post to reflect all of your criticisms. Are you happy now?

Hey, it took Thomas Edison 1,057 attempts to paint the Last Supper invent a successful steam boat. Do you really think that Alexander Graham Bell Ben Franklin had a the Mona Lisa steam boat perfected in the first sitting? No way, my friend. Some things just take perseverance and a good head-konking.
C'mon now.

Little known fact: Shortly after Edison completed the Last Supper, he decided to share with his friends that he'd been eating "those funny little mushrooms" that he found growing outside his studio. So, thanks to good old Tom for not only a masterpiece, but for a controlled substance. . .

Say, when did you change your avatar to my new travel bug?

3b81f457-26e7-41e4-baaf-0621b2e2edba.jpg

C'mon now.

Little known fact: Shortly after Edison completed the Last Supper, he decided to share with his friends that he'd been eating "those funny little mushrooms" that he found growing outside his studio. So, thanks to good old Tom for not only a masterpiece, but for a controlled substance. . .

Say, when did you change your avatar to my new travel bug?

3b81f457-26e7-41e4-baaf-0621b2e2edba.jpg

Irresponsibly going off-topic for a second... are you serious? New pub? Lab? Boy/girl? Name? Phone number (if a girl)?

OK, back OT.

Even with the other rambling taken out, it's kind of a mess. "I would like to know the policy by the U.S. Forest Service on the activity of geocaching." Ugh! Unnecessary passive voice construction and clumsy word choices! Try this:

I would like to know the U.S. Forest Service's policy on geocaching.

Here's the bigger problem, bradley - you have no research capability, no web design skills, and an elementary school literacy level. Your attempts to communicate with land management authorities are more likely to do harm than good.

There is a case to be made for the geocaching situation in Texas, but your tattle-tale / nanny approach and your hit-or-miss Google "research" isn't leading you in the right direction at all.

As I read these posts I am again reminded why history repeats itself.

The majority of the “forum trolls” (from ygo2slow) on this thread prefers to attack my personal views and attempt to discredit my person. Because they cannot or will not accept that there are laws they themselves do not obey.

When I began creating the website Geocache - Responsibly (www.geocacheresponsibly.info) I wanted to show that there were laws governing the activity of geocaching that were not being obeyed. Since the websites creation I have taken flak for expressing an interest opposing the normal thinking of Geocachers. In my attempts to redesign my website to accommodate valid suggestions offered by several forum members I have taken multiple attacks against my views and person. After only three months and this now 7 page thread I have come to the conclusion that the activity know as geocaching is not worth my time, money or energy.

The website Geocache – Responsibly will be removed. Good luck and continued growth with the activity of geocaching.

Bradley Henley

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

The majority of the “forum trolls” (from ygo2slow) on this thread prefers to attack my personal views and attempt to discredit my person. Because they cannot or will not accept that there are laws they themselves do not obey.

Wait a minute...did he just call his caching partner a "forum troll"? :unsure:

Wait a minute...did he just call his caching partner a "forum troll"? :unsure:

I believe bradleyhenley was just giving credit to ygo2slow for introducing that expression to this discussion.

Some of the negative comments have been a little too personal for my taste. But if you believe that they've been doing it because the don't want to obey the law...that's a bit insane.

Nobody has been arguing that the law shouldn't be followed, they've argued that there are issues with tone, content, and accuracy.

I suspect that a website that is positive in tone with accurate, complete and easy to navigate would be well received. It also wouldn't have much impact as rule breakers aren't going to read such a website or change their behavior if they did. Sad but true.

The majority of the "forum trolls" (from ygo2slow) on this thread prefers to attack my personal views and attempt to discredit my person. Because they cannot or will not accept that there are laws they themselves do not obey.

You and ygo2slow need to research the correct meaning of "troll". You have both misused it in this post.

When I began creating the website Geocache - Responsibly (www.geocacheresponsibly.info) I wanted to show that there were laws governing the activity of geocaching that were not being obeyed. Since the websites creation I have taken flak for expressing an interest opposing the normal thinking of Geocachers. In my attempts to redesign my website to accommodate valid suggestions offered by several forum members I have taken multiple attacks against my views and person. After only three months and this now 7 page thread I have come to the conclusion that the activity know as geocaching is not worth my time, money or energy.

The website Geocache – Responsibly will be removed. Good luck and continued growth with the activity of geocaching.

Bradley Henley

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

First of all, you have refused to see why those criticisms have been given. When you have made changes, they have merely been changes in content, and not in concept. I've seen person after person give you concept advice that you have repelled like water from a duck's back. Have you stopped once to ask yourself "why" all this criticism? Remember, those that have posted are not some sort of united front out to get you... we are fellow geocachers from all over the world.

Second... why would you let this get you to leave geocaching? Have you confused forums and web-site writing with geocaching?

Bradley Henley

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

AS promised! You people are just blue meanies :tongue:

the-chief-blue-meanie1.jpg

Edited by sabrefan7
C'mon now.

"snort" YOU left out the pertinent part about him arriving at this epiphany after being struck by lightning while entangled in the Steamboat wheel. Geez... some people just gloss over the facts.

Maybe its just a flashback to earlier times, but somehow reading this thread makes Cartman come to mind..."____ you guys, I'm goin' home".

Edited by NeecesandNephews

If you guys won't kowtow to the incomplete list of rules I've scrounged up on my dodgy website, I'm going to quit geocaching altogether. You're just a bunch of law-breaking trolls! P.S. Mom says my website is nice, so there.

Do you think you might be able to tone it down just a bit, Narcissa? Your diatribes in this thread have been way over the top, if you ask me. The guy isn't at war with you, for Pete's sake. You should be able to disagree without getting nasty.

If you guys won't kowtow to the incomplete list of rules I've scrounged up on my dodgy website, I'm going to quit geocaching altogether. You're just a bunch of law-breaking trolls! P.S. Mom says my website is nice, so there.

Do you think you might be able to tone it down just a bit, Narcissa? Your diatribes in this thread have been way over the top, if you ask me. The guy isn't at war with you, for Pete's sake. You should be able to disagree without getting nasty.

The entire thing is an embarassing mess and I'm not sorry he's packed it up. Intentionally misleading unsuspecting geocachers with incomplete information is far nastier than anything that's been said in this thread... not to mention the setbacks he may have caused with his barely-coherent, intentionally inflammatory rambling to various land authorities. If I look like an internet meanie for saying what I think about his actions and his website, oh well.

Say, when did you change your avatar to my new travel bug? 3b81f457-26e7-41e4-baaf-0621b2e2edba.jpg
Irresponsibly going off-topic for a second... are you serious? New pub? Lab? Boy/girl? Name? Phone number (if a girl)?

OK, back OT.

Of course I'm serious, I might joke about many things, but not about puppies. Gus is a male Yellow Lab pup, now 4 1/2 months old (the pic is from before he came home to us. There's a more recent one on his TB page). He arrived with us about a week before Christmas, on my Birthday (although that's only because the vet cleared his litter to leave mom about a week early). He already gets excited when we find a geocache (took him caching yesterday, I should be logging those finds rather than posting here...) and shows a definite disinterest in micros. :ph34r: If you have some sort of photo enhancing software like they use on those alphabet-titled-crime-solving TV shows, you might be able to get the phone number off the tag he's wearing.

Back to the topic at hand:

After only three months and this now 7 page thread I have come to the conclusion that the activity know as geocaching is not worth my time, money or energy.

That's a shame. I hope that you can continue to enjoy caching, despite your stated displeasure. I've only met one person from these forums that I had a major disagreement with so far, and we had a great time.

The majority of the "forum trolls" (from ygo2slow) on this thread prefers to attack my personal views and attempt to discredit my person. Because they cannot or will not accept that there are laws they themselves do not obey.

You and ygo2slow need to research the correct meaning of "troll". You have both misused it in this post.

Definition of a Troll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

And this response coming from a person who has more forum post then finds! 10,000+ to my 33 (Including this post). You all are sad, Why is it always the same group of trolls constantly talking crap on this forum?

It's a very important thing to remember: participating in the forums isn't the same as participating in geocaching.

It's interesting that some folks have suggested that Bradley should go to some events, and meet up with more experienced cachers. Seems like he had done all that, already.

In fact...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2M1KY

This will be the second year ygo2slow and I have hosted a local CITO event to bring awareness to the growing concern of littering among our natural resources.

But now:

March 13 by bradleyhenley (167 found)

The Azalea Trail CITO 2011 is cancelled.

I am sorry for anyone who has created plans to attend.

Please remove any trackables that you have placed for this event.

Bradley Henley

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

It's a very important thing to remember: participating in the forums isn't the same as participating in geocaching.

It's interesting that some folks have suggested that Bradley should go to some events, and meet up with more experienced cachers. Seems like he had done all that, already.

In fact...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2M1KY

This will be the second year ygo2slow and I have hosted a local CITO event to bring awareness to the growing concern of littering among our natural resources.

But now:

March 13 by bradleyhenley (167 found)

The Azalea Trail CITO 2011 is cancelled.

I am sorry for anyone who has created plans to attend.

Please remove any trackables that you have placed for this event.

Bradley Henley

bradleyhenley@yahoo.com

That's because he committed geocide. Didn't even fill out the required form RK-666. So much for obeying laws.

The entire thing is an embarassing mess and I'm not sorry he's packed it up. Intentionally misleading unsuspecting geocachers with incomplete information is far nastier than anything that's been said in this thread... not to mention the setbacks he may have caused with his barely-coherent, intentionally inflammatory rambling to various land authorities. If I look like an internet meanie for saying what I think about his actions and his website, oh well.

So, do you believe that the rest of us have been less than honest because we tried to use a bit of tact?

Too bad there wasn't someone else to pick up the ball, and keep the CITO event alive.
Hopefully someone will. Seems a real shame to leave the organization they're working with on this in the lurch.

Not to mention whoever donated the Premium Membership and the geocoins that are the stated prizes. . .

Definition of a Troll: http://en.wikipedia....Troll_(Internet)

And this response coming from a person who has more forum post then finds! 10,000+ to my 33 (Including this post). You all are sad, Why is it always the same group of trolls constantly talking crap on this forum?

Please point to one single post that I have made in this thread that you consider to be trollish or "crap". And the number of forum posts a person has made has no bearing on whether or not their posts are trollish.

Edit to add the linked to definition of a troll:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Edited by knowschad

This forum topic should be Locked. The site that it was referring to has been deleted and the community is getting nowhere from the constant rambling and feeding of the trolls.

TEAM LOW TECH - 936

http://web.me.com/ygo2slow

"Cache the Planet"

As the one who started this thread, I will honor this request and ask that the thread be locked. But I hope that ygo2slow (or anyone else) will post what he feels is at least one "trollish" post by me before it is locked.