COINTEST: Show me your logs!

Fiery Searcher

Show me your logs!

writing.jpg

I haven't held a cointest in a while, and I thought I would start March off in a generous mode.

I've been reading a lot in the forums lately about all facets of geocaching. One topic of discussion that I really enjoy is what makes a good log? With the increasing use of smartphone apps, it seems more and more people can get away with logs that say simply: "Logged from my ____insert phone here____."

The beauty of the "what makes a good log" question is that it is SO subjective! "Good log" means different things to different people. Some folks like length, some folks like humor, some like photos, ... and the list goes on and on. In fact, we might be able to get a better concensus on what makes a bad log, but I'm trying to maintain a positive outlook in 2011.

Soooooo.....let's make a cointest!

To enter:

Give me an example of your BEST log that you've written on geocaching.com

Rules for acceptable logs:

1. The log must have been written on or before 28 February 2011. (Honor system here, folks)

2. The log must be for a geocache, and can be EITHER a "Found It," a "Didn't Find It," or a "Writes Note."

Rules for Entries:

1. One entry per person, so choose wisely.

The winner will be chosen by me and will choose their own prize: ONE of the following unactivated and trackable coins:

5489577544_84c5b7eb64_b.jpg

You can email your log to me through my geocaching.com profile OR you may also post the link to your log here in the forums: the choice is yours. To avoid any confusion, please specify your geocaching nickname, the geocache number, the geocache name, the date which your log occurred, and if there are any supporting photos that you want considered with your log. NOTE: photos are NOT required for a good log and will not necessarily give you "brownie points" with the judge.

Contest begins RIGHT NOW! Submissions will be accepted until MIDNIGHT, my time, 7 March 2011. I'll announce the winner on Tuesday morning, 8 March 2011.

I think I've covered all the details, but if I've left something out OR you have questions, please let me know via email or here in the forums.

letter_writi_24714_lg.jpg

Show me your logs!

Too bad that the log about me checking all corners of the Bulgarian embassy swimming pool for a Christmas cache is in Norwegian. :lol:

It was a mystery where I had to quite a few interesting calculations, one involving the world record of a particular skater of a particular year. I quickly grabbed the record off the web, never checking if he might have set more than one record that year...

When I read the rules I immediately thought of two logs I had written a couple ofyears ago. Now to decide which to post. I hope that people choose to post their logs here. I LOVE reading them!!!!

Mamoreb---copy the original log and then translate it for us!! Of course if that's the one you decide to enter

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?IID=6f40a0b8-3155-41d0-82de-ce2c4435d2b8&LID=4182025

Justin has always liked t-shirts with funny sayings on them. This log has a photo of him in a t-shirt that was never more INAPPROPRIATE for geocaching.

It still makes me chuckle every time I go back thru my gallery and look at it.

:laughing:

It was a great multi-geocache to find too. It's a shame, it appears to have been stolen and archived a long time ago. We had a cache thief in the area back in those days. Love those ammo cans, especially when someone takes the time to paint over the original markings. Got to be safe.

(edit)

Sorry, I forgot..........

number GCJ449

name "Tag" Your it.

Either the name is misspelled or I have yet to figure out where to tag my "it".

:blink:

Edited by slowdownracer

This will be my official entry... but it was hard to choose!

This log was left for Gnarly Birch - GCRY70

May 8, 2008 by E&Cplus3 (1302 found)

This one was fairly easy to find, with barely any bushwacking. I started at the Burger King and just moved from clearing to clearing along the BMX trails.

My adventure didn't start until AFTER I had found this cache and decided to try another - the Bayer's Lake Travel Bug / Geocoin Hotel. I didn't see any trail heading in the right direction, but I did notice some trail tape about 40 feet into the woods. I thought I could make out another a little beyond that. Great! I thought. Somebody else had the same idea and marked the trail for me!

Well, there was no trail. Just a meandering string of trail tape markers that lead steeply downhill into boggy wetness! After thoroughly soaking both feet, scratching my way through dense underbrush, and snagging every article of clothing at least once, I found myself at the edge of a clearing!

In the clearing there was an odd green dome that just didn't make sense to my brain. It wasn't until I actually stepped out of the trees that I realized that it was a tent. At the same time, a woman dressed only in her undies crawled out from inside! Being careful to maintain polite eye contact, I said 'good afternoon' and walked straight across the clearing and into the woods on the other side (still following the cursed trail tape!) I think the woman was too surprised at my appearance from the trees to even react!

I finally made my way to the TB Hotel and was stretching to climb the pile of boulders when I realized that the crotch of my jeans had ripped -- a good six inch long tear! I started to wonder when I had done that, and whether it had contributed to the camper's silence!

To top off the whole adventure, when I reached the cache, I realized that the location looked awfully familiar! Turns out I had done this one last Fall, approaching from the Kent parking lot and just never cleared the waypoint from my GPS! And there weren't even any geocoins in the cache!!

So, to whoever left the trail tape: a pox on you! And to everyone else: stick to the BMX trails!

Here is my runner-up log. ;)

Rushing Water - GC1CJDP

Because I love to read the adventures of others, I tend to write a lot (maybe too much?) in the logs of those caches that provide a good experience or adventure. I am providing a link to one of my favorites, although it may not qualify for the cointest because I ran out of characters, so the log is 2 parts - a "find" and a "write note". Even if it doesnt qualify for the cointest, I figured I would share it in the spirit of the thread. ;)

Return to Tradition #9: Woronoco Dragon

September 4, 2010

Thanks for the cointest. I am looking forward to reading the logs that people post.

:blink: You mean I got to go back through all my logs and find just one?! :blink:

Ok, This one is one of my favorites. A good cache or good experience deserves a good log, and this one needed an additional note to tell the whole story!

It was for GC2774N Dark Journey: Hunt for the Necronomicon which I (Six Little Spookies) found on November 26, 2010.

Bend your ear this way and I shall tell you the tale of the madness Six Little Spookies encountered south of Double Trouble, a fitting appelation.

It was about 10:30 when Spooky 3 and I began our Dark Journey. Spooky 2 stayed behind with the rest of the crew at the parking area, and 3 and I set off in pursuit of the Necronomicon. The paths were clear and the night was cold. Spooky 3 thought the trek was all over when we reached the creek and that we’d have to turn back, but no, off came my socks and shoes and in I went! The water was clear and only ankle deep, so she reluctantly followed. After redonning our footwear we continued.

We arrived at the start point, and the first container showed itself. We unrolled the parchment and copied the secret coordinates into our Magellan. On we went. The woods were silent except for the crackles we made moving through the underbrush. As we closed in on the coords for the second stage, the trail petered out and we were forced to bushwhack until we discovered the trail we should have taken in the first place. It led us on, but we missed the marker for the second stage. Was something messing with us as we went through the woods? How long had we been out here anyway? We doubled back, and dove off into the brush. Once again we found the cache in minutes, but this time retrieval was not so easy. Spooky 3 laughed as I played botanical proctologist for about 10 minutes.

Stage 2 in hand, we carefully copied the next set of secret coords.

And then... A shot rang out! Spooky 3 jumped, "What was that!" she said. I assured her it was just someone target shooting or something and it was a long way off. With a slightly jumpier 3 in trail, we set off in search of the 3rd stage.

The woods were working against us. The trail was barely visible, and would fade out behind trees and shadows, and a thin haze had moved into the forest. To make matters more unnerving, the gunshots continued, one every 15-20 minutes. Getting closer...

Our coords began swinging as we approached the 3rd stage GZ, and we couldn't get any closer than 40 feet. Something was definitely trying to keep us away from the Necronomicon. As we circled around, no orange showed itself, but eventually we spotted 2 pinpricks of bright light in the beams of our flashlights. Eyes! And there was another pair! This must be the trail! We charged after them. Yes! Although faint, there was a trail here! We were getting close. And then...nothing. After the second pair of eyes we could find no more. We continued down the trail for a good distance, but nothing revealed itself. Midnight was approaching. We had to get this done quickly. We went back to try again to find the third stage. Without its secret coords our journey would be for naught. We began circling again...

...And spotted something we hadn't seen before. The third stage was ours! Victory was in our grasp! We copied the secret coords and double checked them for accuracy. We didn't want to have to return again due to errors of our own making. Especially since the gunshots continued, like clockwork.....getting louder. We followed the same trail we had before, but shortly after passing the last set of eyes we turned off the trail and began wading through the underbrush. We continued on further and the eyes began appearing again. First we saw one pair, then a second. Soon we could see half a dozen shining back at us through the misty blackness. But were they all firetacks? A few of them looked kind of reddish and I could swear I saw one of them blink! The hair on the back of my neck began to prickle.

We arrived at GZ and spotted something slumped between two trees. It was a man! A victim of some unspeakable ritual. Dead. A little way off was another, and another, and in the midst of them all a grisly totem. What madness been committed here?! Suddenly the gunshot thundered again! Much closer than before! It couldn’t have been less than a hundred yards away! Spooky 3 was ready to bolt, but no! We had to find the Book first! We circled through the brush searching, while all around us things rustled through the woods. We could feel a presence closing in, but still no cache! C’mon, it’s an ammo can for goodness sake! Where could it be!

Then, I saw it. The tiniest sliver of a metal corner peeking out of concealment. We had it! The Necronomicon was ours! We rushed to the box and yanked open the latches, only to be thrown back in horror at the unearthly scream that emanated from the cache! No, not the cache, but the book itself! There it lay, bound in human skin, a face on the cover, its mouth open and shrieking! We could not take this with us! These screams of the damned would drive us mad! We would have cast it away and fled at that moment, but if we were not to take it the Book...must...be…signed! I tore open the Book and signed as the piercing wails throbbed in my ears. Our names recorded, I hastily grabbed out a TB (a bit of brain from one of the surrounding victims, no doubt) and left another one in its place (I’d call that Naughty, wouldn’t you?). I did not see the Pot O’Gold coin, but I confess my search may have been hasty. Perhaps it is there after all. Perhaps the demons took it for themselves.

We sealed the cache and rehid it as we found it and only then were the Book’s ungodly screams silenced. It was 5 minutes to midnight. Who knows what sort of unimaginable horrors had been summoned when we disturbed the Book. There was no time to waste. We had to get as far away as we could as fast as we could! We ran off into the darkness, certain that at any moment we would hear footsteps of some monstrosity pursuing after us! Fear gave wings to our feet and the journey back to the van was a blur. I can scarcely recollect removing my shoes to recross the river.

The Book’s gibbering haunted our brains all the way home.

E-mail sent. We have written many stories!

August 21, 2007 by GaryM53 (873 found)

Cache GC152X4 -( you need to read the rules of this cache before the story) We had to write a story to be able to go to the next cache. The last cache led us to the top of a mountain and the prize was a hand made "Bear" geocoin made by Tsunrisebey! The cache was placed by the Ammigo's. We live on the Buffalo Gap Road.

Now the story goes like this. Many years ago the Indians that lived in this area were faced with the worst dry spell in many moons. They knew they had to have rain soon or they would have to move away. Not wanting to move they decided to ask the rain gods for help. They danced around thier camp fires for four nights straight and on the 5th night Rabbit appeared out of nowhere.The Indians all knew of this Rabbit and how tricky he could be. They asked him to join them and explained thier problem. They asked if he could help them and he told them he would under one condition. They asked what that condition was and Rabbit said he wanted to trick Buffalo.Now remember the first part of this story told us how smart Buffalo was and how he could find the sweeteat grass for grazing, and to get sweet grass you need water. We also learned he knew how to avoid being hunted down by Indians. The plan was to hide Indian's in as many places as he could around Buffalo. Rabbit placed them behind stumps, under rocks, up in tree's, and many other places. As soon as everyone was in place Rabbit got things started by runing up to Buffalo and telling him he couldn't catch him. Buffalo said he could but every time he got close to Rabbit an Indian would pop out of nowhere and Buffalo would have to run the other way. It wasn't long before Buffalo decided to head for new territory and headed out of the area. Rabbit and the Indians followed and Buffalo soon lead them between two mountain ranges and into a valley full of sweet grasses and plenty of water. Rabbit's trick had worked.The Indians were so thrilled that they moved thier family's into the valley and danced once more in front of thier camp fires. This time they thanked the almighty "BEAR" gods that they so well respected and asked them to tell the Buffalo they would no longer hunt them for food, but would live next to them in harmony. The "BEAR" gods did just that and told Buffalo that Rabbit was responsible for this miracle. Buffalo was so pleased he asked Rabbit to be his friend and to help him name this new place they had found. The name of this place as we know it today is "Buffalo Gap" near Abilene Texas. The End GaryM53

I'm enjoying reading these. Some great stories.

I had to think about it a bit. This one came to mind along with several others that I took extra care with for one reason or another. Usually the more interesting the cache the harder I work on my logs. But sometimes even an easy one will make a good story and I love to tell a story. Most of the others that I like involve some embilishment in the spirit of the cache. Like the one for The Bloody Mary nightcache, that I even wrote a poem for but that's posted under our team name. Or one that was "Behind the Swamp" But this one is more pure truth. I hope you like it.

GC219QQ</SPAN>

Houston Area Pick 6 Challenge

I made some mistakes on this one. First I sat my water down when we got the stroller out. Joe (Wolf Dancer) had some soda but I wanted to leave that for him and Wolf’s Song since I always seem to think of them as being more fragile. Wolf has a lot of health issues, including diabetes, a bad back and double hip replacements. I sometimes forget that even though he's in constant pain he's still strong as an ox. As we arrived I think I was starting to be effected by the heat. OK so I know I was. They followed thinking they were 1 short (they weren’t) and I took a few sips of the drink as swarms of mosquitoes dive bombed us. I grew up in S Florida and laughed efforts, but a few were breaching Wolf’s Song’s defenses. I told Wolf Dancer to take him and go on without me while I rested in the forest shade next to the cache. It was so peaceful there and I reflected on my day as I enjoyed the calm. My plan was to cool off a bit and catch up. I must have rested longer than I thought, because by the time I came out they were out of sight. I was feeling a bit refreshed and started off at a pretty good clip. I quickly realized that I was really thirsty. By the time I got a little ways down the road I was feeling the heat again. The sun was beating down relentlessly and shade along the path was found in tiny puddles that dripped along the edges of the woods. I sat in one of those enclosures huddled in the meager shade wondering if I was going to be forced to call for help. Mustered my strength and set small goals… The next bench; the bridge; the fork in the road… Crossing a bridge I considered stopping for a dip. I’ve had some basic first aid training and I recognized the signs. I knew that I needed to cool down. I had let myself get over heated that was causing the problems. While the water looked inviting it was not likely to help. It seemed like it took me hours to finish the loop. By the time I hit the trail where it split my slight nausea was full blown. I found a shade puddle and sat again cursing myself for being old and out of shape. I could see the pavilion in the distance and while it would have seemed like a short walk on a cooler day, it seemed almost insurmountable today. But seeing it gave me an idea of how far I actually had left to walk and I knew the car was much closer than it was. Joe had already reached it and moved it to the gate. When I spotted both shimmering in the distance it was like an oasis in the desert, it gave me a burst of strength. That only lasted until about the time I hit the bleachers where I crumpled on to a seat. I saw Joe and Daniel coming to meet me with a cool bottle of water. Daniel wavered when he spotted rocks and wanted to throw more of them into the water. I called to him “bring the water you have a mission to save mama.” My 2 ½ year old is fascinated with missions and outer space, so he quickly headed my way. My heroes! The water was so refreshing. The icy bottle seeped its magic into my pours as I rubbed it over my skin and sipped the life giving liquid. I contemplated the day and watched my family laugh as I exclaimed “you saved me.” I thought about the lessons I’d learned along the paths we’d traveled today. I wondered about my sanity because as exhausted as I was and already struggling to make it back to the car as I passed one of the turn offs for a “room” cache I actually paused and considered going for it. I knew even then that I’d be back to make this loop again. To triumph over the trail. Hopefully by then I’ll be in much better shape from future trips, geocaching or just plain exploring this wonderful world of ours. It was a beautiful hike but I didn’t give it the attention it deserved. I’d love to see it in the fall or early spring when the weather is cool and the sun is not quite so relentless. Even a brisk winter day would have given me strength instead of stealing it from my with every step. Thank you for the challenge.

This is my kind of Cointest. I am already a GeoStalker, and really enjoy reading other peoples logs.

But this is about one of MY logs, so Here you go...

GCX47K

I have wanted to do this cache for along time. Yesterday was the day to do it. I found both stage 1 and 2. I didn't have enough time to complete it so I put it off until today. I got off early today and made my way to stage 3. I parked as close as I could get and made the walk to GZ. As soon as I got there I knew what had to be done. I tried to do it fully dressed but my pant leg went into the water up to the knee, so I decided on a different approach. I stripped down to my chonies and went for it. I found a fishing pole and reeled in a whopper. I wrote the final coords on my arm and headed back to solid ground. I can only imagine what the nearby fisherman was thinking. If only there was someone there with a camera, that picture would have made the GC.com homepage for sure. I put my clothes back on and entered the coords. I knew where I needed to go and made my way there. I got to the parking area and tried to find a way that was dry. That wasn't gonna happen, so I went back down to the chonies and into the water. It was a nice waist deep walk to the island where I was quickly greeted by a huge hissing goose that was protecting his girlfriend and their 2 eggs. I tried not to disturb them but their nest was right at GZ. Thedy were very angry with me so I was having a hard time searching. I had been there about 15 minutes when I heard a voice. I looked up to see the cache owner standing there with a look of amazement. Imagine this...You paddle out to an island to find a half naked man standing there with a GPS in his hand. Very Funny. Definitely my most bazzar encounter while caching. Once he realized it was me he asked if I had found it yet. I said that the geese weren't letting me look really good, so no I haven't. He said he thought it might be missing and pointed to where he hid it. I looked and found it right where he left it. I signed in and took Vinnys Nut and headed back to shore. As I was putting my boots back on I see Brad and Joe(MarshallOD) paddling around the island. We chatted for a bit before the headed back across the water. I jogged back around to my van and ran into Brad and Joe again. We chatted for a little bit more before I had to go.

TYVMFTC

PS. I am the first to complete this without the use of a watercraft.

I don't have any long, thrilling logs from those incredibly difficult caches, but I will enter a short one that is slightly different, and geocoin-related.

Geocaching nickname: mamoreb

Geocache #: GC2HNJW

Geocache name: Huseby Leir

Has photo: Yes

The "write note" log from the cache is Norwegian only:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b02933c5-a445-4cdc-a735-7094330009b7

The geocoin log has a translation:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=7a142b1e-d1ba-40fe-af1b-fbf93bd5bdf2

Some background is relevant:

One of the Norwegian geocaching gurus, Mostly Moose, creates some awesome caches. The coordinates for one of them can only be found on his travel bug "Pastor" (= the minister), which had been missing for 1,5 years. Pastor resurfaced on the day of the log.

The log:

When Ms. Cache Agent (see photo) received news that the celebrity travel bug Pastor had come back from his long exile, she immediately applied for an interview. We were fortunate, and were permitted to meet with him that same evening. It was a very interesting event, where Pastor had no problems sharing his secrets (((bonus cache coords))). Obviously, we won't be allowed to print those... But we did get an excellent photo. At the end, Ms. Cache Agent didn't have the guts to invite Pastor home with us. I'm guessing that's a good thing, since others will surely wish to have a word with him in the near future.

7b78cc2a-a113-4320-8a7d-7f3d7bcfc40c.jpg

What a great contest. Thank you for this.

I enjoy writing logs and I have no patience for those short logs "send from my mobile device".

For me a nice long log and telling my story is a thank you to the owners. Most seem to appreciate it, some don't...

Well, unfortunately I have the same problem as mamoreb, most of my logs are in German.

Anyway, my contest entry would be this log of my 800th find:

Log from Elli at Geology of the South East: A Corrie

We had started way to late in the day for that hike without a proper path, it was just sheeptrails through the heather up a steeeeeeep mountain.

1.1.09, 16.20h

Together with Finnuala and KS-HTK on holidays.

Well, for my 800th cache, it had to be something special!

And it was!

We had a right adventure with this one.

Started out around 3pm, which was way to late in winter! My VW transporter didn't fit under the barrier of the parking lot. I always find those barriers a nuisance! Parked outside, along another bus.

Found a nice path, which I recognized from an earlier visit.

Found a very strange camouflaged mobil phone post, for me as a horticulturist it looked very strange from the distance. Getting closer, I realised why. Is this something military, or are the people by now so hyped up against the towers?

Then didn't follow instructions, but the arrow on my Gecko... Straigt through the thick Picea forest. It was already very dark in there.

Then up the mountain, the sheep looked at us sheepishly, as we were so slow, compared to them.

My worry, that we had to climb all the way to the top was unfounded, still it was quite a hike uphill. Messured the elevation from parking lot at 158m to the highest part of the hike at 398m!

We saw some hikers in the distance, but they probably started out much earlier, they were heading back to the parking lot.

About halfway up the clouds started coming in, we were engulfed by them and walking in cold fog. But the way was so steep, I didn't really feel the cold.

The corrie wasn't easily spotted due to the clouds, but by then, it got dusky as well, so I started worrying, as didn't fancy being on the mountain with two 11 and 13 year old kids in the darkness.

There was really nothing to worry about. I had two torches, a GPSr with parking lot coordinates, spare batteries, everyone had a whistle on them and I had a mobil. There was even some chocolate in my caching bag, so I was well prepared. But still I urged the kids to hurry, as I wanted to be back at the car before total darkness.

Found the cache, some sheep didn't really want us to disturb them. On my pictures there is nothing much to see, it was already too dark. Which is a pitty, cause I remember that area to be very beautifull.

One should start out on a sunny day, the views then are spectacular!

The way back was much faster, it took us only half an hour and we overtook the hikers of that bus, which were just returning as well.

An adventure for sure. But not really that dangerous as I made it at some stage in my head... Well, it pays to invest in good hiking boots for everyone!

in: pathtag

Regards from Kassel, Germany

ElliPirelli

It was a great adventure. But I must say, I have several logs, which I'd like to enter, it is really tricky to choose...

There was an incident in Sweden, where I had to drive along a gravel road for ages, to find a statue of a formerly king, which the listing didn't state. It also stated, I wasn't allowed to reveal, what I found in that little forest.

Wouldn't have been so bad, if there weren't two couples there, which weren't geocachers, but historians. Which gave me a great history lesson, but asked some questions as to how I found this least known statue of this person, while I obviously didn't have a clue who it was... Uhoh...

Most of my travels and caching adventures can also be read in my blog, a link is in the sig line...

GCHF07

[Found it] March 28, 2004 by Toojin (560 found)

Exciting find. We figure we had 12 inches of clearance above the Suburban. Saw a glorious blue heron whose wingspan seemed exactly the same as the canal it was flying up. Duffles and Aunt Caro found the cache, we are beginning to feel redundant, accustomed as we are to finding caches under rocks in the west.

In general the scouting was entertaining because I am either an ignorant westerner or an ignorant northerner, take your pick. I was walking along thinking that if this was Idaho and the cache had been visited within the last few days, we could follow the footprints and the crushed vegetation. Not in Georgia, plant recovery on all trails rehides the caches.

Found the cache, T- Beaver Meadow TB (who is bound for Oregon) and some playing cards. L- potato dude and Gwinnet Quilters Guild pin.

On the way out we saw a(nother?) blue heron posing and fishing. Then we were watching for turtles in the canal; we saw some little ones then a really giant one that I decided from the movement was rooting around for snails or something. (Remember the ignorant part?) Then it was suddenly upside down and then disappeared in a cloud of black mud and another turtle appeared and started breathing deeply. So, what is the gestation period for turtles?

This was a fun cache for all of us.

March 12, 2010 by tommytrojan360 (299 found)

WOOOOW! You don't even want to know what I went through to get this! But I'm going to tell you anyway.

My mom has to go to Oil Can Henry's to get the car's oil changed, so I went to go find a geocache while we were waiting. So I'm walking down the railway alone(or so I thought) to go to the cache.While I was walking I find this really cool, really old nail, used for the old railroad track. I decided that it would fit well in my cool collection of old stuff , so I pick it up and bring it with me. As I'm nearing the cache, I hear this really loud barking from a backyard up against the railroad. I thought to myself, "Wow that must be a huge dog." I get to the cache, find it very quickly, but as I'm putting it back I get stung by a bee on my leg. It hurt for a bit but I shrugged it off and wobbled back down the railroad. As I'm walking I hear the dog AGAIN! Out of absolutely no where this huge black lab comes sprinting at me!

I start to dig in and run for my life. It was chomping and barking at my heels for about 50 yards! Then all of a sudden it stumbled and yipped! It looked to me like it stepped on some glass, but it went wimpering away. I was so scared and thankful I was in cross country. Without that I think I would have been dog food! When I got back my mom said she could here a dog barking really loudly! Well lots of fun!

This was pretty scary, I hope you enjoyed reading it, hahah!

Edited to add link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=8710dbfc-7e9c-4755-a742-5df6cc3b4bf1

Edited by tommytrojan360

It was one of those rare times that it was freezing cold in Texas. In Katy it wa sin the mid twenties and I saw a cache had been published and noone had tried for it. The decription said it would be a good nighttime cache. I decided to take the challenge myself and set out in the cold weather and in the dark. Further, I decided to let the cache know I was coming and started taunting it the whole way there until I found it: (read from bottom to top as directly from the cache log).

February 9 by databit (101 found)

I found you, laid your insides across the ground, and had my trophy. FTF

I smell you. And you smell of empty logbook and fear. Hide if you must, but I will find you.

That crunching? That's frozen grass under my feet. I'm getting closer!

I'm in the park now. Can you hear me?

It is 745 pm. It is dark out. The tempature is in the mid twenties. The wind is blowing hard. I'm coming to get you now.

What was pretty cool was that after I arrived at the cache and started going through it, the OC showed up. They (It was a pair of guys)had been monitoring the log and they said they had caught my taunting and kept waiting for the "Next note" after each one I posted.

February 3rd 2008

L&C Monument

This is our longest log and tells of our caching in the right place at the right time.

well, sit back and rest a bit (thats what we're doing after our day of caching)it's going to be a long log. Today is Joe's 47th birthday and we got some caches put out and went out for a very pleasant winter day. Light snow, no wind not too cold. We found a few then went back home to log them and check to see if ours were published.

We had a nice lunch then back out for more caching, this time in the Bluffs. We found a few then headed for L&C monument, we had been here before for the virtual but felt it was too hot for the long hike. We pulled in and realized that Our Old Spot was closer so we went for that one first. found it and used the low road bypassing the monument, to head for your cache. It is quite the trail to follow to the cache area, had we realized the conditions we might have put it off again. There was light snow covering the refreeze of previous snowmelt and we did some slipping and sliding, laughing as well, but basically kept our feet. Several times along the way Joe said "What kind of flipping nuts are we?" we kept on and reached the cache area. After a short search we found the camo taped tupperware container. Hooray! then Vic said she thought it was an ammo can. We checked the last log on the palm and saw that the ammo can was to replace the tupperware but that the tupperware couldn't be found. We started to search for the ammo can so we could unite them, but was interrupted by a call for help from some one who kept slipping and couldn't make it back to the trail. We had him go cross country to join us, using the undergrowth to help steady himself. He was without gloves and inhaler (he was asthmatic)and appeared shaken. We were very cautious at first until we sized up the situation and realized that he was "special needs" we began to lead him out and listened to him and talked with him to help keep him calm, all the while carefully making our way back. He told us that his "staff" person was waiting parked by the monument for him. Well we got him there and Joe told the staff person that the young man was very tired and she replied "that was the idea" and Vic asked if she had ever walked those trails and that they were dangerous today for someone by themselves. She got a sheepish " no " and we left not wanting to make a big scene and upset the youmg man anymore. We were upset that a "staff" person would allow this situation to happen, but also thankful we were there to help. We could picture him getting more and more upset and less able to function had we not been there for him. So, thank you for the cache, the scenery and view is wonderful, we apologize for not being able to bring the 2 caches together and we are thankful your cache brought us here at a time when we could help a person in need. TNLNSL

Here's my log entry. I will also send this log via email to the contest host. We now call this cache "Torry Falls" :laughing:

Except for a few scars the hubby has fully recovered!

Cache: Fern Falls GCY7NA

September 27, 2010 by Suzyfishn (304 found)

Well, this cache/hike turned into quite an adventure during our four-day stay in Crescent City. Found the previous cache Among Giants with little trouble - although no gps reception due to the trees - hiked all the way to the falls as we were so close that we couldn't leave this one behind.

A WORD OF CAUTION TO ALL CACHERS!!!!! One tiny "trip" can almost ruin your day.

Hubby initially made the climb while I caught my breath at the bottom. He spent a good 15-20 minutes ... nothing. Came down a-ok and we looked at the photos and he got his bearings again. With no gps had to solely go off the spoiler pics. Found it within minutes the second time.

On the way back down, he lost his footing on the slippery ferns (and mud from the morning fog) and FELL 20+ feet to the bottom. OMG I about had a heart attack as I watched him cartwheel down the dry granite rock side of the falls and smack into the trees laying across the bottom.

I was thinking I was going to have to hike out on my own to get help as he certainly must have broken something. I reached him within seconds -- his face was covered in blood and dripping everywhere. He had road rash scrapes on every knee, elbow, shins, thigh, top of his head, left hand, bruises everywhere --- but thank goodness nothing was broken. After cleaning him up best I could in the stream with Starbucks napkins we had in the fanny pack, we caught our breath and started the agonizing walk back. We were back to the car in just under an hour...ALL 2.88 MILES. Amazing what adrenaline can do!!

He likely should have had stitches in his lip, but there's not much for emergency services in Crescent City and we just wanted to get back home to La Pine, Oregon. He will likely have a scar at least on his lip and is going in for a tetanus shot tomorrow. He's pretty stove up today and we've just been resting...my legs are sore from our "power hike" out! I'm just glad he was ok. Especially since he has surgery for a brain aneurysm in 2009.!! Sheesh.

Anyhoo....

I can't imagine what could have happened...this could have been soooo bad if he was more seriously injured - and there is no phone reception out here. My hubby is very fit and pretty agile and nothing like this has ever happened before.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE...ONE TINY SLIP COULD BE DISASTROUS!

I think I would rate this cache more a 4.5 to a 5 on terrain. I wouldn't want kids trying climbing this.

TNSL....dipped bug for mileage.

Edited by Suzyfishn

This is my first cointest entry ever! ( goodlife4Me )

This log is for the cache Mimi's Point (GC1X5RZ) on October 21, 2010. My 8 year old son and I were really new to caching (only 1 month) when we were told about this cache by the cache owner's father. I was apprehensive about going so close to dark, but he said it wasn't far. I'll forever be glad we went, and forever reget not having a camera with me!

link:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=528375d7-be50-4f7a-b481-ce3f07417569

log:

October 21, 2010 by GoodLife4ME (128 found)

Came here today by recommendation of a local cacher we met while finding Osmunda Club.

We admired the cliff swallow nests on the way in, then had fun running on the railroad tracks. After we signed and traded, then turned in a hurry to head back as it was getting dark, we were treated to a gorgeous sight.....the tracks reached out in front of us with the sky reflecting in the pond to both sides of the track, the setting sun behind us lit the yellow and orange trees an incredible golden color ahead of us on the other side of the pond, and directly above the tracks, between the dark pine trees, a stunning full moon.

This is why I've fallen in love with caching. It's not about the box under a rock with a couple trinkets in it. It's about everything ELSE leading To the box, the people, places, the adventure and unexpected. As I ran the tracks back with my son, and with the cool air on my cheeks, I felt truly lucky and deeply happy.

Thanks for taking us there.

Edited by GoodLife4ME

Who knew choosing my favorite of my logs could be so difficult. There were so many caches I have found (which I loved) and posted really long logs for. Such as GC1VYFK 5 Digits 2 Float Your Boats II. We found this cache in late fall when it was really cold and we left soaking wet. The log which I had the most fun with, however, and therefor my entry was for GC24Y4G or SID's Evil X-Mas Tree! This cache was hidden by a friend of ours and was nothing but EVIL! To humor the cache owner (and myself) I wrote this. After my log I decided it was appropriate to make a photoshop artwork of the cache owners face on the grinch with a few of our local cache owners on who's (to compliment the Christmas theme). After we found this cache we replicated it numerous times and have never stopped referencing it when someone calls a cache EVIL (because this brings a whole new meaning to the word)! Thanks for the cointest! P.S.: I aparently didn't read the instructions close enough: Troutonthebrain (me) found SID's Evil X-Mas Tree! on 21 March 2010.

Here's the photo I made for the log

e4a69a9c-bbc4-4956-b79c-12e08469c923.jpg

It's a little blurry, but you get the picture.

Edited by Troutonthebrain

GC2DN9Q Kidnapped - A night cache (my first)

August 21, 2010 by kini_ont (648 found)

When we arrived at the site of the incident, we noticed that the kidnapped victim had left clues to their whereabouts. The experience team of Federal Bunny Investigators (FBI) began to follow the leads given, first clue found raised the expectation that the bunny in question would be found, but would it be too late for the helpless little one we lovingly called Harriett.

The fog was getting thicker as we searched for the second; everyone held on to the hope and sure as we could be a second clue became visible. We rushed to the spot only to have our spirit dampened, we gathered to discuss what we should do; turning back would seal the fate of the Oryctolagus Cuniculus. We were a determined bunch and would not take failure easily so we pressed on turning over every rock following the streams of light that shone brightly in this eerie foggy night till .... suddenly there in the darkness a glimmer, a clue to investigate.

Our enthusiasm was restrained it was a clue but not the final we hunt for, was it too late for fuzzy bunny, only time would tell these woods were not giving up its secrets without some illumination.

The warning had been issued “Be careful out there boys and girls it’s a jungle”, “Keep those eyes and ears close to the ground the Hare we seek is nearby.” The air was dripping, also anticipation was high, the Duracell Bunny turned up the voltage the woods and night sky became as bright as the day, night crawlers disappeared into their lairds not wanting to be discovered and scrutinized to the whereabouts of the said lapin.

Suddenly beady red eyes could be seen in the far off distance, could it be, will it be. Caution was thrown into the wind, the crack team of Investigators from FBI with their lead detective rushed to the scene, “Yes, I found it” cried out in the darkness, high fives were passed around and then the mob of trained investigators appropriated some of the hard evidence at the scene, Harriett had be located unfortunately the perpetrator(s) were not apprehended, they remain at large but are not considered to be a threat to the community, not yet!

This has been an excerpt from the book “The Day the Hare Stood Still” or “The Bunny Gets It” also coming soon to a theatre near you “Hare Trap – The Musical” staring Kevings as the lead investigator. Thanks to Kevings, AllergroMouse for letting us join the hunt and Fingers Crossed for placing this cache.

We missed FTF by 45 mins but STF is not bad, had a great night caching

Thanks for the cointest :D

Mine is not a long story that could have been embellished, but also not a short TFTC! log. With only a little over 100 finds, and geocaching for 2 months,.... this is my log of a cache that not only was a challeng, but introduced me to my first geo-friends

The Cache is called Pot Luck and is located in South Plainfield New Jersey, On the day it was published we had over 2 feet of new snow on the ground!

View Geocache Log

old_school_65 found POT LUCK

Thursday, 13 January 2011 New Jersey

Edit Log Delete Log Upload Image Yesterday, after working on Heavy snow removal with Meteorologist for about 20 mins or so, and meeting Maggie02123 and Gallfamily,..I had to depart GZ, as I had exhausted my lunch break and had to return to work.

I returned early this morning, with some additional info on the cache and was able to put my hand on the cache in short order.. I signed the Log just under Lat.dude,

I took the dice to remind me what a crap shoot it was trying to locate this cache yesterday and left a Polar Bear Club Patch, to Honor the above mentioned cachers that I had the pleasure of playing in all that snow with yesterday,, It was great to meet you all, and look forward to crossing paths with you all again...Maybe, just without all that snow!! :)

Thanks!

I am loving this cointest! The entries have been fun for everyone, and I'd like to thank all of the participants for posting their logs here, especially drneal. :P I figured this cointest would be most difficult for those of you who have been caching for a while and who obviously have wanted to document some of your caching adventures. However, I like that those of you who are new to the sport are also entering and bringing that fresh vision with you in your logs...makes me remember when I was first getting started and surprises were plenty!

Two more days to consider your logs, old and new, and submit an entry. I'm looking forward to reading whatever else comes my way and to announce the winner shortly!

Thank you to everyone who has entered so far and made this a fun thread.

Thinking back to my logs I know I don't have any that are as great as the ones posted here, or a imaginative as DrNeals, but I did want to put this one in. I hadn't been Geocaching long when I found this one.

I had looked for some by this same person and to say that they are difficult is an understatement. I looked 4 times before I had found one of them. I was talking to another cacher and he asked me if I had found this one yet (GC244V9) and I had to admit I was really just exhausted even thinking about looking for it. Esp since that was this past summer when it was so HOT here in AR, however my son feeling up for the challenge wouldn't leave me alone about it. After reading the logs and seeing that NOT one person had found it on their first time I couldn't decide if I was more determined, or more sure I would fall into that same category. So here is my log...

Found it first time out! I am so freaking proud! Took Indiana Anthony & I about 20 min. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I could have done it with out reading the logs & already having been victim to....umm I mean having found some of Mr Berryolds other tricky caches. LOL As always very creative & a great cache TFTC!

I know it is short and sweet, but I am most proud of this log if for no other reason then Anthony and I where the first ones to find it on the first time out!! Mr Berryold is a very tricky person to say the least, however if you're in central AR and looking for some great caches you should look up some of his. This is when I know I was hooked on Geocaching :laughing:

It took me days to deside which log I sould post here! Since I love history, sometimes I like to post them too in my log, so other cachers will know more about what they will see! Other times I do not post a lot in the log...

There are 2 logs that were not posted as is in the cache page... the first... well.. I thought it wouldn't be nice to see a huge log with one of the funniest stories during geocaching... that happen to us! the second... well.. I didn't post the second because I didn't want other cachers to scared and not visit the cache just because this happent once...

You can read both of the real logs in my column in the online geocacher magazine, here:

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time/article/smelling____caching_adventure__05-24-09-10-05-43

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time/article/unexpected-danger-while-geocaching

This is just for the fun!!! Now.... since I didn't post these as a log... they do not count!! I was between 3 logs...

then I limited it to 2 and this was hard... one had probably the most photos of the Gatoulis team.... playing with snow... something extremelly rare for Rhodes!!! But I desided to post here the following log! I hope you will like it! ;)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=efc36448-a324-42f8-b3a5-28fddff70f8e&log=y&decrypt=#

[Didn] November 1, 2009 by GATOULIS (38 found)

Oh boy... we had big plans for today but everything went....

Our plans were to go for geocaching while my mother and my father would stay in the hill close to Agathi bay, to collect snails (yes, we eat snails! ) and then to have a barbeque in Agathi, with sausages and eat there!!! It was going to be a great time!! I had a geocoin to drop there too!

At first we went ot visit 2 caches in Prassonisi (the southernest part of Rhodes) but the water level was high and had covered almost all the sand road...

So... we went back to visit the Arcopolis cache! It was 15:00 and we only had some time, but we wanted to do it!

we went there, we founf the red spots and the stone pyramids easily, but I am afraid we were wrong once again and messed it up! We were seeing red spots and after the arc and we got a little confused! We searched but without any luck!

It was getting dark and we had to leave! We were wondering what to do with the barbeque!!! It was getting cold, it was getting dark, and some heavy clowds were coming!!!

Oh... I forgot to say that while we were searching in the cave, and on our way to the cache area, we started collecting snails too! WOW! It is a snail paradise there!!! I also found the head of a mortar from WWII!!!! What a relic!!!

On our way back, my brother in law realised that he had lost his mobile phone!!! It was an expensive model!!!! I tried to call him from my mobile phone when I realised that the battery was low!!!! I managed to call him and then my mobile's battery ended!!

We were so sad!!! Everything was going wrong!!!! We went back to the car where our parents were waiting us out in the cold! Nobody had a torch!!! It was too dark so we desided not ot eat out side! We were going home!!! We were starving but....

My brother in law was sa sad! So... we desided to go home, take my father's mobile and my sister's mobile who she forgot to brink with her, take strong torches and go back!!! YES! We drove back to the city of Rhodes and then back to Charaki!!!

When we were ready we drove to Agathi once again! On our way it was raining!!!! Nothing could stop us!!! We went there and we made a plan!

My sister and my father who came with us, were goinf to stay in the car and with the mobile phone my sister was going to call my brother in law number so we could hear where the mobile was! My and my brother in law went to look for it!

It was not an easy way! It was too dangerous! It was rainning, and too dark, but as I said... nothing could stop us!

The rocks were quite slippery and we were very careful because of the cliff! In one rock, my foot sliped and I got hurt a little... I couldn't walk good from then and now I feel some pain, but it is ok!

At night the area is so different! We got lost twice and actually on the first time I fell on the wire fence!!! I do not know what the guy who put it there was thinking about! The wire was too high to avoid animas from his property! Actually I was lucky because the wire had nails! the wire of the fence was my neck but I wasnot hurt at all!! Thank GOD!!!

The good thing was that we started hearing the mobile ringing!!!! YES!!! at least we founf the mobile!!! My brother in law was lucky!!! The phone was dry!!! there were only a few drops of rain on the leather case!!!

We got back and drove home! Since we were very wet, we changed clothes, we had a shower and finally we ate!!!!

What an adventure!!!

We didn't find the cache this time, but... we will go back!!!!!

BTW... the arc is so pretty and the view is fantastic!!!! WOW!!!!! What an area foe a cache!!!!

****************************************************************end of log!********************************************

P.S: you can also read this adventure in the magazine...

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time/article/snails-on-trails-and-goats-hear-notes

Thank you for the cointest!!! :D

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to review your logs and find one to share with me and the geocaching/coining community! This was a difficult choice because of the sheer breadth of logs featured here: creative, funny, direct, and personal. In the end, the winner reminds us that sometimes we are representing not just geocachers but the larger community of people.

Congratulations, catsnfish! At the end of the day, it's really not just about the numbers and indeed about much, much more than making the find.

Honorable mentions go to drneal, for his clever entry, and to The Skylark Four, because I think we've all felt that way.

catsnfish - Please send me your mailing address along with your choice of which Celtic Sun coin you'd like as your prize.

Again, sincerest thanks to everyone for taking the time to participate AND for your efforts in writing logs that surely made the cache owner smile. I know I did!

NobelPrizeForLiterature.jpg

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to review your logs and find one to share with me and the geocaching/coining community! This was a difficult choice because of the sheer breadth of logs featured here: creative, funny, direct, and personal. In the end, the winner reminds us that sometimes we are representing not just geocachers but the larger community of people.

Congratulations, catsnfish! At the end of the day, it's really not just about the numbers and indeed about much, much more than making the find.

Honorable mentions go to drneal, for his clever entry, and to The Skylark Four, because I think we've all felt that way.

catsnfish - Please send me your mailing address along with your choice of which Celtic Sun coin you'd like as your prize.

Again, sincerest thanks to everyone for taking the time to participate AND for your efforts in writing logs that surely made the cache owner smile. I know I did!

NobelPrizeForLiterature.jpg

I was quite surprised when I opened this thread today to find I had won. I'd like to echo the bold line above, thank you everyone for your enjoyable logs.

Penny and Kona, Thank you for a great cointest!