hosting my first event

hey to everyone. i am getting ready to co host my first event and my area's first event. i have been to a couple and read through the forums and googled some info on geo events. do you guys have any tips or suggestions on what to do or not to do? it's gonna be a meet and greet since this will be a first. i'm thinkin of a couple of games, some finger foods and drinks. then maybe a door prize or two. thanks for any input!

I found this website while looking for more info on Geocaching Events:

Website Link

Helpful Tips On Hosting a Geocaching Event of Your Own

-Organize a meet and great soiree at the beginning with the whole name tag thing and a welcoming atmosphere.

-Food and beverages for the folks should be arranged for at least one meal (provided it’s not all coming out of your pocket unless you’re really generous). If it's a long day or weekend-long event they can be on their own or to eat other meals or alternatively; you can specify a pot-luck kind of deal. Arranging for food vendors is an option too.

Get it sanctioned by your local, statewide or regional geocaching organization that has its own website (they will have their own criteria and ideas too for sanctioned events).

-Carefully plan the games that will be played or the geocaches that will be hidden on the site you choose.

-Parking and restrooms must be accounted for; it's easier if the site already has this along with a place to shelter up if inclement weather invades your gathering.

-Here’s the form event form to register it on Geocaching.com (this is very helpful for the additional tips provided and a log which will allow folks to log whether they will be attending).

-Indicate the specific reason for the event such as trading geocaching coins, community service, and themed seminars.

-Maybe try and get GPS manufacturers there with a booth, their business counts on you folks.

-If they’re coming from far places, travelling and accommodation information should be provided.

-At the very least, post all this news about the event two weeks before it, although ideally you want to give people way more notice than that.

-Maybe you should also have an emergency cache that is very difficult to find and far, far away made especially for any special attendees that show up and are clearly going to be obnoxious and annoying for the entire event. Hopefully you’ll never have to use it, just like the nations with nuclear arsenals.

-Kids tend to enjoy these picnic-like events; they’re great outings for the whole family. Geocaching for Kids is a Grand Idea makes the case for why this hobby is so beneficial to them for all the skills and traits it will instil in them.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/gps/articles/67269.aspx#ixzz1FMHkXpKE

hey to everyone. i am getting ready to co host my first event and my area's first event. i have been to a couple and read through the forums and googled some info on geo events. do you guys have any tips or suggestions on what to do or not to do? it's gonna be a meet and greet since this will be a first. i'm thinkin of a couple of games, some finger foods and drinks. then maybe a door prize or two. thanks for any input!

My $.02 is to keep it simple, stick to what you think you can easily handle your first time out and set expectations up front. The good news is a lot of these type of events tend to run themselves. :) The bad news is that you're usually so busy making sure everything is flowing and everyone is happy that your own MnG time will be limited.

On the activities side:

I find that having to manage too many "activities" (e.g. kids activities, giveaways, non-raffles, etc.) at the same time as "meeting and greeting" can become a bit overwhelming, especially on your first time out. If you've got enough "helper" support, then it might be a little more possible, but again, keep it simple until you feel more comfortable with the mechanics.

You also have to consider what activities "blend well together". For example, a MnG is probably NOT the best place for conducting a workshop, because the people strictly focused on the meeting and greeting may serve as a distraction for the other activity (if the room is not sufficiently large).

You may want to have a very simple agenda that outlines when MnG/chitchat happens, versus a group photo (if you want one), versus another specific activity (e.g. cache exchange, Q&A, pin the tail on the cacher, etc.)

On the materials side:

* For kids activities, don't forget the pens, crayons, wooden nickels, markers, etc. - Ebay or a party supply store will come in handy here.

* If you're bringing (or having people bring) food, the usual cups, plates, plasticware, and maybe tablecloths and garbage bags (depending on the facility)

* If you're doing trackable discovery and trading, I'd bring a couple of plastic bins / containers and label them "Discovery Only" and "Swappable".

* If you're doing some sort of raffle or giveaway, you'll need tickets (Office Depot or any similar place will have them)

* Some type of log

* If you have a local Geocaching group, you may want to contact them to see if they'd like to help co-sponsor or support the event in some way (e.g. loan you a piece of equipment, give you some sort of small door prize to give away or raffle off for the group's benefit, provide a representative there to answer questions, etc.)

I hope this helps.

Edited by daschpeeg

Our local group has monthly meet and greets. The host picks a place, makes a reservation, and that's about it. We're very informal. At some point we go around and introduce ourselves, and there's lots of cache talk. Usually there's a raffle (usually you bring an item to enter). We also award any milestones.

My best advice is to not sweat the pressure. Events tend to work themselves out even if you miss some details.

I'll echo this one! We've hosted two events, both of which had "issues". The night before our first event, the restaurant let us know that they had lost their liquor license. We had the event there anyway, and everyone had a great time (the free food didn't hurt, either). Our second event was outdoors at a local park. That day, it was like 103F with 90% humidity...just miserable, and everyone had a great time. Many people look at events as just another convenient excuse to get together with friends, the rest is just icing on the cake. Looks like you've got a good handle on things!

Geo-Bingo is indeed a good icebreaker, especially if there are a lot of attendees who don't already know each other. Geocacher-U has a nice printout that you can modify.

A door prize or two is cool. More than that becomes a real buzzkill as everyone stops interacting to listen for their lucky number.

Gosh yes, I've sat through 45 minute door prize giveaways. It really does put a damper on things (unless of course you are the one who wins the new PN60).

I think keeping it simple is the best way to go for a first event. Hold it at a pub or restaurant, Dutch treat. That way people can spend as little or as much as they wish and you don't have to worry about a menu, utensils and cleanup.

I find that you don't really need games. Left to their own devices, cachers will mingle and chat. Games take away from that, particularly if they are games that encourage people to go off on their own, or in small groups.

thanks everyone for their info! i am thinking of having a kid korner with some stuff for the kids to do. im not sure then on the games...unless i had one ice breaker at the begining. any suggestions for the kid table?

I found some geocaching coloring sheets and puzzle sheets at an event in WA and have been copying them and bringing them to events for a few years now. A find a word and a few coloring books will keep kids busy for quite a while. Go to Geocacher U and look for the downloadables.

I think they are at:

http://geocacher-u.com/?page_id=60

Good stuff there. We also tend to let the kids participate in any games going on with the adults. So the geo-bingo is a great way for the adult cachers to meet the kid cachers.

At one of our yearly events I try to have a really big metal drum about half full of dollar store and craft goodies. It is a tradeless cache, if the kids can find it, they can take one or two items. When the event is held in a park, the drum gets hidden within 100 feet of the event, just barely out of sight range so we can basically watch the kids search and trade but not feel like we are policing them. They seem to enjoy having something they can look for that is specifically set up for them. We have a few dogs that come out to the events so I try to put a few dog toys in there as well so their people can take them out to find a new toy as well.

Jen

An ice breaker game can be a nice touch, but only if it's simple and doesn't expect previous knowledge of the other cachers. The first event I ever went to had an ice breaker game that sort of dominated the first half of the event, but you had to know things about people in order to play so it was kind of boring/uncomfortable for the n00bs.

My favourite events are fairly unstructured, so people have an opportunity to meet and chat. A short presentation or two can be okay, but nobody wants to sit in a chair and watch Powerpoint slides for two hours - geocachers get together so they can talk about geocaching!

The more affordable it is, the better. I've been to a few potluck events, and they were wonderful - some people don't want to or can't afford to spend money on a restaurant meal. We've kind of abandoned our local monthly event because the restaurant it's at just isn't very good, and we'd rather spend our entertainment budget elsewhere... but it seems like a jerk move to go to a restaurant and not order anything, so we just don't go.

A short presentation or two can be okay, but nobody wants to sit in a chair and watch Powerpoint slides for two hours - geocachers get together so they can talk about geocaching!

Been to a lot of events but never one with a presentation.. outside of a Geocaching 101 event that is.

but it seems like a jerk move to go to a restaurant and not order anything, so we just don't go.

I always thought you didn't care about your image.. perhaps I was wrong.

I've hosted a decent number of events and most have all gone excellent. The rest were fine, just not excellent. You've already been given a lot of terrific advice and I'll not waste time repeating it.

One of the things that I've found that can help with your attendance is to make up an event page on your favorite social networking website. That gives you an opportunity to invite cachers who you know that maybe don't keep good tabs on the event calendar. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from a cacher "I'm sure glad that I saw you were attending that event. I didn't even know it was scheduled." It just helps spread the word a little better.

Being the social junkie that I am, I wish the event calendar had a more prominent position on the main page :)