Respect to the cacheowner

MarMis

Ok. And how do we do it with Earthcaches. An earthcache is to learn about a unique geoscience feature or aspect of our Earth. You are asked to do some questions and/or tasks and make pictures. Are we all doing that?

And what if you have downloaded the cache on your GPS. You arrive at site and it seems that the info is solong and the questions are not visible.?

Ok. And how do we do it with Earthcaches. An earthcache is to learn about a unique geoscience feature or aspect of our Earth. You are asked to do some questions and/or tasks and make pictures. Are we all doing that?
Yes. That's how you log EarthCaches (and grandfathered virtual caches). And the grandfathered webcam caches have their own requirements.

And what if you have downloaded the cache on your GPS. You arrive at site and it seems that the info is solong and the questions are not visible.?
What if you arrive at the (bogus) published coordinates for a mystery/puzzle cache with no other information? What if you arrive at the virtual first stage of a multi-cache with no further information? What if you arrive at the coordinates of next weekend's event cache with no further information?

With anything other than a traditional cache, you need to read the cache description and plan your visit accordingly. Even with traditional caches, there may be important information in the cache description that seekers should read, but at least you know that the container should be at the published coordinates.

None of this has anything to do with cache owners trying to impose additional logging requirements.

If it's that important to you that someone other than the usual FTF hounds find your cache first, then give your friends the coordinates and other cache info before you publish it on geocaching.com. Once you publish it here, the information is available to everyone and one of the usual FTF hounds will probably be FTF.

If it's that important to you that someone other than the usual FTF hounds find your cache first, then give your friends the coordinates and other cache info before you publish it on geocaching.com. Once you publish it here, the information is available to everyone and one of the usual FTF hounds will probably be FTF.

Or do like some cachers have been know to do - get slew of containers and have your friends sign the logs before you hide the cache. As soon as the cache is published, they can log it and completely bypass the hunt - instant FTF. The best part of a FTF run is in seeing who else is going for it and maybe meeting others at the cache. Its not so much that you are getting a FTF. And when a FTF is handed on a silver platter to you, it becomes less gratifying.

And when a FTF is handed on a silver platter to you, it becomes less gratifying.

I agree. Around here we have a monthly event where we all get together at a restaurant or park or something to eat and talk cache. At the last several events it's become popular to raffle off the FTF honors.

I think it's silly to even claim a FTF on an event, but if one would do so, it should be the person who actually arrived at the event first.

I did not do this when I hosted an event and was criticized for it later. Whatever.

You can no longer place alternative logging requirements on geocaches. That means you can't require someone to wear a silly hat, sing show tunes to a passing muggle, etc. You can request that people do these things but they are under no obligation to comply.

Edit to add that restricting who can be FTF kinda cheapens the FTF for whoever gets it. It's like saying "I won the foot race!" when the other guy had his shoe laces tied together.

we kind of agree with this,,

we were the FTF of a restricted FTF cache. it was our very first, FTF.

we had all the excitement and adrenalin buzz of rushing to the site, finding the cache and signing the brand new log...and then it was kind of like... oh.. where is everyone else?? it seemed as if we had been given a head start in a race, and therefore not really a winner

we had all the excitement and adrenalin buzz of rushing to the site, finding the cache and signing the brand new log...and then it was kind of like... oh.. where is everyone else?? it seemed as if we had been given a head start in a race, and therefore not really a winner

In your cache it was a really honest FTF. Because the mentioned FTF'ers where out of town otherwise they would have this one too (as they admitted). So don't worry, you can be proud on that FTF and are a really winner.

I don't believe in restrict a cache to only your "friends". Only want to give others a chance. Many cachers don't attemp anymore, I want that feeling back what others are saying on this forum. That you meet each other at a FTF. Talk and laugh with each other in stead of the obsession running from 1 cache to another cacher to be the FTF on all, just to make your list longer.

In your cache it was a really honest FTF. Because the mentioned FTF'ers where out of town otherwise they would have this one too (as they admitted). So don't worry, you can be proud on that FTF and are a really winner.

I don't believe in restrict a cache to only your "friends". Only want to give others a chance. Many cachers don't attemp anymore, I want that feeling back what others are saying on this forum. That you meet each other at a FTF. Talk and laugh with each other in stead of the obsession running from 1 cache to another cacher to be the FTF on all, just to make your list longer.

Ok, here's an idea...host an event! Get all the FTF hounds and other cachers together and share phone numbers, with the plan that, next time there's a new cache in town, everyone can text each other "I'm on my way", 'See ya there", "wait, I'll be there in 5 minutes"... Works around here.

Nope. What you want is to be exclusionary. The truth is that everyone has the same chance at being the first to find a cache. Some are just more willing to drop what they are doing and do what it takes to get there first.

Earthcaches have their own set of guidelines.

If you go to an Earthcache without properly preparing for it, you won't be able to log it. Them's the breaks.

Seriously, if you're going to come in here and cry about "respect" and tell people how they should play the game, you should really read the guidelines and figure out how things work.

Some examples:

- Opening times of cementary

- Catch the cache only if you wear a suit and tie

- You need to walk the last meters backwards

- The FTF only for people with less than X FTF

- You need to shout "yes" after finding the cache (or no with a DNF)

Respect the LAW, especially when it comes to what hours a location is open vs closed. Always, always, always!

I would pretty much always respect a CO's request regarding the nature of swag left in the cache and to not to hunt at certain times due to high muggle activity risking the cache's discovery.

The other things you list are relatively silly OLRs (Optional Logging Requirements) that I would likely not follow unless I really felt like it. Maybe the FTF thing.