Respect to the cacheowner

MarMis

How far do you need to respect the wishes of a cacheowner?

What is for you a reason not to follow the instructions and why?

Some examples:

- Opening times of cementary

- Catch the cache only if you wear a suit and tie

- You need to walk the last meters backwards

- The FTF only for people with less than X FTF

- You need to shout "yes" after finding the cache (or no with a DNF)

My personal opinion: If the cacheowner put's the request on the cachesite and you will go for that cache, you need to respect the wishes of the cacheowner. Otherwise just don't go for that cache!

You can no longer place alternative logging requirements on geocaches. That means you can't require someone to wear a silly hat, sing show tunes to a passing muggle, etc. You can request that people do these things but they are under no obligation to comply.

Edit to add that restricting who can be FTF kinda cheapens the FTF for whoever gets it. It's like saying "I won the foot race!" when the other guy had his shoe laces tied together.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I understand that it's not a "must"...But what I mean is how far are you going to "respect" the cacheowner wishes?

As your example if I am on holiday and get a cache I don't have a silly hat....I will sing a tune without the hat. For me that's how far I will go.

I'm just curious how other cachers will see it.

Your question mostly reads as being about additional logging requirements (ALR), which I ignore.

I ignored them when they were permitted by the site. Typically I ignored the entire category, though sometimes I'd find a cache with ALR, but not log it, or log it with a note. A few times I found them and did the ALR (where it seemed like fun ).

Respect runs both ways. The cache owner needs to respect the "light fun" nature of the activity, and that its basis is using a gps to seek specific coordinates to find hidden objects. How the seeker is dressed (etc) is not part of that. Owners who supposed that FTF or Found it! is something that they can bestow or control have lost track of what geocaching is.

Hours of that an area is opened is NOT an additional logging requirement; it speaks to the permission arrangement between the cache owner and the land owner or manager.

For stuff like finding a cache when a park,cemetery, etc. is open, I think that is a legit request and should be honored. I also place requests like not to step in the flower bed, pull apart the stone wall, park on the grass, or walk across private property in the same category.

The other stuff is silliness and it's up to you whether or not you want to participate. For me, if it's not too much trouble and I think it would be fun I would probably do it. If it's January and the CO asks that I find the cache naked, then no way.

There seems to be a clear enough difference between things you MUST do in order to avoid an unpleasant possibly legal encounter and "alternate" possibly "fun" requests of the cache owner.

One, I will always comply with.

The other, I will do, if possible and not extreme.

If the request is reasonable, then sure.

A photo? No problem. Putting something small/minor in the log that requires some grey matter? Sure. Respecting private property, public hours of operation, etc? Yes, yes yes!

Sacrificing small animals in front of the cache? Procuring and wearing a penguin outfit while searching for the cache? Not so much.

I understand that it's not a "must"...But what I mean is how far are you going to "respect" the cacheowner wishes?

As your example if I am on holiday and get a cache I don't have a silly hat....I will sing a tune without the hat. For me that's how far I will go.

In the case of silly ALR requests like those that you listed... I will totally ignore them.

I haven't came across this before, but if it was something easy to do like yelling 'YES' or 'NO' then why not? But things like wearing a suit and tie etc something that doesn't interest me. This is supposed to be fun and if the CO is trying to make it funner, then sure i'll bite :lol:

A shout of YES or NO might result in a visit by the CO if they happen to live / work nearby... congratulations or a hint.

Not always likely, but possible. They might already know that you are there, just waiting to see the actual result... of course CO's have lives too! Anyways, a reasonable request can be complied with if you wish. Besides which I often say YES! aloud, or mutter something else when not successful.

Doug 7rxc

- Opening times of cementary

- Catch the cache only if you wear a suit and tie

- You need to walk the last meters backwards

- The FTF only for people with less than X FTF

- You need to shout "yes" after finding the cache (or no with a DNF)

I don't believe any of those have anything to do with respect to the CO. The first is rather a legal requirement and not directly a request from the CO, while the rest are unrelated to caching, which means that while the CO can place such requests, (dis)obeying them is not (dis)respectful.

Respect to the CO includes things such as rehiding the cache properly, closing the container properly, trading swag and not just looting it, writing a nice log message either in the book or online, making sure you're not seen by muggles, etc. Basically all the things that the CO doesn't (or shouldn't) need to mention, but that you should do anyway.

I'm wondering now if I am the only one that doesn't generally read the cache description before I hunt a cache and sometimes not even after I've found it. I download pocket queries to GSAK and then load them into my 60csx. I dump all the caches into my ipod touch but I generally forget it when I jump out of the truck. If I find the cache I log it as found. Having said all this, I guess I won't be yelling yes or no, dressing up, or singing when requested to do so... :unsure:

Me not following through even on "suggested" ALRs has nothing to do with respect. The term Respect and "dissing" people is so misused.

With my cache "Vector Mojave, the cure" you are instructed to chant "Hi Ho, Hi Ho" twice. This is not a ALR but failure to do so will mean you are still infected with recombinant DNA Microbots. :rolleyes:

In fact I will do as the CO requests as long as it's not totaly out of line and does not give the cache away to Muggles. :D

- Opening times of cementary - I'll ALWAYS follow the time requirements and any other similar requests.

- Catch the cache only if you wear a suit and tie - IGNORE

- You need to walk the last meters backwards - I MIGHT

- The FTF only for people with less than X FTF - Irrelevant. Anybody can claim a FTF even if the CO doesn't agree.

- You need to shout "yes" after finding the cache (or no with a DNF) - PROBABLY NOT.

Thanks all for your reply. It's a good feeling that a lot of cachers still have the respect on a high priority list.

Just now why I was asking. We are living in a small country. I tried to get a FTF a couple of times but stopped because I was always beaten by 1 (or better 2 persons). all the time they get the FTF. When chatting around it seems that more cachers tried but stopped because of this.

Then I thought of putting some caches out and requested that if it was possible that the FTF is going to a newbee FTF cachers and not for the collectors with hundreds FTF.

I know it's can be demanded (i don't want to) but is this not a matter of courtesy?! Especially knowing that it's a wish of the owner and more cachers to have a chance ?! (Yes everybody has the same chances but normal people don't work, eat, live the whole time with geocaching and don't see the cache at the same moment that it comes alive as they are).

Just now why I was asking.

Aha. Figured there was another shoe to drop, that had nothing to do with asking cachers to perform silly actions, and has nothing to do with "respect".

Then I thought of putting some caches out and requested that if it was possible that the FTF is going to a newbee FTF cachers and not for the collectors with hundreds FTF.

You can try to control the actions of others, but there's nothing that says you will be successful. And there's no reason for others to abide by any sort of limitation on who is the "FTF".

If one is into the FTF game, then one needs to just deal with it, and not try to control how the game plays out.

I would think that trying to place any sort of restriction regarding who is supposed to find a cache when would be considered unpublishable.

If it is a reasonable request, and one that I can do, I will, even though ALRs are no longer allowed. However, things that I find as reasonable, Joe down the street might find totally out of the question. Most of the time though, unless I am hunting a puzzle, earth cache, or virtual, I do not read the cache description until after I have found the cache.

After the ALRs were no longer allowed, we had a local who still 'required' cache logs be written in Haiku or limerick form. Neither of those do I write (never could). Instead, I apologized in my log about not being able to write in that style and proceeded to write about the nice location and the enjoyable walk to GZ and thanked the guy for the hunt. He didn't like it and, while he did not delete my log, he put a note on the cache bashing me up one side and down the other for not following his rules. I haven't hunted a cache from that CO since. Respect is a two way street.

<snip>

<snip>

You can always ask, but as you know, you can't make it a requirement. Some cachers will respect your request, others may not - just human nature.

I still can't imagine why it's so important for a person to have FTF for such an easy cache. If it was realy a difficult find or a question cache. That's a real achievement. But just driving picking it up and put it back, just to add it to your long list.....knowing you are spoiling the fun of your fellow cachers......ohoh what a fun.

What does the words: respect, courtesy, honour, esteem, deference mean in the world if you don't do it yourself.

I still can't imagine why it's so important for a person to have FTF for such an easy cache. If it was realy a difficult find or a question cache. That's a real achievement. But just driving picking it up and put it back, just to add it to your long list.....knowing you are spoiling the fun of your fellow cachers......ohoh what a fun.

What does the words: respect, courtesy, honour, esteem, deference mean in the world if you don't do it yourself.

aren't you worried that your FTF might spoil the fun for someone else? what do you want? a bunch of people standing around waiting for someone else to get the FTF? might as well make it an event. <_<

Why do you show so little respect for those who put considerable time, effort, and money into being the first to find a cache? While it is not my bag it is an impressive feat.

hy·per·bo·le

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

aren't you worried that your FTF might spoil the fun for someone else? what do you want? a bunch of people standing around waiting for someone else to get the FTF? might as well make it an event. <_<

It's not a whole bunch of people. Just 2 cachers (who mostly cach together).

I know it sounds selfish, but is that not what they are doing too?!

Since this entire post seems to be about scolding people who don't behave according to your personal rules, I really think you should be careful about throwing around words like courtesy and respect.

hy·per·bo·le

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

What does the words question mark mean in the world if you don't do it yourself.

Edited by narcissa

I guess that I fail to understand the OP. Respect has nothing to do with (now banned) ALRs. If a CO wants to put weird requests on his/her cache, then the CO is being silly. ALRs can be ignored.

Not to say that I don't try to humor COs with now banned ALRs. If it seems like fun. Yes, I posted a Limerick, used the name of a Honda in my log, took a photo of my favorite nude statue. But they are ALRs, and cannot be required.

To request an SLR now that they have been banned, is pompous, and will be ignored. Respect does not come into it anywhere. So, I confess, that I just do not understand the OP.

Coming back to the first question. f it's possible I will try to follow the instructions of the cacheowner. Silly or serious.....why not :rolleyes:

There are not so many caches/cacheowners around her, I'm so happy if somebody takes the effort to hide a cache. I will try to keep that person happy...so he/she will hide more ;)

Coming back to the first question. f it's possible I will try to follow the instructions of the cacheowner. Silly or serious.....why not :rolleyes:

There are not so many caches/cacheowners around her, I'm so happy if somebody takes the effort to hide a cache. I will try to keep that person happy...so he/she will hide more ;)

If it appears that a person is placing caches for the purpose of controlling others, rather than for the enjoyment of others, then my concern for the cache owner shrinks considerably.

Trying to discriminate against cachers by setting ridiculous rules on your caches is not respectful.

It has to add to the fun of the game and not include threats of removing your log. I respect ALRs as requests to keep the theme or make it fun (funny) for the enjoyment of everyone. But if someone doesn't want to play along that should be fine too as long a they found the cache and followed the general rules then so be it. Conditions that do not add to the fun I ignore. But mostly I'll play along because it's fun! There should be no conditions on the FTF.

Edited by brinnt
Trying to discriminate against cachers by setting ridiculous rules on your caches is not respectful.
+1

If you disrespect cache seekers by trying to impose manipulative rules on them, then it seems unrealistic to expect cache seekers to "respect" your manipulative rules.

I want an FTF for every cache I find please. kthxbai

just think.. the CO may take your pic doing something silly and then post it on the internet..

do you realize how funny it is what you just said? :laughing:

YOU already posted your picture on the internet

Edited by t4e

The "walk backwards for the last few feet" might be a hint that the cache can best be seen from a certain angle.

But that's gonna depend on where you're coming from. And it kindof assumes that you already know where GZ is.

The "walk backwards for the last few feet" might be a hint that the cache can best be seen from a certain angle.

But that's gonna depend on where you're coming from. And it kindof assumes that you already know where GZ is.

Or that there is only one way in. My point is that what may sound a strange thing to do might be a hidden clue. Or just a strange request. You never know.

I'm not saying I would do it, but I would think about it in the context of the cache description and the lay of the land at ground zero.

I learned that the hard way so to speak. I DNF'd a cache. I had ignored what I thought was something silly and when I thought about it later I realized it was a clue and made the grab another day.

just think.. the CO may take your pic doing something silly and then post it on the internet..

do you realize how funny it is what you just said? :laughing:

YOU already posted your picture on the internet

wow... i didn't see that.. that's what i get for posting on the forum from my phone while i was "busy" doing something else..

but in our pic, we wasn't doing anything.

something simple is kinda nice.. for instance, we have a travel bug that requests we take a pick of it with our dog.. we'll do it for sure.. after all it's sort of a doggy bug. it seems like a nice thing to do. and i'll post it on the internet..