Is Vista HCx worth extra $50?

I am shopping for my first gpsr and have been looking at the Vista HCx and the Legend HCx. Is the magnetic compass and altimeter in the Vista worth the extra 50 bucks? Also what maps would I benefit from, preferably free. Where do I get free maps?

Edited by joker7037

I am shopping for my first gpsr and have been looking at the Vista HCx and the Legend HCx. Is the magnetic compass and altimeter in the Vista worth the extra 50 bucks? Also what maps would I benefit from, preferably free. Where do I get free maps?

In my opinion the extra cost for the electronic compass & altimeter is not worth it. You can get excellent free topo maps from GPS File Depot and you can get free routable street maps from OpenStreetMap but I do really like the Garmin City Navigator NT (DVD version so you can put it AND topo maps on your own 4GB microSD card together)

Edited by Triple Crown

Having an Oregon 450 which includes a 3-axis compass, I'd say it depends on the type of the compass and how well it works. The one in the Oregon is totally worth it: reliable and accurate. I'm not so sure if the same is true with the 2-axis compass that the Vista has, but I'm only guessing here as I've never used a unit with a 2-axis compass.

The altimeter I find pretty useless. It's nice to have a steady elevation reading, but I don't care much about elevation, so I wouldn't need it.

Edited by dfx

Having an Oregon 450 which includes a 3-axis compass, I'd say it depends on the type of the compass and how well it works. The one in the Oregon is totally worth it: reliable and accurate. I'm not so sure if the same is true with the 2-axis compass that the Vista has, but I'm only guessing here as I've never used a unit with a 2-axis compass.

The altimeter I find pretty useless. It's nice to have a steady elevation reading, but I don't care much about elevation, so I wouldn't need it.

The 3-axis compass in the newer high end units works quite well even when standing still. The older units require that the unit be held level (not convenient for viewing) and the electronic compass just doesn't work very well.

It's nice to have a compass that works when you're not moving, as for being worth 50$ more, that depends on you and what you're using it for. I use mine for work where I may have several hundred sampling sites and I'm carrying alot of gear. It's nice to be able to stop and get a reading then proceed to the site. I've also got a Dakota 20 with a 3-axis compass and don't necessarily find it better than the Vista HCX 2-axis compass.

I have a Vista HCx. My son has the Legend HCx. He got his about a year after I got mine and he chose the Legend because told him to save the extra money because the compass was not worth it. I have been out with him many times and he usually beats me to the cache :)

I find the 2-axis in my 60csx to be very useful, otherwise once you stop at a GZ you have to move a ways to get it oriented again. I'd recommend it.

The altimeter is very useful if you have experience navigating mountainous terrain using a topo map, but not much use to most people otherwise.

On Amazon Legend=$170, Vista=$220, Oregon 450=$330

Where are you guys seeing Oregon 450 for so cheap?

in the last few months they have been on sale numerous times anywhere from as $230 to $250

i'm sure there will be more sales to come

On Amazon Legend=$170, Vista=$220, Oregon 450=$330

Where are you guys seeing Oregon 450 for so cheap?

in the last few months they have been on sale numerous times anywhere from as $230 to $250

i'm sure there will be more sales to come

It's onsale at Cabela's right now for $250.

It's onsale at Cabela's right now for $250.

REI has sold it at that price in the past as well. Got mine on the REI $250 deal back last September.

To the OP - keep your eyes open. If you're in the mood to buy NOW, and don't happen to live near their store (who does?) the Cabela's deal is here online: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin174-Oregon-450-GPS/709846.uts

$50 cheaper than the Dakota 20!