Swag

NYSearchers

I am just starting out and am about the hunt more than the swag. Am wondering what I should carry with me in case I want to take something from a cache. I read about things not to use, but can't find much on things to take. I understand that it should be of equal value, but haven't started yet so don't know what value items will be.

Solution to that problem is fairly easy.

As there is no requirement to trade, don't -- at least until you've found a caches that handle swag. Not all do, like micros, they are just too small to handle much in the line of swag.

After finding 5 - 10 that have swag, then you'll have an idea and you'll probably put together a little ditty-bag for carrying same.

Dont panic to much about swag at the moment, just raid that little draw thats in everyones home, you know the one with bits and bobs in.

Old Xmas cracker toys, Mc D toys that sort of thing as this is what is generally in the caches.

However you do sometimes find some good stuff, if you find something that worth taking way up its value and replace with something/s of equal or greater value that all thats required.

Fact of the matter is that most caches that have swag contain worthless or nearly worthless junk. Some newer caches might have nicer stuff, but the value of the items is usually in the $1-$2 range and in rare cases up to $5.

Go to a discount store and buy a few Matchbox or Hot Wheels type cars, some of the $1 emergency rain ponchos, a few waterproof matchboxes (people love them for micro caches) and maybe a small, cheap flashlight or two and you'd have something to cover nearly any trade situation.

I gather a few items from the dollar store or the clearance isle. Oriental Trading is full of ideas.

Small calculators are nice, rolls of duck tape, playing cards, matchbox cars, rubber ducks, beanie animals, small toys, books, scredrivers, foriegn coins, etc. I have carried $25 - $30 digital watches with me over the years for the very rare moment that I come across a more valuable swag. It has happened 4 times that I can recall.

Don't forget that garage sale season is coming. I have found quite a bit of fun and nice little trinkets at garage sales, and the best part is, it is usually cheap.

I rarely trade out for stuff, but I like to carry a few things kids might like, to add to caches that are low or out of swag. I know that is not our job,(to refill a cache) but it gives me a good feeling. :)

I carry a fanny pack filled with cheap, 2-3 for A dollar, toys, bracelets, sunglasses, etc... for the kids. Seldom do I swap swag, but I'll leave a small handful in a caches that is depleted. If you can keep kids interested, the game will go on forever.......

Edited by GeoRVers

Not much to add...I just agree. That has been my experience as well. Most of the SWAG is just dollar store toys and assorted items.

The reason you don't find more expensive SWAG is, not everyone is honest, and most people don't carry much with them of any value, except their GPS. So if you feel like giving away a rolex watch, be my guest. LOL.

My impression is that the SWAG is mostly for any young children that accompany you on the hunt. My 11 year old son loves trading stuff. I've even been known to trade a few things (like a small carabiners; they make fun keychains!).

We always carry our "SWAG BAG" with us on hunts, just in case. :)

I carry a fanny pack filled with cheap, 2-3 for A dollar, toys, bracelets, sunglasses, etc... for the kids. Seldom do I swap swag, but I'll leave a small handful in a caches that is depleted. If you can keep kids interested, the game will go on forever.......

I hadn't thought that far ahead. But I think your observation is awesome and very correct. If my 11 year old gets hooked, I'd say he's likely to continue doing it, and will likely introduce HIS children to it as well. That would be neat.

I wish this had been around when I was a kid. They didn't have GPS back then, and I don't think the sport we know as geocaching was invented until I was already an adult.

I like the craft store for my swag. I get little bead kits, packs of badges (I like the gold stars, because as a kid i loved having those on my backpack), Also they have interesting things like glass zipper pulls etc. I also get thread here in which I make geocaching 'lucky bracelets' as a sig item.

I liked this idea, thanks for sharing this.

So far, I've stuck to Dollar Stores, but not so much Crafts and such. A bead kit or wristband kit would be fun for a little kid! Gold stars and other varieties of stickers are also fun...I've actually done a few caches with stickers in them and they are a hit with little kids.

What is a glass zipper pull?

Edited by knowltonGeo

When I first started caching I found lots of caches that had swag and I always carried stuff with me to trade. I still have trade items in my bag but almost NEVER find a cache capable of holding swag or travel bugs. These days it seems that almost all the caches placed (at least in my area) are micros. I find it sad. It's bad enough that fairly new cachers post logs like this when they actually find a cache with swag. This is referring to a HUGE park that's mostly wild foothills land.

icon_smile.gif February 21 by mamahilde (137 found)

Decided to enjoy the break in the weather and climb Monkey Face with my grandson (4) and his parents. Brought along his new Geomate Jr. to see if we could find some caches. We did -- 2 of them. My grandson actually found this on his own. Took geocoin that I don't see logged, so will wait a bit and see if it gets "dropped off". Great fund to finally find something with some swag instead of all micros like most of the park.

Polished pebbles, pewter coins with First Nations design, dollar store items/toys, whatever we think may make the little cacher happy. We are toying with the idea of signature items...something feline!

Wherever we go we keep our eyes open. Saw some neat things at a gift shop attached to one of our tourist attractions today, but the prices were a bit high. Gvae us some ideas though.

We have left camping/hiking/cycling items, whistles, bear bells, waterproof matchstick holders.

I go geocaching with my 2 young kids so I pretty much have to have swag with me. They can't stand to not take something. I have a bunch of my army patches so I drop them often. Also I found a bunch of small Ed Hardy pencil sharpeners for only 25 cents each. Foreign money is also fun. I'm thinking of having some signature wooden nickels made. Those are about the only thing I like to collect. The point is, use your imagination and have fun!

I personally love trading "good" swag. You never really see much of it though. I love the handmade items the best. I am going to be making some hand crafted necklaces and, little keychains and stuff like that. I love trading stuff like that, mainly because I feel it has a story behind it.

I am sorry that I can't get the same feeling of enjoyment out of a 25 cent bouncy ball or 10 cent party favor.

I also love trading interesting items I have collected over the years from flea markets, yard sales, ect, ect. I love getting really old stuff or collectibles.. I'm not against some of the old mcdonalds toys. I find those interesting. I just like anything that feels like it would have a story attached to it and it had some sort of meaning to the owner. Those are the items I like trading. Target also has a nice dollar zone section that always has really nice items and they always have a theme.

I personally would love to see more people leaving items of significance for others to enjoy like they have. I'm not saying leave your highschool ring, but i'd like to see people at least put some thought into the swag. Instead of being at kmart and passing the 25 cent gumball machine and grabbing a plastic ring or something. I know the main thrill is finding the cache itself but when you read logbooks sometimes and see what 10 items the owner put in to what people had left over the course of a few years.

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to geocaching but not to treasure hunting. I love the idea of finding something worthwhile and wonderful in caches and also leaving wonderful items for others to find. It makes the hunt more rewarding and fun in my eyes. I have an awesome idea that I will be employing in the geocaches I leave around Maryland and Pennsylvania and hope it catches on. I know not everyone does this for the prize at the end of the hunt, but for those of us that do, shouldn't we make it more exciting?

I'm thinking of obtaining some small (i.e. Matchbox-style) 4-wheel drive trucks/jeeps to leave since that is sometime required to get close to a cache. I'm going to pick up some small items from the dollar store and maybe some cheap ($2 - $3) PS2 games or DVDs. I like working with my hands and am thinking of doing some paracord-braided "survival" braclets to leave as a signature item.

I like the craft store for my swag. I get little bead kits, packs of badges (I like the gold stars, because as a kid i loved having those on my backpack), Also they have interesting things like glass zipper pulls etc. I also get thread here in which I make geocaching 'lucky bracelets' as a sig item.

I liked this idea, thanks for sharing this.

So far, I've stuck to Dollar Stores, but not so much Crafts and such. A bead kit or wristband kit would be fun for a little kid! Gold stars and other varieties of stickers are also fun...I've actually done a few caches with stickers in them and they are a hit with little kids.

What is a glass zipper pull?

They are zipper pulls with a small glass bead on them. They're really pretty

il_fullxfull.79799653.jpg

I'm not a kid anymore, but I still like trading stuff. I just like stuff though, little things that I can put in my purse or in a drawer (or to re-trade) that will make me smile when I see it and remember that particular cache. I also like things like little plastic rings, stuff like that. Pretty marbles, decorative rocks, etc. That's what I take with me/trade :).