Android Permissions

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would imagine it would need it to access your account or to confirm that you are the user.

It seems to be standard procedure with most apps these days though. I couldn't believe everything they wanted to access when I downloaded Google Maps. YIKES!!!

(I wouldn't ask THIS guy permission!!)

android.jpg

This makes me a little uncomofrtable, so I have to ask. Why, specifically, does the Groundspeak android app need the following permission:

Your Personal Information:
read contact data

According to Groundpeak, it is to allow you search for caches near locations in your contacts. See here.

Edited by B+L

This makes me a little uncomofrtable, so I have to ask. Why, specifically, does the Groundspeak android app need the following permission:

read contact data

According to Groundpeak, it is to allow you search for caches near locations in your contacts. See here.

So if I'm going to visit Fred on Saturday, I can look and see if there are any caches near Fred's house? That's pretty cool, I didn't know it could do that.

Ah, yes, there's an "import from contacts" button on the "Search By Location" screen that you can use to pull an address out of your contacts.

BTW, google maps uses that so that when you start typing in the search field, it starts to autopopulate the drop down with your contacts.

read contact data

So if I'm going to visit Fred on Saturday, I can look and see if there are any caches near Fred's house? That's pretty cool, I didn't know it could do that.

That is correct.