INTERNATIONAL...Kitchin Sink MINIMission

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

No, I didn't keep a copy of the list, which I'm realizing now was pretty foolish of me. Especially since the packages contained your activated travelers. Like I've mentioned, this Mission has not progressed at all like I imagined. Experiment Failed. The best I will be able to do is email everyone on the list and remind them that they should report when they got their package.

When I was in Chemistry class, the professor said that it wasn't failure, rather it was unexpected results and a teaching or learning opportunity...

I have enjoyed this mission and I hope that someone got my package and that things have just happened in their life where they don't have time to post. But that they still had time to enjoy the package and someday might send the traveler traveling. If it doesn't happen, oh well... I have put many things out into the world as travelers and very few are still around...

And this thread has been a blast !!

I agree with the others...this has been the best mission ever...I am one of the lucky ones who did recieve a package (and from the founder no less)but unfortunatly haven't seen the one I sent out arrive yet...I hope it arrived and the person just hasn't been able to post, but either way I still enjoy watching for it...Thanks again WSR and if another of these ever happen I will jump in again...T.

I really don’t have time to read back thru all the posts right now, but when I belatedly got around to logging the coin that came with my package I received a message saying they were glad it had arrived and they were worried because I didn’t report it here. I’m so embarrassed. I remember typing up a very nice but short post that it had arrived and I swear I even added a picture of my son Wolf’s Song enjoying the cute ladybug chocolates. (very melted since it arrived in 100+ degree weather. LOL) The box arrived during a very dark time in our lives and it brought us a little light to cheer us up. I’m not sure if I never hit the button to actually post or if there was glitch, but I’m sorry I never checked back. My computer went down (couldn’t even turn it on.) within days of getting the box and I still haven’t gotten the data off it onto this one so I can’t post pictures. I was without a computer for about 2 weeks and then life went on its crazy way.

Shortly before the box (I believe it was the pirates booty one) arrived my SIL forced my husband’s mother (who lived next door) into a nursing home. She actually had her committed first and it was awful. The family was torn apart by her actions and will never recover. My son used to see his beloved grandma almost daily and now we have to drive 15 miles to visit her. To make matters worse SIL (who has some kind of Power of Attorney) decided that since I didn’t agree with her I was not allowed to see their mom and the nursing home said that they didn’t have a choice but to abide by her wishes since she has the POA. I was livid. We were going out of town for an extended trip so I didn’t push it at the time, but when we got back on Sunday I decided that I’d had enough and went to visit. SIL made them call the police who didn’t really seem to know what to do. They ended up advising me that SIL might be able to file a civil suit against me and that she might be able to file criminal charges. A POA does not make you GOD and give you the right to tell the person who they can and can’t see. In the beginning I spent weeks while my MIL was in the first place where they committed her and the 2nd that was for people in the end stages of dementia (She is in the beginning.) trying to get an attorney for her. I failed and I felt like I failed her and my son. I’m pretty sure that the fact that SIL’s DH used to be a county judge and some bigwig politician in the past has something to do with the reason that none of the 20 or so attorneys I called would take the case. Most didn’t even call us back. A few admitted to having ties to the in-laws and some referred us to someone else.

The day after my MIL was taken away a crazy neighbor walked down the middle of street shooting. I looked out the window to see him shoot onto our property twice. When my husband who was headed out, opened the door to see what was going on a stray dog that had showed up the day before came bursting in the door bleeding all over the place. It was only then that I realized that my Wolf had left our amazing dog Max outside for a few minutes while he came it to pee. I ran to the door screaming for Max to come in and he was always quick to obey. When I didn’t see him within seconds I knew in my heart that he couldn’t come. It was devastating. Max died on the edge of our property where the neighbor had shot him point blank from the looks of it. I wish I hadn’t seen because I’ll never forget the image. Max was a mini Australian Shepherd and his collar had been blown 4 feet up into a tree. I’m so glad my son who was almost always in the yard when Max was didn’t have to see that, but he was traumatized enough by losing his friend and companion. He and Max were so close and he even let Max sleep in his bed. He still asks about Max all the time, but for weeks he cried and wanted to go to heaven and get Max back. How do you explain something like that to a 3 ½ year old? When the police came the guy claimed that Max had killed one of his chickens and the police would only press any charges because he was a convicted felon with a gun. They refused to press charges against him because of anything else. They ignored the fact that the day before he shot a dog for killing the same chicken and that he shot the stray which was a 3rd dog and he shot at another neighbor’s dog and missed. That he shot onto our property toward our house endangering everyone inside. That you can’t shoot a dog for killing livestock unless you catch them in the act and his chickens are on the other side of the road at least 2 hundred yards away. Max was never outside alone for more than maybe 5 minutes (I’d say less) and he always came right away when he was called. Our next door neighbors chickens spent most of the day in our yard and Max never did anything more than heard them some. He never tried to hurt one, ever and we were outside a lot. The police said that Max wasn’t on a leash and they could write us up for that. I pointed out that he was in our yard, but they claimed that he was on the easement and that isn’t our property. He claimed Max was coming after his chickens at the time. Where he shot Max was on the opposite side of our property from where his coop was. If he had shot at Max near his chickens and then again on our property I’d be willing to bet that Max would have been running in a straight line toward our front door just like a little stray who had never even been in our house did, Only he was killed closer to the neighbors on the other side. But who kills a dog and breaks a child’s heart over a chicken anyway? As much time as Max and Daniel spent playing together in our front yard the guy had to know how close the 2 were. Later his mom almost ran me over with her car pulling up to yell at me and call me crazy for calling the police over a dog. Now neighbors have taken sides and I feel like I’m surrounded by people who don’t like us. (We do have some close friends but we don’t really feel safe. Not that we did much before because our house was broken into right before the new year and that was the 2nd time in less than 2 years,

We were still trying to stop the world from spinning when a month later our very old Rottweiler Hoss passed. We knew his time was near for awhile and part of the reason we had gotten Max was to ease that sorrow a bit, instead we had to deal with both sorrows and try once again to comfort our child who dearly missed his playmate.

A few days later my mom who had been pushing us to get Daniel a new dog (we looked at a few but the only one we clicked with was a little more than we could afford. We had just had Max vetted a few months before and we did the thing where you pay the fees over the entire year and we still had to pay that off, plus the cost of a dog. We just didn’t have enough to cover it.) called us and announced that she had purchased a dog and could we pick it up. She said the dog was for her unless Daniel wanted to keep her. Which I know she expected. The only problem was the dog was a mess. She was afraid of men and not much better with women. She wasn’t housebroken, knew no commands and wouldn’t come when you called her. Plus she ran outside everytime we opened the door and it could take me 20 minutes or more to get her back in during which time I was terrified the crazy neighbor would shoot her. My parents live in Florida and it was going to be late August before I could take the dog to them and I had to worry about a 3 day trip. I tried really hard to work with her but within 2 weeks I realized that she would be much happier in a home with an older woman and no men. My husband would walk her, pet her, feed her and even after a month of working with her she would still run behind the couch terrified when he or any other man walked into the room. It took me weeks to rehome her, but my mom’s house has even more people in and out of it than ours does and getting Abby there was more than I could handle. Once again I felt like a failure mostly because as the weeks went by and I dealt with a dog who was nothing like Max it started to wear on me. Why couldn’t I help her? Maybe if I’d given her more time? Maybe she sensed my anger over having her here instead of Max, because she looked so much like him and that was one thing I told my mom I didn’t want when we got a new dog. Plus if my mom had just given us the money she paid for Abby we could have bought the dog we’d seen 2 weeks before that all of us really liked and he liked us. Still I liked her in a way and I really do feel like I tried to do what was best for her and it was still hard to give her to someone else. She would never have been a dog who enjoyed going to crowded places like kidzfest and the Strawberry Festival like Max did no matter how long we worked with her. We rehomed her about 3 weeks before we left for FL. We stayed with my parents and had a pretty relaxing 3 weeks. Then my mom found an Aussie at the pound that she wanted to look at. He seemed like a good dog but he was too big for us so she got him for herself. 2 days later he growled at my husband and kind of nipped at his pants leg. I watched out for Wolf’s Song the next 2 days and the dog seemed to play fine with him so we decided he had a bit of male aggression going on and the pound assured my mom that he would settle down some after a month or two because he’d just been spayed. Wolf’s Song was playing with him throwing the ball and after a while I stopped paying so much attention. It was stupid of me and it could have been so much worse. I heard the dog growl and my mom and I said Daniel get back. He stepped forward instead and the dog bit him. I couldn’t see from the angle I was at and it was an awful few seconds The dog had bitten his face, until I could be sure the damage was not to his eyes and not nearly as bad as it easily could have been I was terrified. Thank god the dog only managed to get him with the fangs on one side because it would have been 100 times worse. As it was he had fang marks near his eyebrow and on his lower cheek along with teeth marks raked down his cheek and a clear bruise forming between. The lower fang mark was deep and missing a small piece of skin. We took him to the ER and they told us that the risk of infection would be higher if the stitched it and that with the piece missing it might be better to leave it to heal on its own anyway. His Doctor looked at it later and told us that was the right choice but to expect it to take 6-8 weeks for that part to heal. At the hospital we discovered that he had a wound on his lower lip inside and out and a bite mark on his arm that was bruising but not bleeding. My poor little angel. The next few days were spent in turmoil because my mom decided that she was going to keep the dog and all of us were now terrified of it. We packed up and left with anger and tears. When Wolf’s Song got bit my brother was there and while Wolf’s Song was screaming in pain and terror my brother came over and started yelling at him that it was his fault and that the dog was going to be killed because of him. If I hadn’t been holding him in my arms I would likely have slugged my brother. How could he do that to a child who had just turned 4? I found myself wishing the dog would bite him. It tried once but he was too fast. I know it’s awful of me but I wanted him to have an idea of what Daniel went thru.

My son and all of us had, had enough. We needed something really good. So I did something I shouldn’t have and spent money that was supposed to go toward medical and dental expenses and I took us to Disney for a short trip on the way home to Texas. We needed it or we were going to break. Still not sure we won’t. But Wolf’s Song has some happy memories to temper all the bad ones. Now I have to find someone to help him deal with his new fear of dogs and his lingering sorrow over the loss of Max and his mama’s anger over all of this. We got home to the news that my mom had gotten rid of the dog after he nipped my sister. That’s a good thing but she should have done it when it bit a 4 year old instead of forcing us to choose between finishing our trip with a dog we didn’t trust in the house and leaving 2 weeks early feeling like she chose a dog she’d had for less than a week over us.

She is right when she says it was her choice but the choice she made was to risk her grandsons safety and the safety of anyone who visited for a dog she barely knew. To keep that dog even when I made it clear that we would not only leave but never return to her house as long as the dog was there. (I also asked her to board it till we left) To choose him over the grandson she only sees when we visit her because they never find the time to visit us other than 4 years ago when he was born. If I do go back they’d better be prepared to pay part of the expenses, because our last 2 trips were done because I felt obligated to go for my dad’s 75th and their 50thwhen I hadn’t planned to go and both trips I ended up costing me dearly. I love my parents but I’m sick of it being a one way street. Always come visit us, when they are the ones who have more money and find the time to plenty of other places.

Sorry I turned this into a vent. I’m tired of feeling like I failed and here I messed up again. I really enjoy geocaching and I’ve hated that I don’t get to do it much. I need to take time out from the doctors and the garbage and just go find a few every week or 2. I need to get back on this board and at least read about some fun. I’m trying to remember what was in the box because Daniel really enjoyed it. A crystal tree, he thought that awesome. There were a couple of things he claimed. A ring that lit up? The candy. The coins of course. The lucky horseshoe one is moving now and I’m going to kick myself because I really liked the other one and I can’t get the name to pop into my head. Sigh… Did I mention I haven’t been sleeping? I can’t even remember what was in the box I sent. I’ll try to catch up on the thread soon. I hope you will forgive me for messing up on this. It really gave us some joy and to us it was a great success. Thank you

Opps - forgot to report in here that Box No. 21 had arrived down under... (quite some time ago, sorry)

0df332d8-ac30-4259-b29b-719702a918af.jpg

I opened it to find it full of wonderful surprises...

a2f23825-d2e8-45a8-bc53-dc1f97a4635e.jpg

Not quite sure what to name the box, as it is truly a Kitchen Sink box of random items... caching items, fossil items, Texas items, and some sig items.

Maybe it could be the Big ol' box of randomness from Texas? :)

Anyway, I love it!! It was an awesome mission box. Thank you very much WolfsLady

2afe70dc-ab11-4da1-9e78-3a6f223e25dc.jpg