Membership Bologna

Astrogoth

I realize this web site is here to make money. I get that. What I don't get is the heavy handed way that it's done.

One example: I went hunting the other day and found where a cache was hidden in a city park near my house. Was, because someone had stolen it. (Since it was in a sprinkler control box I suspect it was a city worker just doing his job.) When I got home I went to report it only to find the listing limited to paying members only. Huh? I can't report it missing?? Dozens of other folks will have a bad experience like I did only because The Powers That Be here didn't bother to make an exception to the members only rule. A check box would do. An "Owner Check Your Cache" box. But no. Premium only. And another thing! I'd bet that 90%+ of cache destroyers have never even heard the word geocache, let alone come here for directions to valuable "treasure". An old yo-yo or a Hot Wheels is hardly worth the effort. Yet that's the main reason given, besides making money for this site's owners, that the premium members only system is in place. For our own good? More BS.

How about this then? Sell ad space here. Sell pointers to nearby or online family or outdoor/hiking related stores. Sell ad's related to the fit lifestyle. Hats, shoes, hiking sticks, kid stuff, dog stuff etc. Get sponsorship from GPS unit manufacturers. Most money gets the sub title. Geocaching Dot Com sponsored by Garmin! All these ideas take the funding weight off the users and put it on the owners. By doing this it makes the site easier and more fun to use and that in turn makes more people come here and participate in the hobby thereby making the owners more money from advertisers! All that's needed is a bit of work.

Scan this very first page of Forums topics and you will discover a way for any member to log a premium member cache.

Also feel free to email reviewers, and HQ with such issues.

The expectation is that only those with a premium account would ever be able to seek out such a cache and then they can log it appropriately.

At any rate - there are alternative avenues.

I'd bet that 90%+ of cache destroyers have never even heard the word geocache, let alone come here for directions to valuable "treasure". An old yo-yo or a Hot Wheels is hardly worth the effort. Yet that's the main reason given, besides making money for this site's owners, that the premium members only system is in place. For our own good? More BS.

Calm down.

Years ago we had a rash of people that called themselves Cache Pirates, and they'd come to the web site, get the coordinates (at the time anyone could do this even without a basic membership) and go steal caches just to be jerks. There was no real reason, some people just have fun hurting other people.

The PM Only cache option was put in place so that if you were in an area that had a Cache Pirate working you could hide your coordinates from them. The theory was that these idiots would rather go after the easy caches and wouldn't be willing to pay money to mess with caches when there were other's to mess with for free. It pretty much worked.

Anything else that gets attributed to the PM option such as fund raising or elitism is where the BS is.

One example: I went hunting the other day and found where a cache was hidden in a city park near my house. Was, because someone had stolen it. (Since it was in a sprinkler control box I suspect it was a city worker just doing his job.) When I got home I went to report it only to find the listing limited to paying members only.
How did you get the coordinates if it was Premium Member Only? Something doesn't add up here.

How about this then? Sell ad space here. Sell pointers to nearby or online family or outdoor/hiking related stores. Sell ad's related to the fit lifestyle. Hats, shoes, hiking sticks, kid stuff, dog stuff etc.
All of this is already in place. There are ads on the site. Sales of caching-related products through the site do generate revenue for the site.
Geocaching Dot Com sponsored by Garmin!
Garmin has started their own geocache listing website. Somehow I doubt they'd be paying money to sponsor a competing site.

You've also missed the other features that premium members enjoy as a result of paying the princely sum of 8.21cents per day to become Premium Members. If a CO wants to "reward" Premium Members with a cache listing visible only to them, let them do it.

Plus what StarBrand said.

Edited by dakboy

I realize this web site is here to make money. I get that. What I don't get is the heavy handed way that it's done.

One example: I went hunting the other day and found where a cache was hidden in a city park near my house. Was, because someone had stolen it. (Since it was in a sprinkler control box I suspect it was a city worker just doing his job.) When I got home I went to report it only to find the listing limited to paying members only. Huh? I can't report it missing?? Dozens of other folks will have a bad experience like I did only because The Powers That Be here didn't bother to make an exception to the members only rule. A check box would do. An "Owner Check Your Cache" box. But no. Premium only. And another thing! I'd bet that 90%+ of cache destroyers have never even heard the word geocache, let alone come here for directions to valuable "treasure". An old yo-yo or a Hot Wheels is hardly worth the effort. Yet that's the main reason given, besides making money for this site's owners, that the premium members only system is in place. For our own good? More BS.

How about this then? Sell ad space here. Sell pointers to nearby or online family or outdoor/hiking related stores. Sell ad's related to the fit lifestyle. Hats, shoes, hiking sticks, kid stuff, dog stuff etc. Get sponsorship from GPS unit manufacturers. Most money gets the sub title. Geocaching Dot Com sponsored by Garmin! All these ideas take the funding weight off the users and put it on the owners. By doing this it makes the site easier and more fun to use and that in turn makes more people come here and participate in the hobby thereby making the owners more money from advertisers! All that's needed is a bit of work.

Oh dear, did we step in some dog poo while looking for the cache? It happens, no need to get upset about it.

You can log any cache at any time, there are at least five or six ways to log any cache. But since you seem to find the coordinates to find the caches okay I suspect you also know how to log them. Have a nice day, and you really should clean that dog poo off your shoes before walking into peoples houses.

One example: I went hunting the other day and found where a cache was hidden in a city park near my house. Was, because someone had stolen it. (Since it was in a sprinkler control box I suspect it was a city worker just doing his job.) When I got home I went to report it only to find the listing limited to paying members only..... rant ...rant...

Your anger is misdirected. The person that placed the cache decided whether to exclude non-paying members, not Groundspeak.

A lot of pretend angst from someone with one find and one hide in 10 years...

Pretty clear that the OP doesn't log their finds. But perhaps they do log needs maitenance and perhaps DNFs to let cache owners know when there is a problem. So I don't doubt that this is the first time they found a PMOC that needed a note to let the cache owner know there was a problem. Aside from the question of how they got the coordinates for a PMOC (perhaps it was only recently changed to be a PMOC), they likely did not know about the backdoor method for logging a PMOC. Hopefully, the suggestion above has led them to find this method and take care of the issue they want to take care of. It could be very frustrating if you were to find a PMOC and didn't know about the backdoor if all you wanted to do was log an Needs Maintenance.

It's always fascinating how these characters can figure out how to use the site well enough to post an ill-informed forum diatribe about a total non-issue, but doing a bit of background research to figure out how the site actually work just totally escapes them.

Anything else that gets attributed to the PM option such as fund raising or elitism is where the BS is.

I hate to say it but I live in an area with a few Elitist GeoCachers. A buddy of mine, who is a PM, brought his daughter to find an cache. It was missing and following the rules marked it as achievable due to the fact he had been there before and knew it was gone.

No biggie you think, just replace the cache and reactivate it? Oh no, shortly there after he received a scathing letter from the owner giving him the third degree and vowing that the cache would be replaced the next day. It hasn't been yet (over a week.)

I have had problems getting responses from people on geocaches asking questions and what not after I find them. This isn't a one shot deal here.

PM elitism is the rule where I am not the exception. So from my POV, it is fund raising and elitism.

I hate to say it but I live in an area with a few Elitist GeoCachers. A buddy of mine, who is a PM, brought his daughter to find an cache. It was missing and following the rules marked it as achievable due to the fact he had been there before and knew it was gone.

No biggie you think, just replace the cache and reactivate it? Oh no, shortly there after he received a scathing letter from the owner giving him the third degree and vowing that the cache would be replaced the next day. It hasn't been yet (over a week.)

I have had problems getting responses from people on geocaches asking questions and what not after I find them. This isn't a one shot deal here.

PM elitism is the rule where I am not the exception. So from my POV, it is fund raising and elitism.

How does that equate to elitism? That's just someone with a bad attitude. Happens all the time in all walks of life. I sure don't see how that has anything to do with Premium Memberships!

Why shouldn't Groundspeak make money? They do all non-supporters a favor by giving the major percentage of the site for free. Also, why didn't your "friend" post a needs maint. before posting a needs archived?

You may have a point with this, but could you please put it in a context that others can understand? Rules and/or Achievable don't seem to fit. Well... maybe they "fit", but I don't know what they mean in regards to geocaching.

You may have a point with this, but could you please put it in a context that others can understand? Rules and/or Achievable don't seem to fit. Well... maybe they "fit", but I don't know what they mean in regards to geocaching.

I think they meant to say "Archiveable", as in "Needs Archived". I still don't see what any of that has to do with PM, making money, or elitism, though.

I think they meant to say "Archiveable", as in "Needs Archived". I still don't see what any of that has to do with PM, making money, or elitism, though.

OK. I can live with typo errors (Lord knows, I'm good at creating them).....

But "missing" = "Needs Archived" ????????????????????????

Nice apple, BTW

I know what you mean. That's just plain elitist!! :wacko:

You've been caching for less than three months and you're calling elitism? Give yourself time man. I mean this in the nicest possible way. The way you're talking can only lead to a bad split for you and geocaching. There are some out there that aren't the nicest people, yes some take themselves WAY to seriously, but I hate to see a new cacher do this to themselves. Make something like "Cache as thou wilt" your mantra and let it all go. I promise you that you will enjoy the sport a lot better. I speak from experience.

Plus Groundspeak only takes certain peoples money for the Premium Membership. Not everyone can get it. I won't tell the correct combination of denomination/year/nationality of funds, if all the others in the club won't either.

Plus Groundspeak only takes certain peoples money for the Premium Membership. Not everyone can get it. I won't tell the correct combination of denomination/year/nationality of funds, if all the others in the club won't either.

...and Groundspeak most definitely doesn't care about the chinldren.

...and Groundspeak most definitely doesn't care about the chinldren.

I thought the "Platinum" members were the elitist. :blink:

No, platinum is so yesterday, Groundspeak has gone high tech, Aerogel is the highest level membership, I just paid.....well I am not at liberty to say, but didn't anyone else get the memo?

If you paid, you're not Aerogel. I'm sorry to have to tell you that you're only Expanded Polystyrene.

No, platinum is so yesterday, Groundspeak has gone high tech, Aerogel is the highest level membership, I just paid.....well I am not at liberty to say, but didn't anyone else get the memo?

If you paid, you're not Aerogel. I'm sorry to have to tell you that you're only Expanded Polystyrene.

Fellas, haven't you seen Dune. The elitist level is Melange - after all, he who controls the spice controls the geocaching universe.

Fellas, haven't you seen Dune. The elitist level is Melange - after all, he who controls the spice controls the geocaching universe.

I thought it was by invitation only. My invitation didn't say nuttin' 'bout payin', just a gracious invitation to attend the induction ceremony, FOC (free of charge)

Dang! I thought we were getting free lunch meat :huh:

Me too! I thought it was a new perk with the purchase of a premium membership. I think TPTB should consider this. :D

Jeez, you guys certainly went to the wrong ceremony

D'oh!!! Well that would certainly explain the rope burns!!! :ph34r: