Placing large caches

I've got a great spot to place a large cache. It would be a homemade container, and would be placed in an excellent spot - a place I really don't see any non-cacher poking around, plus - the container could easily be (if I don't mind saying so, myself) one of the best "hidden in plain sight" style dudes ever. I know that I've read plenty of stories about surprising places for muggles to be messing, but that's not the question.

My limited experience in caching, and researching caches in various areas, shows me that an overwhelming number of caches are easy-to-grab micros or small swag caches. For obvious reasons, this fits many more scenarios than the idea of leaving something the size of a 5gal bucket or a 6ft chunk of PVC - and I totally understand that.

I guess my question is rather general... I have some cool stuff that I would need a large cache for, so I would like to do it. How many of you have placed large caches? Do as many cachers go for them as for the quick, G&G micros? (This cache would still be within 3-5 min walk or so from easy parking). Other than the muggle factor (which I have already mentioned), is there any other reason someone could mention to not place a large cache? Does anyone even care about the stuff IN a cache? I don't... that's more interesting to my 9-year-old. I just wanna sign the log and/or move a trackable. Is that the norm?

In short... Is it worth my time. I think the reason for, and the contents of the cache would make its placement worthwhile. Will anyone else care, or should I just throw out another Reg/Small/Micro?

I've found a few large caches and own one (through adoption). My favorite one was placed by new cachers who only had 1 find. It was a large plastic treasure chest hidden under a huge, plastic fake rock that was so realistic looking I tried to sit on it (and hence found the cache). It was filled to the top with swag, books, CDs, toys, tools, you name it all mostly new. It was a nice change from the ordinary swag and the cache was a huge hit for the time it was out there.

I don't think most veteran cachers cache for the swag, but many of us still enjoy seeing a well stocked cache. I say go for it.

The major pitfall with large caches is finding a suitable place to hide them. They need to be very well camouflaged, or they are bound to be found eventually by non geocachers no matter how far off the beaten path you think you hid it.

I've found 3 and placed 2 which makes them very rare indeed.

Location is everything for a large cache. It has to blend in and be part of the landscape (cityscape) and visitors needed to be shielded from onlookers in order to preserve the cache.

One that I found was a multicache with just 2 stages. Stage 1 was microcache with a key. Stage 2 was the large - a locked metal box welded to the side of a building and a lid with a padlock - right on a busy street. The micro was hidden away from public view but the cache itself was easily visible from both foot traffic and cars!

We've only found a small handful of large caches. There is a particular sense of glee when the wife asks me "What size are we going after next", and I can say anything besides micro. It seems the bigger the container, the more excited we get about it. We don't care much for the swag, we just like finding cool containers. We kinda look at it like it's an archaeological dig. Pottery shards (i.e. Micros) are allright to find, bt every now and again, you want to find a big Golden Monkey Head, so to speak.... :laughing:

We found a neat large cache, hidden in plain sight and attached to a private structure - with permission and help from the owner of that structure. I actually leaned on it and mentioned something about its locking mechanism while my caching partner was scrabbling around on the rocks below. Not the first person to check out the rocks, nor the last. It is one of my favourites and I voted for it.

so, it sounds like there are a rare few Extra Large caches out there, how big would be too big? Would a cache you could climb into be cool or creepy? Would it be best advised that something on that scale would be best under lock & key/ combination lock regardless of it's location?

Lets just say I have legal access to some materials not commonly found lying around your ordinary office or home. Materials that could be placed just about anywhere without looking all that out of place :anibad:

so, it sounds like there are a rare few Extra Large caches out there, how big would be too big? Would a cache you could climb into be cool or creepy? Would it be best advised that something on that scale would be best under lock & key/ combination lock regardless of it's location?

Lets just say I have legal access to some materials not commonly found lying around your ordinary office or home. Materials that could be placed just about anywhere without looking all that out of place :anibad:

Personally, the idea of a Geocave would be awesome. We have a cache near here that involves diving into something similar to a storm drain (long since out of service), but technically making the building or enclosure the container? I like. Maybe have folks sign a poster or something? Very resource intensive, but you'd have the coolest cache in town

To the OP: You can already guess why there are so few large caches. They are much harder to hide than a small container. They can also be more expensive to stock though the dollar stores have large things for sale too which don't normally don't fit in a cache. 3-5 minutes walk wont dissuade too many geocachers. Just be prepared for the possibility that it will get discovered and don't put anything very valuable in it. Also make sure your cache is waterproof. Apart from an extra large ammo can, I'm not sure what other kind of cache will stay dry. 5 gallon buckets may not work. (I recall seeing discussions about special lids you can buy to make them waterproof.) Good luck with your idea.

To the OP: You can already guess why there are so few large caches. They are much harder to hide than a small container. They can also be more expensive to stock though the dollar stores have large things for sale too which don't normally don't fit in a cache. 3-5 minutes walk wont dissuade too many geocachers. Just be prepared for the possibility that it will get discovered and don't put anything very valuable in it. Also make sure your cache is waterproof. Apart from an extra large ammo can, I'm not sure what other kind of cache will stay dry. 5 gallon buckets may not work. (I recall seeing discussions about special lids you can buy to make them waterproof.) Good luck with your idea.

When out caching once saw a shipping container, and thought wouldn't it be cool if *that* was itself a geocache! Given landowners permission, and probably planning permission too, I don't see why it couldn't be?!

"How many of you have placed large caches? Do as many cachers go for them as for the quick, G&G micros? (This cache would still be within 3-5 min walk or so from easy parking). Other than the muggle factor (which I have already mentioned), is there any other reason someone could mention to not place a large cache? Does anyone even care about the stuff IN a cache?"

Ive placed 2 large caches made from storage bins. My area doesnt have alot of G&G caches, but the large caches in my area appear to be visited only slightly less so than other caches, but those who do visit them appear to like them alot. But really I think theres no reason NOT to place a large cache if you can in a safe area. Outside my county I havent seen a single one, and I bet most cachers would love to find them.

I would suggest maybe throwing in a specific box to hold trackables so they dont get lost in the swag. Stocking doesnt have to be very expensive either, new clothes are usually a big hit and you can get those on sale, DVDs, video games, I even have picked up house clocks for under $4 and put them in there. You can have fun with the swag without breaking the bank.