"Geocoins Near Your Home Location" Map

Gliderjohn

Hi all, I'm very new to the world of geocaching and am already intrigued with geocoins. I'm sure this is a very basic question with a very simple answer, but I have not been able to figure it out yet. When you go to the Geocoin Information Page, a map is displayed with coins in caches near my home. How do you expand this to show more than just the few close to home. In a couple of weeks I plan to be hiking about an hour away from home and would like to see if there are any coins in that area. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Gliderjohn!

I'm not sure the map can expand. The best way (in my experience) to look for coins or other trackables in geocaches is to run a pocket query. You can specify that only caches with coins/TBs inside are listed.

Sadly, the pockey query is based on information on the website, which is often incorrect because of logging inaccuracies. On the flip side, I've visited geocaches and located trackables that weren't yet listed, usually because the person who left them hadn't had a chance to log them.

Hope this is helpful! Enjoy your hike, and if you do locate geocoins that are OWNED, don't forget to move them along! The owners appreciate it, and it makes for good karma for you.

As a Premium Member I would use a Pocket Query to search for Trackables and then cull the TBs (be sure to read through the recent logs in the cache containing coins as they may be missing). Otherwise change the coordinates for your home location a map's width away from your present "location" and keep moving it until you have the area covered you want to explore.

Edited by Droo