Driving to get dinner...cacher spotted!

mlomeli

I know, probably nothing new...but I was headed to pick up dinner and saw a geocacher out and about. I knew one was in the area, but I didn't stop to chat...I was hungry. Just sharing. Sometimes it's just as cool to see others doing this, as well. Sure enough, I checked and it was logged today.

Indeed. We've got a cache near our house and unfortunately it's not close enough that we can see cachers finding it, but it sure would be fun to rig up some sort of camera to watch the cache.

I remember seeing people searching through bushes at a local park and wondering what the heck they were up to. A few months later, we discovered caching and went to find that same cache, now their behavior makes sense.

My mom remembers years ago seeing people canoeing out to this small island in the middle of a river and thinking maybe they were up to no-good, drugs or something. Now she's found out there used to be a cache on that island, so she figured that's what they were up to.

It opens up a whole other world!

I know, probably nothing new...but I was headed to pick up dinner and saw a geocacher out and about. I knew one was in the area, but I didn't stop to chat...I was hungry. Just sharing. Sometimes it's just as cool to see others doing this, as well. Sure enough, I checked and it was logged today.

maybe it was just the local lamp post safety inspector :yikes:

maybe it was just the local lamp post safety inspector :yikes:

Haha, maybe so... :)

I have seen cachers at a couple of my caches many times over the years.

One time I saw a car with about 6 guys pull off for the parking area for one of my caches. I pulled off a few hundred feet back and watched as one guy jumped out and ran off into the woods to find the cache. I could barely see him back through the trees about 400 feet up the trail as he signed the cache log and tosssed it back to the ground. The car pulled away moments after he jumped back in. The next day - I got 6 "found" logs for the cache. <_<:ph34r:

sigh.

I've had folks honk and wave as they went past me when I was caching. It's pretty obvious what you're doing to other geocachers. Of course the folks who honk and wave know who I am so.............

I've spotted others geocaching from time to time. I asked one couple hiking up in the park if they were geocaching and it turned out they were really new to it. They were wandering in a "geocaching fashion" so my wife and I just went up to them and asked. As it turned out, they were a bit bummed that their batteries had just died and they'd have to quit caching but I had spare batteries and gave them a pair so they could keep on searching. It's good to meet new folks.

The day after I placed a cache I was out walking my dog and a dog we were taking care of. As we approached the cache the dogs took off towards the cache. When I caught up the dogs were wagging their tails and licking some poor guy who was looking for the cache. I introduced myself and he ended up being FTF.

A few weeks ago my friend and I were in a small park looking around and some guy drove by and called out the window "Did you find it yet?" We should have asked him to stop and help since we never did find it.

I was hunting for a cache once before a dental appointment and the cache owner not only spotted me but came to talk to me. Then as we stood there talking another cacher came cruising by us looking for it. It's not a particularly busy cache and in an out of the way town but it was really cool. Really fun to meet everyone like that.

I have a cache about 500 feet from my house. I never see people at it. Actually I take that back. I've seen cars there when cars shouldn't have been there and I have seen evidence of people having been there (tracks in snow).

I have seen cachers at a couple of my caches many times over the years.

One time I saw a car with about 6 guys pull off for the parking area for one of my caches. I pulled off a few hundred feet back and watched as one guy jumped out and ran off into the woods to find the cache. I could barely see him back through the trees about 400 feet up the trail as he signed the cache log and tosssed it back to the ground. The car pulled away moments after he jumped back in. The next day - I got 6 "found" logs for the cache. <_<:ph34r:

sigh.

Man, if that had been my cache I wouldn't have deleted the logs or anything, but I would have called them out on it to let them know that I was there and they were so busted.

Although I can't watch the actual find, I own 4 caches that share a common parking spot that I can see from my house. I usually have to wait until they log in to see which one(s) they found, but if it is after sunset I have a pretty good idea. I also happened by one of my other hides awhile back and spotted two guys wandering about looking for it. They were startled to see anyone away from the trail and felt they had to explain what they were doing. I listened and nodded and moved on. They logged it that night.

I have one in front a local package store that has some impressive landscaping and is plain view of a nearby major highway that feeds into and out of Atlanta. When myself and the other handful of Fingers (pun intended) were returning from a Sunday shopping run I saw a min van and what appeared to be a family milling around the cache location. I pulled up and stuck my head out and asked "Do you know what you are looking for?" the dad stuttered some and I admitted that I was cache owner and gave them an extra hint on the location. One of the kids found it and we had a short conversation about some of the other caches in the area since they were from southern Georgia and there are limited wi-fi hot spots in the area. (Yes, we are one of the few areas that does not have a Starbucks on every corner.)

We were the cachers spotted when on a day trip to an area about 3 hours away. Just letting the GPS settle down and a voice from a vehicle yelled out "it's behind you!!!"

We recently spotted cachers at Mile Zero, by the Terry Fox Memorial here in Victoria....doing the drunken GPS walk that only cachers can do....

In my area I often see cars parked in odd spots along highways or something and see people wandering around lost. I used to think now what on earth are they doing until I learned about this game and that those off the wall spots were cache locations. Now I see that and I am like I'm on to you guys or I laugh and think ha good luck your not even in the right spot!! Usually honk and wave and they give me that dont mind us we are just on our cell phones or taking a picture look.

GCWE35

Lithia Duck Pond

icon_smile.gif February 17, 2007 by Thrak (2358 found)

Cache find #800. What a nice park. I was so glad to see that a new cache had been placed here since my last visit in May of 2006. My wife and I came here last year to see a play for our 34th anniversary and we came this time to see 2 plays as a Valentine's Day celebration. (Hey, we had to wait for the weekend!)

While logging this cache a person on a bicycle stopped and said, "Hey! I've been looking for that cache!" It was a nice guy named Charlie who said he caches with his son under the name of paphio. Always nice to meet a fellow cacher. He said that he and his son had a cache called North Mountain Park so we decided we would seek that one next.

I snagged Bullit's Bike Dog Geocoin and will move it along soon.

Many thanks for giving me such a great excuse to walk in this park again. It was a beautiful day and, in addition to about a zillion ducks on and around the pond, we enjoyed watching 3 turtles slowly swim to the side of the pond and laboriously climb up on rocks to sun themselves.

Last fall I went caching down a road, and hit a few right in a row, turned down a lane, and went for a couple down that way...ended up not finding those, so the next day I headed over there again, to try again, and hit more on down the lane. As I was driving, I saw a car pulled off in the *exact* spot where I had found a cache the day before...a couple adults and at least one kid. It was funny, the kid jumped and made an overly-exaggerated stance of "I'm not doing anything" look. I wanted to stop...but I was alone with my kids, and didn't think that was the safest thing to do, out in the country. lol (You just never know...)

I've never caught anyone caching, but I've had one person ask me if I was engaged in said activity. I simply answered yes. He said he'd been searching for the same cache in the area where I was looking for it, but had not found it yet. After we said our good-byes, I felt doubly motivated to find it then. Eventually I did. I just happened to look UP at the right moment and it caught my eye. I'm leaning towards sheer luck playing a part in finding it, since I'd been looking for quite some time already. I wished I'd been able to tell the stranger I found it. Give him some renewed hope.

Its fun bumping into others onto an FTF hunt, just as you walk back from the cache :anibad:

I recently saw someone else pull away with the FTF after I was racing for it!

I want to know where he got that GINORMOUS Geocache logo sticker for his side window!

All I can find is the little 3X3 stickers...

I know where the caches are that are along my route from home to work and back. Every trip I take a look and in the last 4 years I've only seen cachers at the caches on 3 occasions. 2 of those instances were on a newly published cache about a month ago. Originally I'd have guessed it would be far more common.

I was out with my kids one day looking for a micro on a tank. As we were looking my son said "Dad, someone is coming." We pretended to be looking at the tank. Then the guy asked if we had found the cache. I said no. We then saw his wife and kids with him. He said they come here every year and look for it. They had been coming for 3 years and had not found it yet. So we made some new friends and looked for it together. My youngest son found it. We all laughed and signed the log. It was a lot of fun.

I have on numerous occasions seen cachers looing for my caches. Or should I say I have seen their cars parked where the caches are locatd. Later I got the notifications they had found them. I think it's neat to meet other cachers while I am out. While caching in NJ with my wife and son just before he went to Iraq, we ran into some other cachers on their first cache. We looked with them and they actually found it first. It was really fun meeting them and helping them to understand this new sport. Keep looking folks and maybe someday you'll meet me on the trails.

My hide Your Flies down has been found 100 times now. It is off a road that runs in front of my neighborhood so I see people looking for it all the time. I have actually stopped 3 times and said hello to cachers who were looking. Funny, every time I stop to say hi they always look like they got caught doing something they shouldn't be!

There was one in Prague, Czech Republic that me and a friend found. Later that day, I was riding the tram home and saw a couple looking for it.

Another time, I was living with Mom and went to the city park to hang out. I was near a cache that I couldn't find a few months prior and noticed a couple looking for it. I told them that I couldn't find it. They found it and let me sign the log.

That's it...

My buddy and I were doing the cache You Lichen Goat Rock? (GCVRW7) which is in the back-country. It hadnt been found in over a year and its only been found 12 times since it was placed in '06. There was another car at the trail head when we got there and tracks running up through the wet grass. Oh yeah it was rainy and windy and not a very nice day in general. I checked the first cache on the rout and it turned out it was a fellow cacher and his wife that I actually knew so we spent the rest of the hike wondering if we would see them since there is no defined trail and we easily could have missed each other out there. We finally ran into them about 300ft from the cache as they were heading back down the mountain. They were all bundled up since the weather was getting worse at the moment but we were in our t-shirts from the long uphill climb so that was funny. It was just fun tracking them and finding them at a cache that is almost never visited, diffidently the last spot I thought we would find other cachers on a day like that.

On my way home from work today I drove by at least 10 caches that I can see from the road. At the 4th cache I saw a van parked and thought it must be a cacher so I pulled over and asked if he found the cache (I have already found that cache)he said yes we talked for 5 minutes and parted ways. I think its fun to meet cachers on the trail or at a cache site.

There's only one other cacher in my small town here. Aside from her, I've never met another cacher in person. 2 of the 4 caches in town are on my way to work - I drive by there several times a day, always taking a quick glance. One day I saw a hat bobbing around in the trees and I excitedly pulled in to introduce myself to the tourist cachers. They seemed a very nice couple, unfortuanately they were French speaking with minimal English. My French is horrible - even when I can remember the word, my accent renders it pretty much unregognizable. But I keep looking..people show up there on a regular basis come summertime.

Edited by Qbar

I was hiking past a cache of mine and saw someone near it. I yelled something like "Hey, what are you doing up there, you don't belong there" and startled the heck out of him. When I hike I'm usually wearing khaki pants and a forest green shirt or jacket and probably look remotely like a forest ranger. I approached him and he was acting very nervous and wouldn't admit to what he was doing until I laughed and told him it was my cache.

Another time I was driving along a local highway and saw a man and young girl wandering around. It made me think of geocaching because there was no other obvious reason for anybody to be wandering this spot next to a highway. I went home and did a cache search of the area and sure enough, there was a cache in that spot.