Luna 1651, 2011

GregsonVaux

It's time for a cointest!

I am getting low on my Luna stock and the Cataclysm edition is almost sold out. I didn't expect that one to sell as well as it did. What this means is that I am getting ready to do a remint and I would like to get input for a new edition.

This cointest will be like the one that I ran for the Dwarven Treasure coin. I will be posting an uncolored template and I would like you to fill in the colors. Please be creative in your choices! In addition to the colors, please provide a name for the edition. If you would like, a description of why you chose that name and how it goes with the color scheme will be appreciated. The sky is the limit for which colors can be used. I encourage people to use regular hard enamel, transparent, glass, glitter, glow, and pearl. In addition to the template, I am providing links to the color charts. Only the one side can be colored; the other side will be just the metal plating that you choose.

Here are the requirements for submissions:

- Entries must be posted to this thread with a picture showing what the final coin will look like along with the number description for each color and the plating to be used

- Only one submission each 24 hours

- See Dwarven Treasure cointest for examples of submissions starting at post #32 cointest examples

- Metal plating can be single or 2-tone

- Only the side with the labels will be colored with enamel. The topographic side will be just metal plating

- Solid copper is a valid metal choice

- The winner will receive a free coin

Here is the template

LunarMap10-25-2011Cointestsmall.jpg

Here are links to the color charts

Regular colors should include a RGB or Pantone designation. If you don't know what that means, I will explain.

Pearl Colors

Transparent Colors

Glow Colors

Glitter colors first set

Glitter colors second set

Glass color chart

The most important rule is: Have Fun!!

Edited by GregsonVaux

Here is my submission for a new Luna 1651,2011 coloration

LunacontestSubmission-BlueMoon-1.jpg

Using the old adage, "Once in a blue moon....", I decided to make the coloration primarily blue with a more traslucent darker blue for the seas and a lighter more opaque blue elsewhere. Thanks for the cointest

Edited to fix color swatch numbers

Edited by scificollector

LunacontestSubmission-BlueMoon.jpg

Using the old adage, "Once in a blue moon....", I decided to make the coloration primarily blue with a more traslucent darker blue for the seas and a lighter more opaque blue elsewhere. Thanks for the cointest

The blue moon is a great idea. One small problem, there is no c17 or A169 on the glass color chart.

If I were to match colors based on your descriptions, I would say C213, C214, or C250 for the seas The closest match for the land would be B453, B470, B450, C720, C719, or A 464.

Unfortunately, I have the advantage of having the actual color samples. Sometimes they look very different in real life than they do in the pictures.

LunacontestSubmission-BlueMoon.jpg

The blue moon is a great idea. One small problem, there is no c17 or A169 on the glass color chart.

If I were to match colors based on your descriptions, I would say C213, C214, or C250 for the seas The closest match for the land would be B453, B470, B450, C720, C719, or A 464.

Unfortunately, I have the advantage of having the actual color samples. Sometimes they look very different in real life than they do in the pictures.

Whoops....wrong numbers should be C217 and A469

Well, here is my submission. Is is called "Moonset" and shows an yellow/orange moon which can be seen when the moon is close to the horizont (just google "orange moon" and you find nice pictures). Even if you don't like glowing colors i and obviously most customers do (see Cataclysm version) so I choose the glowing colors 5 and 7 for it. Here it is:

moonsetxu5ibjp8k4.jpg[/img]

edited to add: black nickel finish

Edited by yanagi

Well, here is my submission. Is is called "Moonset" and shows an yellow/orange moon which can be seen when the moon is close to the horizont (just google "orange moon" and you find nice pictures). Even if you don't like glowing colors i and obviously most customers do (see Cataclysm version) so I choose the glowing colors 5 and 7 for it. Here it is:

moonsetxu5ibjp8k4.jpg[/img]

edited to add: black nickel finish

You're right. The Cataclysm version made it abundantly clear to me that people like glow colors.

One more thing, I am always amazed at how people can come up with ideas that would never occur to me. If the rest of the submissions are this good, I may end up going with several winners and several new editions.

Here is my second submission.

Whenever I look at the moon the Apollo programm comes into my mind. Such an incredible achievement of mankind to send humans to the moon. When I read about this cointest I wanted to submit an APOLLO version and choose the colors of the NASA logo that I found.

Here is my APOLLO version:

apollo112b7guzyjlx.jpg

I think for that version glas colors fits the best so I choose:

Blue: C358

Red: A227

Metal: polished nickel (represents the white of the logo)

and here is the NASA logo:

nasalogoohdlwntgxr.jpg

Edited by yanagi

huh.... I wish there was a colour that makes rainbow colours... in pearl....

so... when you turn it... it will make the rainbow colours... the other would be in a blue-green glow... is that the 3 (in glow)?

I would name it ....."The Rainbow moonstone".... this stone exist!!!

ckick here to see what I am talking about.... wouldn't that be great.... in a pearl colour???

http://mineralminers.com/html/moogems.stm

huh.... I wish there was a colour that makes rainbow colours... in pearl....

so... when you turn it... it will make the rainbow colours... the other would be in a blue-green glow... is that the 3 (in glow)?

I would name it ....."The Rainbow moonstone".... this stone exist!!!

ckick here to see what I am talking about.... wouldn't that be great.... in a pearl colour???

http://mineralminers.com/html/moogems.stm

In post #55, click on the following link

Glitter colors second set

Scroll all the way to the bottom and look at the last two colors. Those might be sort of what you are looking for, but nothing is going to come even close to the beauty of real rainbow moonstones.

Edited by GregsonVaux

WOW!!! I haven't seen that! hmm... I am wondering if the rainbow is actually changing colours.... so it can come close to the rainbow moonstone!

Yes! the stones are amazing! I have seen some from close.... to find a clear one with many colours like that is not so easy... usually they have a dull white and glass... colour... but if you find a rainbow moonstone that is clear and with that rainbow colours... it is like you are really holding a piece of the moon! ;)

hmm... I will try to make a drawing... but I only have the microsoft drawing... so it may not be easy.... colours are limited there... and the result will not be nice... hmmm howI will use the colours in that program? huh! :(

if I can not do it....... what I have in mind is the glitter colour "Rainbow" for the land... and for the seas... hmm.. I am between glow 3 and pearl 20 or 12...... huh.... it is not easy to choose.... maybe pearl 20 will look better.... ;)

I do not know how it will look if you put glow and rainbow together.... maybe the blue-green glow will look more green... and maybe it will not look too nice... so... I will probably say... Pearl 20 (the blue) for the seas...

and the rainbow moonstone version will be ready! :D

oh I forgot... you need a metal version too? Well... the only one that comes in my mind is... a silver moon... but will the names on the coin... look good in silver...when they will be in these colours? is it possible that the coin will be in silver (satin!!!) nd the names in black nickel? No right?

I do not know much of making coins so...

Also something else.... in the design.... some parts that show like islands... in the sea or in the land are meteorite marks and the damage they did when the fell right?

Can these be coloured differently? with a glow (the glow 3, or a yellow glow..) or not?

do you know? if the metal is raised there and has borders... it may be done but....I am not a maker... so... :laughing:

Edited by GATOULIS

OK, here is another one: it's called: PSYCHODELIC MOON :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

psychoelicmeb903zgwu.jpg

Finish: Solid Copper

With this I think I would choose Pearl Colors though I have no clue if that fits:

yellow: 5

green: 17

light blue: 20

dark blue: 15

orange: 10

red: 21

Thanks for this great cointest. Today my 8 year old son designed a Luna version too which I will submit tomorrow (he just have to find the color numbers and finish :) )

I tried but I can not make a photo to see it.... I have it in my mind but...

what I have in mind is the glitter colour "Rainbow" for the meteorite craters... and for the seas.... Pearl 20 (the blue) for the seas...

also....where there are land... to be in glow yellow if this is possible... Now which one... I do not know how they all glow... especially the ones I see as white... so I will say golw number 4

I will call this version in a greek name if that is ok with you! :) I will call it... Σεληνόφως.

it is an ancient greek word and it comes from Selini (moon) and Fos (light) so it actually means Moonlight! :D

once again I would love to see that in black nickel... or satin silver.... but in this version... I beleive black nickel will fit better! the round metal will actually represent space! ;)

in case you want the Σεληνόφως writen in latin letters... it is Selinofos

in case you do not like the Selinofos.... How about Φεγγαρόφωτο? In latin letters it is Fegarofoto and it is an other greek word that means moonlight! It comes from Feggari (moon and it actually means... that is lights...just because it gives its light in the dark so we can see...) and Fos... ;)B)

Edited by GATOULIS

As my daddy (yanagi) already posted I (8 years old) did a Luna version by myself. I call it:

CRATERLIGHT:

larsenxv9b1wph.jpg

I chose the following colors:

Light Blue: Transparent 21

Dark Blue: Transparent 8

Yellow: Glow 5

Finish: Black Nickel

Thanks for this great cointest. Now I know how to use the paint programm

As my daddy (yanagi) already posted I (8 years old) did a Luna version by myself. I call it:

CRATERLIGHT:

larsenxv9b1wph.jpg

I chose the following colors:

Light Blue: Transparent 21

Dark Blue: Transparent 8

Yellow: Glow 5

Finish: Black Nickel

Thanks for this great cointest. Now I know how to use the paint programm

Fisch03,

Thanks for the entry and welcome to the group! You are going to be very happy that you learned how to use the paint software. You will be able to take a lot of the ideas in your head and put them onto paper in a way that looks professional.

Is the cointest over? :)

I am wondering if my entries were valid... I couldn't do the picture... :(

Hi,

Yes, the cointest is over and I am still consulting with the judges.

Sadly, your entries were not valid. I really need to see what the coins will look like to decide which is the best to put into production. On the positive side, these design cointests work so well that I will most likely have another one in the future, so you will get another chance. If you want to learn how to color in the graphics, I suggest starting with software called "paint.net". It is different and much better than the paint software that comes with Windows computers. Here is a link that you can use to download it for free.

free paint.net download

If you have problems using the software, I can give a few brief tips.

The entries were good, so making the final decision was difficult for all of the judges; however a winner did emerge and it is "Moonrise" by Yanagi. The original name was Moonset, but he and I decided that the new name still implied that the moon is on the horizon but was a bit more positive.

moonsetxu5ibjp8k4.jpg

Congratulations on a job well done!

It is possible that there will also be a second place coin made, but that decision is not yet final. If there is a second place winner, that person will also receive a free copy of their coin.

I'm very proud to be the winner of this cointest. It was a lot of fun to play with the colors and I'm really looking forward to have this version in the display of our living room. I love to switch out the light when I go to bed and have a last look on the glowing coins there. This will be a great addition to them :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for this cointest!!!

I have placed the order for more Luna geocoins. There will be more Cataclysm and Eclipse editions since they were so popular and there will be the new Moonrise coins. I will also be introducing two limited editions that will be limited to thirty coins each with no remints ever. At thirty coins, they might be best described as XLE coins, or we could say a coin that you will only run into once in a blue moon. That's right, the first XLE will be "Blue Moon" as designed by Scificollector and he will be receiving a complimentary copy. The second XLE will be a mystery edition. The name and color scheme will not be revealed until those who order them begin to receive them in the mail. I hope people find that arrangement fun.

I have placed the order for more Luna geocoins. There will be more Cataclysm and Eclipse editions since they were so popular and there will be the new Moonrise coins. I will also be introducing two limited editions that will be limited to thirty coins each with no remints ever. At thirty coins, they might be best described as XLE coins, or we could say a coin that you will only run into once in a blue moon. That's right, the first XLE will be "Blue Moon" as designed by Scificollector and he will be receiving a complimentary copy. The second XLE will be a mystery edition. The name and color scheme will not be revealed until those who order them begin to receive them in the mail. I hope people find that arrangement fun.

Very cool! I'm quite honored to have my entry designated to be made into reality. Thanks Gregsonvaux! I'm eagerly awaiting pictures of the new editions.

The remint is in with three new editions and two reissues:

Moonrise - new edition

Blue Moon - XLE of 30 coins; 26 will be sold

Mystery Edition - XLE of 30 coins; 26 will be sold

Cataclysm - The first minting of this one sold out quickly

Eclipse - This one was also in high demand and sold out

I'll have some pictures tomorrow and then will get them up for sale on my web site.

The remint is in with three new editions and two reissues:

Moonrise - new edition

Blue Moon - XLE of 30 coins; 26 will be sold

Mystery Edition - XLE of 30 coins; 26 will be sold

Cataclysm - The first minting of this one sold out quickly

Eclipse - This one was also in high demand and sold out

I'll have some pictures tomorrow and then will get them up for sale on my web site.

Great! Looking forward to seeing the photos (....it should hold me over until the ones I plan to purchase arrive in my mailbox :lol: )

Here are the two photos that I can show you:

BlueMoonbothsidessmall.jpg

This is the Blue Moon edition. Only 30 of these XLEs were made so they will indeed be as rare as what they depict. They feature a light blue opaque glass and a dark blue transparent glass fused onto satin nickel. I am extra fond of the glass enamel coins (cloisonne), because they are infinitely more durable than the epoxy enamel used on most coins.

MoonRisebothsidessmall.jpg

I was won over to the charms of glow coins when I saw how quickly the last glow-in-the-dark Luna coin sold out. This one is just spectacular (Thanks for the idea Yanagi). I am now kicking myself for not taking a picture of it glowing because it even glows in two different and brilliant colors.

I'm pretty busy right now, so I am not sure when I will have these for sale at my website, but it should be in the next few days.

The new editions are now in stock at my web store and some sold out editions are now back in stock including Cataclysm (glow in the dark), Eclipse, and the Luna sets. They can be found at the following link:

Luna Geocoins

Please note that the sets contain the five previous editions and not the three new ones.

Edited by GregsonVaux

Due to the enthusiastic response for the limited editions from some buyers, I will need to limit the number of LEs that I sell to any one person. I will not be selling any more than three of any one LE to one person. In other words, you can buy three Blue Moons and three Mystery editions, but no more. Any additional orders will be refunded.

Sorry about that.

My cointest prize coin arrived yesterday. Wow, this glowing coin is spectacular!! I'm very proud of that one!

I really like glowing coins. I have a section in my displays where I placed a few of them and when I go to bed and switch out the light I enjoy the last view on these. Of course I've put the Luna Moonrise coin in that section and it is really outshining all of them. Here a picture of it glowing:

lunazpvw1cilko.jpg

Thank you very much for the cointest and for picking this version!

My cointest prize coin arrived yesterday. Wow, this glowing coin is spectacular!! I'm very proud of that one!

I really like glowing coins. I have a section in my displays where I placed a few of them and when I go to bed and switch out the light I enjoy the last view on these. Of course I've put the Luna Moonrise coin in that section and it is really outshining all of them. Here a picture of it glowing:

lunazpvw1cilko.jpg

Thank you very much for the cointest and for picking this version!

You really did come up with a good color scheme. You will notice that I did not limit the edition, so it could be reminted in the future, although it would have a later year stamped on it.