Southern California Hikes

TheLoneGrangers

Hello all! I grew up in southern cali and lived there till i was 20 years old. I am not 35 and plan on coming back for 10 days starting the second week in April. I wasn't really into the outdoors then, and now that I am, I'd like to take my wife to the 3 main different climates too find some geocaches. I'm looking for some good places for day hikes, in the mountains, the desert, and the coast. Now sure, I've been to all those places, but never hiked them. I'm looking for easy to moderate hikes, no more then 10 miles round trip, probably 5-7 miles for the mountains. I was thinking somewhere up in Big Bear or San Jacinto for a mountain hike...and maybe the Mojave desert or Joshua Tree for some desert ones....and really the only place I can think of that's coastal would be near San Diego? I may not be able to find a nice coastal hike in Southern Cali, probably central or higher. Thanks for your help!

Wanted to add that trail heads need to be accessible by 2wd vehicle, can't bring my Jeep on the plane =(

Edited by TheLoneGrangers

Hello all! I grew up in southern cali and lived there till i was 20 years old. I am not 35 and plan on coming back for 10 days starting the second week in April. I wasn't really into the outdoors then, and now that I am, I'd like to take my wife to the 3 main different climates too find some geocaches. I'm looking for some good places for day hikes, in the mountains, the desert, and the coast. Now sure, I've been to all those places, but never hiked them. I'm looking for easy to moderate hikes, no more then 10 miles round trip, probably 5-7 miles for the mountains. I was thinking somewhere up in Big Bear or San Jacinto for a mountain hike...and maybe the Mojave desert or Joshua Tree for some desert ones....and really the only place I can think of that's coastal would be near San Diego? I may not be able to find a nice coastal hike in Southern Cali, probably central or higher. Thanks for your help!

Wanted to add that trail heads need to be accessible by 2wd vehicle, can't bring my Jeep on the plane =(

The Placerita Nature Center is a great place, with lots of caches. http://www.placerita.org/

Torrey Pines State Park is a great place for a coastal hike. Not a lot of caches, though. Have fun!

D!

Mission Trails Regional Park (MTRP) head to Cowles Mountain on the corner of Golfcrest and Navajo there was a cache war within MTRP and there a hundreds of caches throughout the park.

But beware the Rattlesankes are coming out now and there was a cacher bit a couple of days ago and we still don't know who he is or his status