Ideas for MacGyver Cache?

Mom-n-Andy

I'd like to create a cache in the spirt of the old MacGyver TV show. The concept is to have 2 parts - a field puzzle of some sort and a large ammo box stuffed with apparent junk. The cacher would need to use the junk to create a "tool" to solve the puzzle and retrieve the log. The ammo box would be hidden within 30 feet of the field puzzle. The idea is be that the solution would not be obvious so the cacher would have to use some creativity in figuring out a solution.

I have a few ideas but would like to make this as creative and interesting as possible. This might even be a multi-stage or series if I get more than one good idea. Do you have any suggestions or ideas about puzzles or tools that would be appropriate for this theme?

Have seen caches with secreted log books, similar basic principle as you describe except that the log book is still in the cache, just in a secret compartment therein.

Problem is... many can't guess or figure out just where the log book is, so they simply sign and drop a piece of paper -- regardless of the fact that the cache page tells them that they need to locate and sign the log book.

This brings up the question: What do you do about those that practice the above, rather than actually finding the log book and properly signing same? Delete their online log/find?

If you delete the log/find, they have a legitimate argument/appeal that they did find the cache.

If you do not delete the log/find -- what is the point of the cache?

I like the idea, but have avoided doing like hides because of that quandary. I would like to see other responses to see if there would really be a satisfactory solution.

Good luck to you.

While I have never encountered one myself, I believe this would fall into the realm of a "gadget cache".

Honestly, I think if you stipulate that the actual log must be signed and just be consistent about deleting logs that do not comply, then it is no different than people who think they find the final stage in a multi and just sign and drop a log there. I would list it as a mystery cache, definitely and just be strict about it.

Have seen caches with secreted log books, similar basic principle as you describe except that the log book is still in the cache, just in a secret compartment therein.

Problem is... many can't guess or figure out just where the log book is, so they simply sign and drop a piece of paper -- regardless of the fact that the cache page tells them that they need to locate and sign the log book.

This brings up the question: What do you do about those that practice the above, rather than actually finding the log book and properly signing same? Delete their online log/find?

If you delete the log/find, they have a legitimate argument/appeal that they did find the cache.

If you do not delete the log/find -- what is the point of the cache?

I like the idea, but have avoided doing like hides because of that quandary. I would like to see other responses to see if there would really be a satisfactory solution.

Good luck to you.

I would do something like this for two reasons - it would be fun for me to put together and it would be fun for the cachers who figure out the puzzle and do the cache in the intended way. In my area people who don't enjoy puzzle caches tend to ignore anything with the ? cache type, or else do the cache with a group, which would be fine with me. I've seen very few cases of what you've described. I might use a cache page puzzle of some type so they have to figure the coords first. That usually eliminates people who just want smileys.

Sounds like it would be a fun one to do.

There was a good puzzle cache in Geneva by the U.N. that sounds a little similar, but the tool was already provided.

First you had to solve a puzzle using different flags on the cache page to figure out the coordinates, then when you get there you have to find a screwdriver hidden somewhere held by magnets. Then you have to find a camouflaged container nearby and unscrew it to open the cache.

It was one of my favourite caches and was fun to work out and find - and much better than a regular small or micro city cache.

I might use a cache page puzzle of some type so they have to figure the coords first. That usually eliminates people who just want smileys.

You can set it up as a series. So the box with the MacGuyver parts has a log book to sign. And if the cachers assemble the parts and find the Final, they get another smiley.

I'd second the "duct tape" suggestion. And most people will have extra "AA" batteries on hand, so you could make use of that (even if it's just used for weight).

Yes, you'll get "replacement" logs from those who don't solve the puzzle correctly. But just be sure to check for this regularly.

Another technique that can help is to make the actual cache with the log separate from the large ammo can stuffed with junk. Those who claim to have found the cache will be wrong. All they found was the ammo can. If you're clear that stage 1 is a field puzzle, stage 2 is an ammo can with another field puzzle to retrieve the actual cache, and the actual cache is a small container, then everyone doing this mystery/puzzle cache should understand that they're looking for the final after they find the ammo can.

I might use a cache page puzzle of some type so they have to figure the coords first. That usually eliminates people who just want smileys.

You can set it up as a series. So the box with the MacGuyver parts has a log book to sign. And if the cachers assemble the parts and find the Final, they get another smiley.

I'd second the "duct tape" suggestion. And most people will have extra "AA" batteries on hand, so you could make use of that (even if it's just used for weight).

A good idea IMO. And it might get more seekers to try your cache(s) too.

Sounds like a fun cache.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I've done a similar cache. One stage of the multi presented the finder with a large ammobox full of various items like string, duck tape, 8 inch dowels, fishing line, gum, molding clay, etc and a laminated card with the final coordinates some 50 feet away.

At the cache location was 3 different 5 foot high metal pipe (obviously been there for years) with an 6 inch opening on top. The cache was located some 6 foot down in one of them - painted black. Just getting a flashlight to see it was difficult enough. I got it on my 3rd return visit with my own tools.

Why not use the "junk" in a way no one expects. Use a permanent marker on them to write numbers. They have to select the right "junk" in the right order to get the coords to the log. In addition you could secure a key to one of the pieces of "junk" (or even a couple of pieces and only one would be the correct key). This would unlock the padlock on the final ammo can with the log. You would of course have to add clues on the cache page to help them figure out the "right junk".

Yes, you'll get "replacement" logs from those who don't solve the puzzle correctly. But just be sure to check for this regularly.

Another technique that can help is to make the actual cache with the log separate from the large ammo can stuffed with junk. Those who claim to have found the cache will be wrong. All they found was the ammo can. If you're clear that stage 1 is a field puzzle, stage 2 is an ammo can with another field puzzle to retrieve the actual cache, and the actual cache is a small container, then everyone doing this mystery/puzzle cache should understand that they're looking for the final after they find the ammo can.

We have a puzzle cache here that also involves a "puzzle in the field" and as I read this quote I thought of our local cache. People have claimed it as a find, not realizing they have to SOLVE the puzzle in the field to get to the final cache.

So I agree with niraD that it would be to everyone's advantage if you'd be very very clear on the cache what the stages are and what is expected so false "found it" claims can be avoided.

Do something electrical that uses a battery that is commonly found in a GPS, like a AA cell battery. Have the battery from the GPS control a DC motor which brings the cache out from hiding. The only thing is that the geocacher just needs to remove their battery. :)

I would really enjoy a cache like that. As an owner however I would worry that a clueless (pun intended) cacher who thought they found the final ammo can would trade for one of the items required to retrieve the actual final. But if you can make it work it sounds great.

I had one that was somewhat akin to your idea, but I gave the cacher a list of tools to bring that were needed to make the find. It was a multi-stage cache where the first stage was a film can hidden inside a hollow I made in a small log. I sliced the log in half on a table saw, made the hollow, and fastened it back together with a couple of screws. The film can held the coordinates to the 2nd stage, which was another film can fastened in a hollow knothole in another log. They needed tweezers to retrieve the coordinates. These led to the 3rd stage, an ammo can bolted shut, and they needed a pair of wrenches to open it. I got some very good comments from people, but I had bug problems with the first 2 stages. Ants got into them and nested there. I tried putting moth balls in them, but they often got dropped when people made the find. I eventually archived the cache.

There's an old one here in Michigan where you need to bring at last a quart or 2 of water to the first stage in order to make it give up the location of the 2nd stage. I had heard of this style before, so the find wasn't too difficult.

I'm trying to put together a multi-stage "gadget" cache. I'm trying to gather some clever ideas for each stage. I am going to ask each cacher to bring a set of "tools or gadgets with them." I'll list the things necessary to bring on the web page.

Some of the ideas I have encountered are

1. the coords to the next cache written so you have to use a mirror to read them,

2. something that floats with the coords on it, in a large tube that you have to bring water to get the objective to float up ( of course holding your finger on a small hole in the bottom of tube to drain the water when your done),

3. Do something with a magnetic, place a small cache tube with a magnet glued to it, in a plastic plumbing pipe and use a magnetic to retrieve it.

Do you have any ideas of common things that your be used to make and interesting retrieval or and interesting piece of a multi ? I would love to hear your ideas.

I've seen elevated caches where a tool was required, and the owner provided a tool near the cache. I've also seen elevated caches where no tool was provided, and it was up to cache seekers to figure out what sort of tool to bring and how to use it.

I've heard of electrical devices that required the cache seekers to provide batteries: touch the batteries to the metal contacts to enable the device.

I've heard of open WiFi networks being used. You had to bring a device that could detect the WiFi network, and possibly even connect to a system on the WiFi network.

I've seen caches that required seekers to bring UV lights, to reveal writing/symbols written in fluorescent ink/paint. This could be a night cache, or finding a dark place to use the UV light could be part of the challenge.

I think I can use the elevated cache idea. Thanks ....... Maybe I can tell them to bring and eye hook and they can make there own Hook-like tool on the spot.

Any idea where I could find your electrical device you referred to?

Wifi is out, this is will be in State forest lands.

Yes, you're looking to do a gadget cache...very cool. Remember to include an inventory of each item necessary for the "gadget". Otherwise it gets frusterating when the finder is helplessly flailing and doesn't know why. Also an instruction indicating that if the tool bag is missing that someone else is most likely using it. Have fun!

The electrical devices I've heard of have been homemade by the cache owners. Basically, anything that you can design that is battery powered might work: flash lights that indicate the coordinates of the next stage (possibly encoded somehow), play an audio file that indicates the coordinates of the next stage (possibly encoded somehow), run a motor that provides access to the next part of the puzzle, etc.

I like the idea of the voice recorder. Record the coords to the next stage, but leave out the batteries. They must put 2 AA's in the recorder to get the coords for the next stage. Now, we just have to hope no one steals the recorder. I found one listed at Walmart for $20. thanks for that idea.

I like the idea of the voice recorder. Record the coords to the next stage, but leave out the batteries. They must put 2 AA's in the recorder to get the coords for the next stage. Now, we just have to hope no one steals the recorder. I found one listed at Walmart for $20. thanks for that idea.

Radio Shack carries a voice recorder module for around $10 USD. You can put it in a plastic box and mount that in an ammo box. It's a good idea to remove the "record" button so someone can't inadvertently record over your message. People have been known to put these in ammo boxes with a switch that activates the sound when the box is opened. :-)

I'd like to create a cache in the spirt of the old MacGyver TV show. The concept is to have 2 parts - a field puzzle of some sort and a large ammo box stuffed with apparent junk. The cacher would need to use the junk to create a "tool" to solve the puzzle and retrieve the log. The ammo box would be hidden within 30 feet of the field puzzle. The idea is be that the solution would not be obvious so the cacher would have to use some creativity in figuring out a solution.

I have a few ideas but would like to make this as creative and interesting as possible. This might even be a multi-stage or series if I get more than one good idea. Do you have any suggestions or ideas about puzzles or tools that would be appropriate for this theme?

Didn't read the thread, but I have an idea.

First off let me say that I watched exactly 2 episodes of that show. In the second episode MacGruber (intentional misspeeling) stripped the wires off of a detonator and plugged it into a cactus to blow up the bad guys. Feh... I checked out for good.

Maybe you could do a 5 star difficulty cache using potatos to unlock the cache. It could be done.

potato_battery.jpgdetail.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

First off let me say that I watched exactly 2 episodes of that show. In the second episode MacGruber (intentional misspeeling) stripped the wires off of a detonator and plugged it into a cactus to blow up the bad guys. Feh... I checked out for good.

Maybe you could do a 5 star difficulty cache using potatos to unlock the cache. It could be done.

Love the potato pics! The cache writeup would say "special equipment required: 10 pound bag of potatoes".

Love the potato pics! The cache writeup would say "special equipment required: 10 pound bag of potatoes".

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. CONGRATULATIONS! You have unlocked the first level achievement of Snooganicity. ( Snooganicity: The sudden realization that you are thinking like Snoogans.)

I've seen one online that you needed a battery to activate a DC motor and this thread has me thinking too...

1. Diode the battery connection so you have to use 2 x 1.5v batteries to activate the motor

2. only make it so the batteries have to be in series and tools to make them work

3. in a "tube?" make it so a "switch" has to make connections with X amount of water, too much stalls the connections as does too little

4. instead of a motor activate a "voice" or digital display with the next coords to another gadget?

Draw backs I see so far...

If you need tape from site A to do site B then you will have to make sure there is tape there! How do you stop the last cacher from grabbing the whole roll. This applies to any consumable i.e. aluminum foil, tape, string...

I'll continue as I think of things good or bad...

May the creative concur!!

oh my... that sound great but ...that might be to hard for me. Plus I really want maintenance free caches as much as I can.

I did buy my invisible ink today, so on one stage I will write the coords to the next stage in invisible ink. Easy but fun.

My favorite (and only true) MacGuyver cache was as follows:

It was a multi.

Stage one had the co-ordinates to stage 2, a magnet, a piece of nylon string, and a foam donut inside a small (2" diameter) Tupperware container. There may have been other useless items in the container...I don't remember.

Stage 2 was at a trail junction nearby, with a signpost made from some 4" iron pipe driven into the ground...guess where the container was?

To retrieve it, you needed to attach the magnet to the string, thread the string through a small hole in the bottom of the Tupperware container, put the foam ring around the outside of the Tupperware and lower the assembly down the pipe to become attached to the plastic container with steel washers glued to it. If you didn't assemble it properly, the magnet would stick to the pipe on the way down and foil your attempt.