Do you usually cache by yourself?

BikeDH

usually by myself as I always have time for myself, but sometimes, when I can, will go with friends. However, I often just do 1 cache a day and its hard to have friends who want to go to just that one cache and the time I want. To cache with friends, have to plan in advance on the rare days I want to be more adventurous and have more time.

We got into caching as a way to spend time together, so we never cache separately. As far as other cachers, we've only gone as a large group once, but look to do it more often. Well, once, Kesara brought her best friend along, but she was a muggle then, so we're not sure it counts... It was her first few finds, so that was pretty cool to experience from the other side of things...

I used to cache alone mainly. But since the baby was born, my chances to go caching are so infrequent that I usually want to make it either a really good, tough terrained cache, or a fun day that involves finding several in an area. So these days it's mostly with friends I've made that like to geocache the way that I do.

We're a team but I do most of the caches as a single while traveling to and from my work.

I much prefer caching with someone else as it's nice to share the experience with someone.

Same here, and its also fun to run into other cachers along the way! Always good to know the secret geocachers handshake.

Usually alone but happy to take someone along. I normally cache over the lunch hour and a co-worker who also cached would often tag along. He eventually fell away from the game so back to mainly caching alone.

If I could have a choice I would probably split it 50/50. Sometimes alone, sometimes with another. Both are enjoyable.

I never cache alone...there is always me and the voices in my head...occasionally there are voices with me that aren't in my head...they are usually a couple of the hordlings...but the voices in my head are still there....usually telling me to be more careful cause there are outside voices with me...lol...the voices in me head aren't so reasonable when there aren't voices outside my head...

so...i think i am hearing things and seeing voices :P

My other 2/3rds and I have different schedules, so caching together is rare. It'll be worse when/if she ever goes on another shift.

She does C&Ds, I don't. So she knows that the few times we're together are hikes, or at least, longer walks. She's fine with those too.

I rarely go with other cachers. Maybe if the terrain is a true "5".

Most styles are so different than mine, I don't have fun and that's the reason for heading out in the first place - to have fun and relax.

I don't PQ hides and may spend the entire day on one find. Most these days want to "get 'em all".

- Not usually a good fit. So I cache by myself.

I generally cache by myself and the Geo-Beast (combining an extra walk for her with my hobby!). Sometimes my Geo-Partner-In-Crime and I cache around to explore places we're travelling in (great thing to get to know a new city, town, area or to break up a long drive!) and sometimes I take the Geo-Stepdaughter, who is learning to drive so it combines great driving practice for her and also we get to hunt on the way!

I cache alone about 90% of the time, but that's because I'm in graduate school in Indiana, and I'm too timid to ask anyone to go with me. Frankly, I don't like caching alone much--but it ironically does take my mind off of how lonely graduate school is.

When I go to Texas, where my family and girlfriend are, I always cache with others--never alone.

I am a teenager so I usually just ask my parents if I can go and find a cache while we are out somewhere. They don't exactly "like" it so they don't usually get out help me find it. They are fine with it but never act like it could actually be a hobby of mine. They bought me a nice (cheap) 80 dollar gps for my birthday but over the course of one or two years I have only found 30 caches. If I had my own car and could go out by myself I probably would've found about 200 by now. I mean...its okay but its kind of awkward especially around my sister. The first time that I went geocaching (my grandparents told us about it) me and my sister and my went to go find a few that were near our house. We found our first two and my sister and I were really excited about it. But then we went and we couldn't find some other ones because we only had a car gps. And ever since then my sister has thought it is kind of dumb.

I always wonder how other people know each other so well (like they always say I went on a cache run with this person and him and her and that person)...I guess they just meet each other at events, but my parents would probably never take me to one of those.

I wish there was some way I could make my family like geocaching or just for it to be less awkward around them.

Edited by jacob501

I never cache alone...there is always me and the voices in my head...occasionally there are voices with me that aren't in my head...they are usually a couple of the hordlings...but the voices in my head are still there....usually telling me to be more careful cause there are outside voices with me...lol...the voices in me head aren't so reasonable when there aren't voices outside my head...

so...i think i am hearing things and seeing voices :P

I've heard that about you. :)

I have never cached alone, though I am new. I always go with my husband. He enjoys caching as well but he's not as into it as I am. I don't feel like I would enjoy caching alone. Firstly I hard driving and my husband nearly always has the car if I'm not with him. There aren't any caches within walking distance of my home. Also I think it is much more interesting to cache with someone else. We can both look and have fun together. I want to get other people involved and go caching with them too. I already got my mother, her boyfriend, and a coworker into it so far, but I haven't been with any of them yet.

I find a cache while with family members about 1 in 75 caches. I like to cache with other geocachers but my trips are fairly spontaneous so it's too difficult to ask other people to come along. Plus the most prolific cachers (who I'd be inviting along) have generally already visited the caches by the time I get there.

It depends on my mood. If I want to do some "serious" caching (Find it and move on to the next, as quickly as possible) I go on my own. If I want to cache, but don't plan on making any strides in my smiley count, I'll grab some buddies and go. We goof around, crack jokes, and so on....all depends on what I am looking to do for the day.

I'd say most of the time I am alone, my wife has zero interest and will not join me. Luckily my older son, 10, enjoys it so he'll go with me sometimes. My 5 yr old has a much shorter patience for it and can only handle 2 or 3 max, and they'd better be large ammo cans with toys or it's over. My sister, however, loves it. Whenever she and I can get together to cache we do, but living in different cities makes it hard. Her spouse isn't into it either so both my relationship with geocaching and my sister's is much like a secret affair. We both have to sneak out to geocache. I know most of you find that disturbing or shocking, the very idea of having to sneak around to be able to get some geocaching time in, but there are those of us out there that have to live like this. Repressed Geocachers, I should start a club...errr, support group.

The majority of my finds have been solo but I've cached with a friend on a number of occasions. I cache with my wife when traveling and sometimes she'll plan a caching trip to the countryside for us to do on a weekend. She loves to get out in the country whether it's a moderate hike in the woods or just tooling around the back roads to see what's there. She wont' go caching with me in our home town though - it holds no interest for her. Caching in the country is a different thing. We're planning an Alaskan cruise for later this year and we'll be adding Alaska to our list of states cached. There's also a port call in Victoria, BC so I'm hoping we can find a cache there as well. My wife is fun to cache with and she's darn good at finding them.

The majority of my finds have been solo but I've cached with a friend on a number of occasions. I cache with my wife when traveling and sometimes she'll plan a caching trip to the countryside for us to do on a weekend. She loves to get out in the country whether it's a moderate hike in the woods or just tooling around the back roads to see what's there. She wont' go caching with me in our home town though - it holds no interest for her. Caching in the country is a different thing. We're planning an Alaskan cruise for later this year and we'll be adding Alaska to our list of states cached. There's also a port call in Victoria, BC so I'm hoping we can find a cache there as well. My wife is fun to cache with and she's darn good at finding them.

There are quite a few caches in Victoria, BC close to where the cruise ships dock at Ogden Point. How long are you in town for? If you want any help re distance, nice viewpoints, etc., let me know!