Saying "hi" from Norfolk

xMISSYx

Hi, I discoverd all this afew days ago by complete accident, been lurking, having a read, trying to understand all the findables, trackables and everything else...bit confusing LOL...but with a little "nudge" from my 11 yr old who is finding all this a bit exciting, I registered to find out a bit more as I searched my local area and there are tons of them hidden within 6 miles radius of our house, and some specifically for children....

Hopfully with a it more "knowhow" we will be posting our 1st find soon....wish us luck :rolleyes:

Hi, I discoverd all this afew days ago by complete accident, been lurking, having a read, trying to understand all the findables, trackables and everything else...bit confusing LOL...but with a little "nudge" from my 11 yr old who is finding all this a bit exciting, I registered to find out a bit more as I searched my local area and there are tons of them hidden within 6 miles radius of our house, and some specifically for children....

Hopfully with a it more "knowhow" we will be posting our 1st find soon....wish us luck :rolleyes:

Hello - I'm also a newbie from Norfolk. Been caching for just a few weeks and loving every minute. Its fantastic isn't it? My 8 year old daughter loves it too!

Kids???

Eh???

:blink:

Great for this 37 year old kid too!!! :laughing:

Still as addicted as I was after my first find 6 years ago... and still astounded by the number of amazing friends I've made through finding a bit of tupperware in the woods!!!

And this 48 year old kid as well, heh-heh!

Hi

Im in Norfolk as well,(near Kings Lynn) been caching about 3 years and by no means an expert, but if you need any help please shout.

Thank you Redeeps I appreciate that, I'm near Wroxham and looking at the maps there are lots of theses all around my area...Looking forward to finding some :D

Sue and Bernie in Dereham, Norfolk, formerly lived at RAF Coltishall.

We're knocking on bus-passes and have been caching for 10 years now, all round the world - you're never far from a cache!

In fact, in some ways, there are too many caches placed far too close together in a chain (rather than a old-fashioned multi-stage single cache). You tend to get a bit fed up stopping every 5 mins to do the admin. You'll find out what I mean.

However, there are some very good chains/series round your way, well spaced out to provide a good walk, varied caches and hides and some quite difficult to find! You're spoiled for choice!

...and you're right that the game appeals across the ages, even our most modern young relatives like to go caching rather that a simple walk.

Enjoy!...

Sue and Bernie

Thank you Sue & Bernie, I couldn't beleive how many there were till I started playing around with the maps....Now I just need a good LEGAL APP on my phone untill I get a proper GPS and I dont think my car satnav will do it

Hi im in stalham 53 i use the os maps,makes things a bit more interesting.

It will teach the kids map reading skills too.

Have you tried canoeing? Wayford to Dillham on a summers day !!!

Happy caching.

Thank you Sue & Bernie, I couldn't beleive how many there were till I started playing around with the maps....Now I just need a good LEGAL APP on my phone untill I get a proper GPS and I dont think my car satnav will do it

We normally use a Garmin GPS with Topo 2 installed to guide us by car and then foot to caches. On my Nokia 5800 phone, I have "Geocache Navigator" from Trimble. We use this for opportunity caching - it is much more inaccurate under cover but very handy being live on-line. This programme can be installed in a large number of phones - it costs but it's handy.

Last year GN got us a rare FTF as the phone displayed a cache nearby that was not featured in our downloads. By a fluke, we beat all the local cachers to it - even more interesting because we're not FTF fanatics.

Hi there, we're fair weather cachers who enjoy a good walk which is largely when we cache. We rarely pick up the odd cache not on a good walk.

For such walks our Garmin Sat Nav did us proud for our first 200 caches. However, we got fed up with the battery draining and having to charge it (can't replace the batteries), the printed paper work with descriptions and hints, plus need for OS maps, which led to us investing in a proper GPS. We're thrilled with it, although do look back to the Sat Nav days and smile.

It's a great hobby, we've got our parents hooked and a couple of friends. No one can resist a smile at finding a well hidden cache on a walk!

I there I am new to all this but am surprised how many caches there are round here. I live in North Norfolk and am finding some of the clues a little vague but hope to get the hang of all this soon.

Hi and welcome.

To begin with, pick traditional caches with fairly low difficulty and terrain settings, the higher they get the hard the cache will be to find and get to, I would suggest aim look for ones up to a maximum of maybe a 2/2. Look for larger caches rather than a micro (film pot or smaller) and go for ones that it seems most people are finding without issues. Taking it gently will enable you to hone your skills and ensure you do find most of what you look for. We all fail to find caches, personally we seem very good at missing the easiest ones :laughing: but don't give up, if you can not find it post a DNF log and then come back a month or two in the future and you might walk straight upto it, or there again :rolleyes:

We are also well past 'Bus Pass' age as are many Geocachers that we know and have met. We visited Norfolk and Suffolk earlier this year to have a look around and also do a little Geocaching. It was like being on a Pilgrimage as we had never seen so many Church Micros anywhere else before in the country up to now, and literally just a few miles from each other as well, spires, round towers and square, you name it they have it. Great to get used to peoples hints, excellent to find and also very interesting. Kids will hate them however as they are all micros and no swaps!Another tip is to always read previous logs, its incredible what information that you can obtain from them. Enjoy, we do! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi

We're in Suffolk, trying to move back to Norfolk. Came across this topic looking to see what is happening around EA with other Geocachers. We live in Orford but also previously at Raf Coltishall I do believe that it was Sue & Bernie that first told my hubby Jonathan about Geocaching. We started when we lived in Stansted in. Essex. Just doing that odd one now and again. Lately we have been determined to do it much more often. Our 11 year old loves it even if its a micro. :-)

Hi Fianccetto

Thank you, I did find the site but its not open to anyone joining anymore. There is a link to Facebook, so I have requested to join. Even though we've been Geocaching since 2006, I've hardly been on this site. My hubby's been doing all the logging. I home educate our 11 year old so tend to get little time for things like this. But it is interesting hearing views from other Geocachers. And I always find it difficult to find a forum that I have left a message in. This time I've book marked it! Happy Geocaching :-)