Suspicious Tupperware

Pathfinder & Cowboy

-A woman called police at 3:35 p.m. Thursday after watching two men burying something in Waverly Park. After they left, the woman looked at the item, which was only partiall concealed, and saw that it was a Tupperware container with several objects inside. A police officer went to the park, dug up the plastic box and took it back to the station. It turned out to be a geocache used by people who hunt for hidden objects using handheld GPS devices. The officer threw the geocache away.

This notice was in the Police and Fire Reports just sharing the press that the geocaching game got this week in our area.

Not good:

(1) Buried and DUG ? I thought that was verboten.

(2) No permission obtained, I'll bet.

(3) Threw it away? No contact info in the cache, I'll bet.

Those 2 need to practice being stealthy......

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pathfinder & Cowboy:

two men burying something in Waverly Park.

buried? Ack!

quote:
which was only partially concealed

concealed? Oh.

quote:
dug up the plastic box

buried! Ack.

Was it buried or concealed? Regardless, I'm with DustyJacket.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Not good:

Those are all a lot of assumptions being made based on a rewrite of police report of unknown detail and accuracy.

1) Buried or concealed? Both are mentioned and although buried implies concealed I don’t know that concealed implies buried. Maybe the woman calling the police said buried and maybe it looked that way to her. But if she could see it was Tupperware and it contained items how could it have been buried and then how could a police officer have dug it out?

2) Maybe there was no need to obtain permission. Does every cache here have permission? That does not mean that the cache was wrong in being placed.

2) There had to have been enough information in or on the cache for them to know it was a geocache by name and what its reason for existing was? Did they even try to follow up by contacting anyone at this site?

My take is that a citizen saw two men doing something she had no what they were up to. Goes and checks it out, but obviously was not in fear of it because she approached it and then calls police. Police come and check it out but may still not get what the deal is and take it back to the station. Still it appears that nobody is concerned that this is of any harm. Then back at the station they see what it is but then are too lazy or don’t give a rat’s backside about it and toss it. At the very least they found some lost property and made no effort to return it.

Can we find out the area this cache was in and try to figure out which one it was? We really don’t know if these people were hiders or finders. Ok maybe they need to practice their ability to go stealth but I think most of us here have been caught with our hand in the cookie jar while caching once in a while.

Hmm... would you consider covered in dead leaves to be buried? Would an officer of the law or a passerby? I'd say that would be one possible interpretation of what the article listed.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Not good:

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Odds are on your side, but would the officer know to call the park to ask if someone got permission?

As for burying itself, even if you cover it in leaves or brush it's going to look like burying to a muggle. No way around it.

I wonder if the officer threw it away after reading the "This is a geocache" note?

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

i was harrassed the other day for nabbing a cache. i am large hairy persian man, roaming around a public park, searching through bushes and what not. yeah it looks suspicious. yeah it sucks that their are ignorant racists out there. but ya know what?. thats life and we gotta deal with it.

people should be more stealthy next time... unless you are white, then you dont have to worry... lol

kaveh aka nugunslinger

visit www.gaussboys.com for the best magnets out there!

quote:
people should be more stealthy next time... unless you are white, then you dont have to worry... lol

Yeah, us crazy white guys. We can do almost anything, but pop off with the N word and the ACLU, NAACP and the University of Michigan all go crazy at once. Of course, my other favorite is having my big shirt that says "WHITE-Y" on it so in case you are color blind or something or maybe just stupid, this way you'll recognize my incredibly obvious white superiority.

By the way, do large hairy persian men look like they might have come from Iraq?