GPS Co-ord help

I'm fairly new to all of this but had a quick question. A nearby multi-cache requires me to find the cache via a puzzle which when solved provides the GPS co-ordinates. I've got the co-ords but cannot for the life of me get them to work properly.

I'm using an iphone with the full Geocache app. The format of the co-ords in the cache are N12. 34.56E W123. 56.789

Is this the correct format? If so, can someone explain how I can use the app to map these co-ordinates please?

Cheers

Cache: GC23GMT

The Cache Owner is your best source for help in any case.

I fail to see how it's the CO's responsibility to help anyone use Groundspeak's app.

If the OP needs help getting coords, that's between him & the CO. But let him put the wrong coords into his GPS/app if he's worked the puzzle wrong.

Edited by dakboy

Hi andytheanimal

I'm not from England and looking at map of Newcastle my first thoughts would be that the cache is somewhere in Newcastle. So a north reference of 12 degrees should be your first clue that something might be wrong.

The second clue is that the cache owner has already set the west reference at 001 degrees and you've come up with a west reference of 123 degrees.

If you're really stuck on the puzzle perhaps you could sent some photos of the inscription on the Boer War Monument and someone may be willing to post the solution for you.

Regards

Lin

Hey all, thanks for your replies. The co-ords that I am using are actually xxxxxx (removed)

I'm not really asking for help with getting the co-ords that I should use but moreso, how with the iphone app or google maps or something, I can use these co-ords to view a map of where I need to go.

When I enter the co-ords as above in various webpages and things it doesn't locate anywhere suggesting that the format is wrong (regardless of the numbers).

Thanks

Edited by andytheanimal

On Google Earth go to Tools --> Options and in the 3D View tab set Show Lat/Long to Degrees, Decimal Minutes

Then in the main tab click on the little yellow stick pin an set

Latitude 54° 58.605'N

Longitude 1° 36.779'W

The new location should be about 120 meters on a bearing of about 150 degrees from GC23GMT

Hope this helps you. Sorry I don't have an iPhone so I cannot help you with that.

Regards

Lin

Edited by LinXG

Hey all, thanks for your replies. The co-ords that I am using are actually [removed] - the one I gave before was solely the format.

I'm not really asking for help with getting the co-ords that I should use but moreso, how with the iphone app or google maps or something, I can use these co-ords to view a map of where I need to go.

When I enter the co-ords as above in various webpages and things it doesn't locate anywhere suggesting that the format is wrong (regardless of the numbers).

Thanks

There are a couple of "." characters in the formula on the cache page that shouldn't be there (or should be degree symbols).

You want N AB C8.D0E W 001 FG.HIJ (or N AB° C8.D0E W 001° FG.HIJ) rather than N AB. C8.D0E W 001. FG.HIJ

OP. you asked 2 questions. The first being "is this the right format?". That could be part of the puzzle and questions on the puzzle should be asked to the cache owner. Your second question could also support this as the GC app does not have options to change the coord format when entering a new waypoint.

Now if all you where asking is how to enter a new waypoint in the app;

When navigating ti the waypoint ( it's best to navigate to this puzzle coords so the new waypoint is tied to the puzzle or multi cache) hit the flag in the upper right and input the coords and hit done, then done again. You are now navigating to that waypoint.

RoPeHe- guessing they are on the iPhone posting, there is no degree symbol available just as the is no HTML in the app for forum boards.