Geotrachers?

One of my favorite hides was taken recently, and someone placed a sticker" Geotrash at this site was removed and destroyed. Have a nice day". This was an ammo can that I went to great lengths to "magnetize", and hide under an old steam locomotive in Flagstaff, AZ. What gives? Has anyone else had their caches stolen in this manner? I archived the cache after this happened....

One of my favorite hides was taken recently, and someone placed a sticker" Geotrash at this site was removed and destroyed. Have a nice day". This was an ammo can that I went to great lengths to "magnetize", and hide under an old steam locomotive in Flagstaff, AZ. What gives? Has anyone else had their caches stolen in this manner? I archived the cache after this happened....

If the locomotive was interesting in and of itself, I would have replaced the container with something less elaborate and relisted it or made it part of a multi as a "question to answer" Typically these folks get bored after awhile.

I have an ammo can I've fitted with magnets from hard drives. I just don't have a good place to put the thing. I figured I'd just use a "size not chosen" listing and provide "magnetic" as a hint. Around here that often means a magnetic strip of numbers or letters affixed to a light pole or a transformer box or something with a log sheet affixed to the back side of the strip. A magnetic ammo can would throw the local cachers off and provide for a cache you could actually put travel items or (gasp!) swag into.

Yes, this is a problem.

Please don't make a huge fuss about it, move along.

Unfortunately ignoring it does not, and has not made it go away.

I wish I had a solution.

Maybe talking about it will help us find one.

Putting up motion detection cameras around caches in the area of this guy and catch him at it?

Talk to local police and ask them for ideas and assistance if we catch the guy?

What else?

One way to combat this type activity would be to allow virtuals in places like this.

<_<

Sure - then the land managers will ban all physical caches - just because virtuals are allowed - I saw it happen back when virtuals were still accepted.

Maybe they should if areas are getting trashed by Geocachers. <_<

I never intended to make any fuss about this, but wondered if anyone else had this problem. I had no idea this was even happening out there. I considered putting a note on the cache page," cache thieves, you are being watched". It was in a public place. Not sure if this would be any kind of a deterrent...

Most likely just the opposite of a deterrent. The dude left a note... that tells me that he wants attention. If he didn't, he would simply have taken the ammo box and said nothing. Right? Ignore him. That is what he does NOT want.

Yes, this is a problem.

I wish I had a solution.

Putting up motion detection cameras around caches in the area of this guy and catch him at it?

What else?

Yes, talking about it will help us find a solution.

Yes, this is a problem.

I wish I had a solution.

What else?

In many instances ignoring the thief does make it go away. Most of them do it for attention. If they receive none they stop.

One way to combat this type activity would be to allow virtuals in places like this.

<_<

Sure - then the land managers will ban all physical caches - just because virtuals are allowed - I saw it happen back when virtuals were still accepted.

Maybe they should if areas are getting trashed by Geocachers. <_<

Huh? Did you even read this thread? There is nothing here about an area getting "trashed by Geocachers". This is about an ammo can being stolen by a what some would call a "cache maggot" at what is apparently a very public area (a steam locomotive is almost always a tourist attraction).

What else?

But is it really illegal? I mean, the caches are in a public place, you wouldn't leave, say, a CD out there and expect it to still be there when you came back. It's theft but what can you do? Especially if the guy is claiming he's cleaning up litter.

What else?

But is it really illegal? I mean, the caches are in a public place, you wouldn't leave, say, a CD out there and expect it to still be there when you came back. It's theft but what can you do? Especially if the guy is claiming he's cleaning up litter.

How much time have you got? Cache maggot arrested (one of the Paul Repak threads)

This is a well-known issue in the Phoenix area.

Usually the perp concentrates on pointless micros in even more pointless locations.

Too bad they have (apparently) expanded their territory, and I'm saddened to hear they have included (what sounds like) a worthwhile cache.

EDIT: left out an 'n'

Edited by AZcachemeister

Yes, this is a problem.

I wish I had a solution.

What else?

In many instances ignoring the thief does make it go away. Most of them do it for attention. If they receive none they stop.

This person has been doing this since September of 2010 and shows no signs of stopping. We have lost a large # of caches to this person. And we are otherwise ignoring him and not saying anything - just quietly replacing caches... and caches keep getting stolen and replaced with that "geotrash" sticker.

Ignoring the problem will not make it go away. Giving it the right kind of attention, however, will.

Yes, this is a problem.

I wish I had a solution.

What else?

This person has been doing this since September of 2010 and shows no signs of stopping. We have lost a large # of caches to this person. And we are otherwise ignoring him and not saying anything - just quietly replacing caches... and caches keep getting stolen and replaced with that "geotrash" sticker.

Ignoring the problem will not make it go away. Giving it the right kind of attention, however, will.

Which is what?

Yes, this is a problem.

I wish I had a solution.

What else?

Which is what?

Be keeping a close watch on the caches you pass on a regular basis. This person has been known to make return trips. When the person is caught we can then have another Paul whats-his-name story to tell about him being arrested.

I agree. :grin:

I agree. :grin:

Not going to tell anyone how to deal with cache maggots. I do know this, some folks have their priorities wrong. Eco-sensitive areas? A popular cache is going to cause a trail to get laid down. But then again, the eco-clowns won't be happy until only "the enlightened" are allowed to appreciate nature.

I guess they never figure that it is because of things like geocaching, that the next generation even knows that there are reasons for putting down the Play Station and getting up off the coach.

Thanks Geocaching.com - you've helped me come to appreciate nature. Not "Forrest Defenders" and his make believe army of followers.

Not going to tell anyone how to deal with cache maggots. I do know this, some folks have their priorities wrong. Eco-sensitive areas? A popular cache is going to cause a trail to get laid down. But then again, the eco-clowns won't be happy until only "the enlightened" are allowed to appreciate nature.

Yet for the most part popular caches are not in "eco sensitive areas" so this isn't an issue at all. Popular caches tend to be in easily accessible places.

But I do agree with you on one point. The areas that these eco extremists are trying to protect won't exist in a hundred years unless there is a new generation that appreciates them. Geocaching is a great way to bring the kids outdoors and allow them to gain an appreciation of these areas. Some of them will grow up to become the stewards of these lands and if geocaching is the tool that brings them there, I'm willing to let the environment suffer a few bent blades of grass.

Edited by briansnat