78S Locking UP

Thrak

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 78S. Same form factor as the 76CSx I used before and "should" be the same guts as the 62S since the 60CSx and the 76CSx were the same guts.

When I first got it the unit would tend to lock when recalculating a route on the road or when switching from "on road" to "off road" calculation. I installed a Beta firmware and the issue went away. It's been solid ever since.

I just upgraded the maps to the newest mapset and the issue is back. I checked for firmware updates and all I found was the same beta version. I reinstalled it over the top of the previous install but the problem persists.

Any thoughts, ideas, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated. It's REALLY p1551n6 me off.

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 78s and it has what sounds like the same problem. When I am out for a day of geocaching about 8-10 times over the day (maybe once an hour) the 78s will shut down as if I had hit the OFF button. I can't detect any pattern in this but it is always when I have just selected a new screen. When I turn it on again it is fine....until the next crash. I have the latest firmware installed.